Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

temende

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2021
What do you mean? It's still there

Updated smooth scroll animations to run at 120Hz on 120Hz displays (r285094)
OK yeah they added it back but with different wording to emphasize that it's only for smooth scroll animations, not default scrolling behavior. So I wouldn't consider the issue "fixed" until all scrolling in Safari operates at 120hz (as they implied in the October event).

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68030
Sep 19, 2021
If the ProMotion tech's adaptive refresh rate is ridiculous enough to require apps to 'opt in' to 120Hz that's an instant fail and oversight because legacy apps won't be updated. Hopefully someone comes out with an app that lets you lock in 120Hz without the adaptive nonsense.
Gosh I'd love to get such an app,of ,let's dream,an option in macOS settings ,to force 120hz everywhere..and Everytime.when I'm plugged in for example,I don't mind the display being 120hz refreshed

Reactions: uecker87

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
It is supposedly in the Safari Tech Preview Release, which is different ..

No, it's not. I'm testing the Tech Preview and it's not any different from stock Safari. Scrolling is still not as smooth as it can be.

bryanrs

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2016
I don't mean to change the subject but since there are a lot of folks checking out this thread about scrolling, is it just me or does Safari lack "smooth scrolling" if you're scrolling with a mouse wheel? Chrome for macOS has had this type of smooth scrolling since version 91...

featherlessbird

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2021
I don't mean to change the subject but since there are a lot of folks checking out this thread about scrolling, is it just me or does Safari lack "smooth scrolling" if you're scrolling with a mouse wheel? Chrome for macOS has had this type of smooth scrolling since version 91...
Yep, there's no smooth scrolling for third-party mice in macOS. You can you third-party tools to achieve it, Mos, for example.

bryanrs

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2016
Yep, there's no smooth scrolling for third-party mice in macOS. You can you third-party tools to achieve it, Mos, for example.
Are you sure it's actually aimed against 3rd party mice though? I think and hope it's just that, the Magic Mouse doesn't have a wheel (scrolling on the Magic Mouse works just like a trackpad, mouse wheel scrolling works in a different way) so I guess everyone on the Safari/Webkit team either uses a trackpad or the Magic Mouse and this type of smooth scrolling is like a blindspot for them. I have nothing against the trackpad or Magic Mouse but I just need to use a mouse wheel. Anyways, is this a known issue? I really hope they add smooth scrolling for mouse wheels

featherlessbird

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2021
Are you sure it's actually aimed against 3rd party mice though? I think and hope it's just that, the Magic Mouse doesn't have a wheel (scrolling on the Magic Mouse works just like a trackpad, mouse wheel scrolling works in a different way) so I guess everyone on the Safari/Webkit team either uses a trackpad or the Magic Mouse and this type of smooth scrolling is like a blindspot for them. I have nothing against the trackpad or Magic Mouse but I just need to use a mouse wheel. Anyways, is this a known issue? I really hope they add smooth scrolling for mouse wheels
Yes, they just want you to buy a Magic Mouse I guess.

bryanrs

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2016
Yes, they just want you to buy a Magic Mouse I guess.
Come on now, Apple is not this petty. They sell mice with wheels in their stores, they have a decent relationship with Logitech etc. I honestly think the Safari/Webkit people are just not aware of this lack of smooth scrolling because they all use trackpads or the Magic Mouse

bryanrs

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2016
Gosh sorry for double posting, I meant to write this in my original post (I need to start drinking coffee again haha): I hope this doesn't come across in a jerky/negative way because I really don't mean it to, but if you're a Safari user and you're using a mouse that has a wheel, the absence of "smooth scrolling" is a far, far bigger problem than Safari being stuck at 60Hz. In fact, if you're a Safari user and you're using a mouse with a wheel, I'm pretty sure that once Safari does get 120Hz support, it won't benefit you at all, because the scrolling isn't animated (that type of smooth scrolling for mouse wheels is sometimes called "animated scrolling"). The device could have a fixed 240Hz refresh rate, but if there is no smooth scrolling when using the mouse wheel, it'll be just as awful as it is on a 60Hz mac. So if you're using a mouse that has a wheel, I would use Chrome until Apple fixes this. (I believe Firefox also has smooth scrolling for mouse wheels but oh boy, Firefox for macOS is miles behind Safari and Chrome I'm sorry to say)

Frequent92

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2021
Alright well I'm on the Dev Beta 3 (21C5039b) and Safari Controlled scrolling is now 120hz, inertia scrolling still needs work (slight better in safari). New beta has now made inertia scrolling which was just about perfect on a third party browsers now worse. So now Safari is better but the better option is now worse for browsing content.

Maybe one day inertia scrolling with actually work properly across the board.

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
Alright well I'm on the Dev Beta 3 (21C5039b) and Safari Controlled scrolling is now 120hz, inertia scrolling still needs work (slight better in safari). New beta has now made inertia scrolling which was just about perfect on a third party browsers now worse. So now Safari is better but the better option is now worse for browsing content.

Maybe one day inertia scrolling with actually work properly across the board.
Any other bugs so far? Also if you don't mind me asking. If you're showing the menu bar even on full screen apps. Does the trackpad gestures work properly now? I've heard on beta 2 it broke the trackpad gestures on full screen if you show the menu bar even on full screen apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.