Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
DIY solution available. I suggest to read entire post from beginning.

Template

And for anyone looking to print that, just make sure you use PETG or ABS for it. PLA isn’t going to handle the exhaust from the CPU heat sink all that well. :)

lostinforums

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2015
I’d like to ask, i have a 2009 Mac Pro and would like to take my 3 hdd internals out of it and use them as externals on a new Mac Pro 7,1. How could I do that? If I even can lol

thanks

lostinforums

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2015
Ah ok, I was thinking I could use my old internal hdd’s and put them in a caddy connected to the new Mac Pro via thunderbolt 3

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I’d like to ask, i have a 2009 Mac Pro and would like to take my 3 hdd internals out of it and use them as externals on a new Mac Pro 7,1. How could I do that? If I even can lol

thanks
Penny-wise, pound-foolish IMO.

Putting old, slow, probably end-of-life HDDs into a new system is asking for trouble. If the drives are from 2009, they're already past their shelf life and you should sing hosannas every time that they spin up after a power shutdown.

For $125 you could get a 6 TB USB 3.0 external drive that will probably far outperform your old spinners. Double that to $250, and you can find USB 3 dual-disk RAID-0/RAID-1 (12TB/6TB) externals.

New, faster, in-warranty USB drives will amount to a fraction of the sales tax on a 7,1.

Last edited:
Reactions: OkiRun

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012

thanks

Yes, put them in any properly sized USB enclosure and they will work fine as storage only devices. You will a USB C cable (0n one end) to the NcMP.

Lou

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Sonnet Fusion Flex J3i might be what some in this thread are looking for:

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^GREAT - But

Looks like the J3i device will cost $200. The Promise J2i costs $380 - $400. An 8TB 3½" drive is about $150. So the promise device is around $230 sans drive (but NA). So maybe $200. is not far off ?

I'm down for one?

And maybe this will push Pegasus to offer the J2i without drives.

Lou

Reactions: xtol121

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
Sonnet Fusion Flex J3i might be what some in this thread are looking for:

Wow, that's so lame. On the one hand, at least you dont have to buy a drive you dont need. And I guess shaving a place for the small 2.5" drive is nice, but man, it's still so jank.

Instead of having some daisy chain SATA solution one connects as a USB drive? I guess that limitation is by apple only providing 2 ports, but I got to think one could add some kind of splitter controller or something. Also, it still uses the space inefficiently.

I'd like someone to make whatever is the maximum size cage in there, but provide options to put in like 5 2.5" drives, or one 3.5" drive and 3 2.5" drives.

I think maybe the solution is getting some 3D printer folks to spec out some variations.

I welcome the alternative, but $200 for a bracket and some cables still seems very price gougey.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Also I find it odd that Sonnet doesn't know what a NcMP looks like from the outside ?

TinyGrab Screen Shot 5-27-20, 10.44.37 AM.png

Lou

alzatron

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2007
I have a Pegasus J2i still in the box as I have not installed it yet.
When I purchased it, I had no desire for the 8 TB rotating drive. I had assumed I could take it out and replace it with a solid-state drive. Will that not work?
I have a number of 2012 Mac Pros with solid-state drives that slide right in with a OWC adapter.

What stops a person from installing a SSD using a 2.5 inch to 3.5 inch drive adapter?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^It certainly should work. A 2½" drive with the proper 3½" adapter should work just fine. A have a couple of Samsung 2½" SSDs that I pulled from my 5,1 cMP before I sold it that I'm planning on installing in the J3i when it's released by Sonnet. I use this adapter:

Post #8

Lou

Matrix1776

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2020
So I just buy this and pop in two 16TB drives? The 8 being a toss away.
Can I buy their raid 4 drive and do the same? Put 4 16TB drives? I already have the drives so that’s not a cost factor.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^

Question 1 - Yes

Question 2 - Sure, but the R4 is external. The beauty of the J2i and J3i is that's they're internal ?

Lou

MatrixRabbit

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2018
Sorry I meant the Pegasus R4i 32TB that is internal. Swapping the drives doubles that...and especially since 20TB's will be out later this year.

I do have a Lacie 6big 60TB that I'm debating selling so the drives can be internal. That'll pay for the R4i easily.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Hmm - Maybe ❓ that's what they meant Unknown.jpeg

Sorry I meant the Pegasus R4i 32TB that is internal. Swapping the drives doubles that...and especially since 20TB's will be out later this year.

Oh, I had forgotten about that oneo_O That means throwing away 4 HDDs:eek:

Lou

Last edited:

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Looks like Promise is now selling the cable separately:

Wont why they are not selling the cage w/o drives ❓

Lou

LEOMODE

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
Southern California
It looks like Sonnet Fusion J3i offers 3 drives with 2.5" option too which is way better and flexible than Promise J2i, but the cables are not black so it does look a bit messier. Would there be any advantages still going with Promise other than the fact that it's sold on Apple Store (probably endorsed by Apple) which can also mean stability on the hardware itself?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^See this thread:

I have the J3I, running three 2½" SSDs. Some folks are reporting a "Disk Not Ejected Properly" message for the SSD connected by USB. Attributed to a bad cable. I have not had the issue. A couple things I like about the J3I over the J2I are:

1. Holds a third drive.

2. All the devices are mounted right side up. On the J2i one of the drives is mounted upside down and the other right side up.

I see no advantage with the Promise J2I and one big disadvantage - YOU HAVE TO BUY IT WITH AN HDD ?

Lou

Matrix1776

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2020
That would be perfect :/ What do you think I can do with my practically NIB 60TB Lacie 6Big? Toss it on eBay? Maybe pull the drives and use it for these adapters? I'm not sure it's any easier to sell an empty shell. I hate to mess with any warranties. PM if you want to know more about it. Is there any big HDD adapters?

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
That would be perfect :/ What do you think I can do with my practically NIB 60TB Lacie 6Big? Toss it on eBay? Maybe pull the drives and use it for these adapters? I'm not sure it's any easier to sell an empty shell. I hate to mess with any warranties. PM if you want to know more about it. Is there any big HDD adapters?
Why not just... use it? If you need the space it seems odd to shuck the drives and then futz about to get an adapter for them

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.