Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

forgetcolor

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2012
Those of you who have 12.2, is the ProMotion keyboard shortcut-based desktop switching bug fixed?

In case you aren't aware of this bug, with ProMotion enabled, switching desktops using the keyboard shortcuts (^<— and ^—> by default IIRC) produces an extra long delay time before the switched-to desktop becomes "active." You can usually see this pretty easily because aspects of the frontmost window/interface don't visually come to the foreground until the delayed "switch" is finished. If you turn off ProMotion (to say 60Hz), that delay is shortened significantly.

I'll add that Monterey also has some new kind of input blocking on keyboard-based switching that wasn't there on my last setup (Mojave), in that you sometimes can't go "back" to the prior desktop until the visual transition to the current/new one is finished. Used to be you could always quickly go back/forth all you wanted.

forgetcolor

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2012
Those of you who have 12.2, is the ProMotion keyboard shortcut-based desktop switching bug fixed?

In case you aren't aware of this bug, with ProMotion enabled, switching desktops using the keyboard shortcuts (^<— and ^—> by default IIRC) produces an extra long delay time before the switched-to desktop becomes "active." You can usually see this pretty easily because aspects of the frontmost window/interface don't visually come to the foreground until the delayed "switch" is finished. If you turn off ProMotion (to say 60Hz), that delay is shortened significantly.

I'll add that Monterey also has some new kind of input blocking on keyboard-based switching that wasn't there on my last setup (Mojave), in that you sometimes can't go "back" to the prior desktop until the visual transition to the current/new one is finished. Used to be you could always quickly go back/forth all you wanted.
Well, I went ahead and installed 12.2 and very sadly, this particular ProMotion bug is not fixed. I left a bug report using Feedback Assistant so hopefully someday maybe. I should add that I also tried this from the same laptop on an external monitor ... so with the internal display at 120Hz and the external at, well whatever it is by default (probably 30 or 60hz), and the results are telling. In that configuration, Space switching via keyboard (or gesture) is 2-3x slower than normal, while Space switching on the external display is the normal speed! So ProMotion is definitely the trigger.

Last edited:

forgetcolor

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2012
I have to add that I'm still seeing scroll stuttering in Safari (and Chrome) with 12.2 beta. Where I most frequently see it is near the end of scroll -- as it slows down to 0, it's noticeably stuttery. Same at

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
I don't have 12.2 yet but IMO scrolling has gotten so, so much better in 12.1 than the original build that shipped on the new MBPs. It's not perfect but it's a huge improvement and I no longer feel like the scrolling is broken in Safari. Can't wait to see 12.2.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
I don't have 12.2 yet but IMO scrolling has gotten so, so much better in 12.1 than the original build that shipped on the new MBPs. It's not perfect but it's a huge improvement and I no longer feel like the scrolling is broken in Safari. Can't wait to see 12.2.

I would agree with this. I was shocked by how stuttery safari was out of the box when I purchased mine a couple of months ago. For everythign I loved about the new MacBook Pro's, scrolling was awful. 12.1 is a massive improvement that was immediately noticeable for me and hopefully 12.2 is even better.

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
Safari on 12.2 is still bad the only way it’s fixed is download the safari preview one and there’s an option to not let safari limit to 60hz and now it’s blazing fast and smooth I don’t think the final version of 12.2 will have it in it maybe the next version

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Safari on 12.2 is still bad the only way it’s fixed is download the safari preview one and there’s an option to not let safari limit to 60hz and now it’s blazing fast and smooth I don’t think the final version of 12.2 will have it in it maybe the next version
Would you mind sharing WHERE that option in the Safari Preview is? I looked around Preferences and through a bunch of items in Develop menu but did not see it. Thanks.

vivid.gear71

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2021
Would you mind sharing WHERE that option in the Safari Preview is? I looked around Preferences and through a bunch of items in Develop menu but did not see it. Thanks.
1642827910973.png

maybe this one ? develop -> experimental features ->

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
View attachment 1947710

maybe this one ? develop -> experimental features ->
I unchecked it and restarted Safari Preview, but didn't really notice a difference. Scrolling through the front page of macrumors still stutters a bit and everything looks like a blur when scrolling. I read the screen itself is very slow (timing or something) that makes the 120Hz look terrible. My iPhone 13 Pro Max is smoother by far.

Tried Chrome, too, and still not impressed.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I'm not impressed at all in the way 120hz is implemented on MBP and it's essentially meaningless. Oh goody, scrolling through apps is a tiny bit smoother. On the iPhone there is a stark difference so I'm not sure why Apple dropped the ball here.

themacmeister

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2011
I’m beginning to think desktop OSs, due to their complexity and heft, are not capable of providing the fluid animations of iOS. The inertial scrolling, fluidity, and overall responsiveness of an iPad Pro or iPhone 13 Pro are significantly better than ProMotion on all the 1st party apps on the new Macbook Pros. Can anyone comment on how 120Hz feels on Windows?

Reactions: Moyapilot

high3r

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2015
Hungary
I still wonder why media outlets do not report about this as it was a headlining feature that is not working as it was advertised on stage at WWDC. It is better than 60Hz for sure but it doesn't match the smoothness of an iPad Pro (must be the same mini lcd screen just bigger).

Nathan King

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2016
Omaha, NE
I’m beginning to think desktop OSs, due to their complexity and heft, are not capable of providing the fluid animations of iOS. The inertial scrolling, fluidity, and overall responsiveness of an iPad Pro or iPhone 13 Pro are significantly better than ProMotion on all the 1st party apps on the new Macbook Pros. Can anyone comment on how 120Hz feels on Windows?
It’s very possible. I’m running KDE with the Kwin compositor on a Linux machine, and it’s perfectly fluid, even with transparency effects and animations.

Reactions: Moyapilot

bryanrs

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2016
I don't have one of these new macbook pros to check but this sure does sound weird, it doesn't really make sense. Can everyone please specify what type of scrolling you are noticing issues with? There is trackpad, magic mouse, mice that have "notched" wheels, keyboard up and down arrows etc.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Noticed that Chrome is not working properly with ProMotion. Is there any beta version that fixes this?
Came here for same. I could swear Chrome used to scroll smoother. On latest Chrome 98 for arm64, and testufo almost always shows it at 60 hz. I can do something screwy to make the test pop up to 120 hz, like if I full screen the browser, but with normal use it's stuck at 60 and seems bugged. Is anyone else seeing this?

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
Came here for same. I could swear Chrome used to scroll smoother. On latest Chrome 98 for arm64, and testufo almost always shows it at 60 hz. I can do something screwy to make the test pop up to 120 hz, like if I full screen the browser, but with normal use it's stuck at 60 and seems bugged. Is anyone else seeing this?
I can't really explain this, but after a while Chrome started doing 120hz out of the blue. Now that it went to sleep is back to 60hz

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
I can't really explain this, but after a while Chrome started doing 120hz out of the blue. Now that it went to sleep is back to 60hz
It's so weird. I compared it side by side next to my wife's Intel MBA. It definitely is much smoother than hers stuck at 60. But less smooth than safari, and still a fair number of stutters. And slightly smoother in full screen. And also, the UFO test shows 120 when in full screen, or when I have just exited full screen, though it starts to throw a lot of errors at that point. I don't really know what's going on, but I just wanted to make sure this was the behavior seen on other systems too!

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
It's so weird. I compared it side by side next to my wife's Intel MBA. It definitely is much smoother than hers stuck at 60. But less smooth than safari, and still a fair number of stutters. And slightly smoother in full screen. And also, the UFO test shows 120 when in full screen, or when I have just exited full screen, though it starts to throw a lot of errors at that point. I don't really know what's going on, but I just wanted to make sure this was the behavior seen on other systems too!
Got it! You actually have to disable hardware acceleration in settings to activate the 120hz, bizarre

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.