Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
Why do people keep referencing BlurBusters? It shows 60hz on both my iPhone 13 Pro Max as well as the M1 iPad Pro. I also agree that it feels like it isn't 120hz on the new MacBook Pro's, but the BlurBusters test is meaningless right now.

Reactions: TheRain

Frequent92

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2021
If anyone cares I am on the latest build (21C5031d) and Safari is still locked to 60hz and inertia scrolling is scuffed and jittery.

However, Inertia scrolling in third party browsers is running significantly smoother at 120hz with very minor hicups than the previous build along with the already controlled scrolling 120hz.

As I prefer safari this is still disappointing and quite hilarious that the variable refresh rate is working better on a non native application.

Better luck next build ?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
If anyone cares I am on the latest build (21C5031d) and Safari is still locked to 60hz and inertia scrolling is scuffed and jittery.

However, Inertia scrolling in third party browsers is running significantly smoother at 120hz with very minor hicups than the previous build along with the already controlled scrolling 120hz.

As I prefer safari this is still disappointing and quite hilarious that the variable refresh rate is working better on a non native application.

Better luck next build ?
It's really crazy that Apple's own browser is still borked here. So unlike them, especially coming from the glorious iPhone 13 Pro Safari 120hz.

monkeydax

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
Totally cannot understand how Apple can release it without first making Safari compatible. Though one possibility is getting the devices ready for the holidays.

Please update if anyone sees this fixed!

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
Is the new beta stable compared the the beta 1 of 12.1? More fixed issues than broken?

Inertia scrolling better on other browsers?

beardev

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2020
I can confirm that intertial scrolling is much better in 12.1 beta 2, especially in browsers other than Safari (though it is still improved in Safari). But the ramping down of the refresh rate is very very aggressive and looks terrible to me.

I don't even notice it on the iPhone, but on the Mac, the refresh rate clamping down on inertia scrolling makes it look like the screen is tearing or frames are being dropped and it looks horrible. It's really inconsistent too, sometimes (maybe 1/5 times) the scroll looks perfectly smooth the entire time like it does on the new phones. But most of the time it looks choppy and terrible. IMO it's even worse than a pure 60hz, because the inconsistency in the way it ramps down gives me the feeling of inconsistent frame pacing and choppiness that I associate mentally with performance issues.

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
I can confirm that intertial scrolling is much better in 12.1 beta 2, especially in browsers other than Safari (though it is still improved in Safari). But the ramping down of the refresh rate is very very aggressive and looks terrible to me.

I don't even notice it on the iPhone, but on the Mac, the refresh rate clamping down on inertia scrolling makes it look like the screen is tearing or frames are being dropped and it looks horrible. It's really inconsistent too, sometimes (maybe 1/5 times) the scroll looks perfectly smooth the entire time like it does on the new phones. But most of the time it looks choppy and terrible. IMO it's even worse than a pure 60hz, because the inconsistency in the way it ramps down gives me the feeling of inconsistent frame pacing and choppiness that I associate mentally with performance issues.
So on other browsers, does the inertia scrolling looks better or worse than 12.1 beta 1?

Also so far is it stable? any new issues? Or things fixed that you noticed?

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK

it looks choppy with the recording but compare the choppiness, I'm not seeing a difference.

wait lol I would need to record this on my iPhone at 240fps probably

This just doesn't make sense to me. I know the scrolling in Safari is limited to 60Hz but it's still smooth as silk on my MBP. Sure, I know 120Hz would be smoother still but mine is currently nothing like what's shown in this video.

Furthermore, that video is a 30fps screen recording so I'm not sure how its creator intended to show off an issue as anything untowards could just as easily be attributed to the frame rate of the video rather than the refresh rate of the screen.

beardev

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2020
So on other browsers, does the inertia scrolling looks better or worse than 12.1 beta 1?

Also so far is it stable? any new issues? Or things fixed that you noticed?
It looks better to me, but it still needs a lot of work. I haven’t noticed any stability issues, but apparently there’s issues with trackpad gestures in full screen apps which is something I never use.

Reactions: white7561

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

Agreed 100%. It’s the inconsistency that makes it even worse than standard 60hz. ?

Reactions: MDMac

pancakesouffle

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2021
So I've been experience this on my m1 max and I had no idea, pulled up apple's quartz debug and the frame rate viewer that it comes with and it confirmed my suspicions about everything just running at 60 fps/Hz. But it was only after I turned off low power mode in battery settings did I start getting above 60 fps, now everything is buttery smooth. With mac os 12.01, and low power mode turned off safari gets around 96 fps in ufo test, with chrome and brave getting the full 120 fps

pancakesouffle

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2021
The other bug apparently is that when it's plugged in even with promotion enabled. It caps at 60Hz, as soon as i take it off wall power boom it's back (using the 96w charger)

pancakesouffle

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2021
ok another update turns out there's a lower mode option even for the power adapter, turning that off removes the cap of 60 hz

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.