Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Just did a screen capture and the difference is much more perceptible in real life. The capture does show the issue, especially when it is slowed down, but I feel it doesn't have the same impact.
Yeah I did as well, uploading shortly. captured at 240 fps. ahh youtube does not preserve slow mo?

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
It is not as "smooth" as apple news, i am not sure if that's refresh rate or apple news just being way more optimized than desktop safari?

Either way, to me it's a massive improvement from 12.0.1, enough for me to keep using safari over chrome. I'm ok with the scrolling performance at this point, if it can get faster, that'll be great.

Frequent92

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2021
It’s not as smooth as apple news but it’s smoother than 12.0.1.
Yeah I can contest after messing with it and test it against other things the inertia scrolling is slightly less jittery and the scrolling done by holding your finger on the trackpad and scrolling is a bit smoother on 12.1 beta but its half baked. Seems like the beta may be progressing it but still not up to standard at all.

Reactions: uecker87

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
I’ve been searching Twitter doesn’t seem like a big deal but at least Reddit apple it’s one of the top threads.

Apple needs to at least offer 120hz always on mode until they can fix the safari issues. I think it’s deeper than they are letting on.

LiemTa

Suspended
Jun 2, 2014
Is there a workaround for Chrome at the moment? Aside from disabling inertial scrolling.

temende

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2021
In John Gruber's review, he seems to indicate that 120Hz was working for him in Safari:

"It’s fun to scroll web pages and drag entire windows around, just to see how smooth the 120 Hz refresh rate looks" https://daringfireball.net/2021/10/the_2021_14-inch_macbook_pro

And here's Joanna Stern, also claiming she saw 120Hz in Safari/Chrome:
"The ProMotion technology—which ratchets up the screen refresh to 120 times a second when needed—also makes everything feel snappier, especially when scrolling through long webpages" https://www.wsj.com/articles/apple-macbook-pro-laptop-review-2021-11635451575

Some of these reviewers are so useless..

temende

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2021
Shocked that this hasn't been addressed or even mentioned recently. If this isn't resolved by the end of my return policy I will probably return and later rebuy whenever it is resolved. Most of my scrolling takes place in a web browser - as I'm sure it is for most people.
Agreed. It seems like a lot of reviewers have hedged by saying they "don't really notice ProMotion". I will also return mine if this issue isn't fixed by then since a big reason I'm buying this is the ProMotion display.

uecker87

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2014
Madison, WI
For the fun of it I have been trying some iOS iPad based browsers on my MBP14. Try out Dolphin Browser from the iPad App Store and see how smooth scrolling is. It is night and day VS Safari even on the 12.1 beta.

Apple, fix this! It would be so much better with proper support. Seeing the scrolling in the iPad based browser on this machine shows how it should be.

Reactions: MDMac

FishyFish

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2015
West Coast
This is still not fixed in macOS 12.1 beta. Scrolling is still very choppy.

In fact, scrolling in Safari is identical on the Pro Display XDR (60Hz) and the new MBP screen (ProMotion) if you look in slow motion.

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
For the fun of it I have been trying some iOS iPad based browsers on my MBP14. Try out Dolphin Browser from the iPad App Store and see how smooth scrolling is. It is night and day VS Safari even on the 12.1 beta.

Apple, fix this! It would be so much better with proper support. Seeing the scrolling in the iPad based browser on this machine shows how it should be.
oooh smart.

beardev

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2020
To my eye, it looks like 120hz scrolling on safari (albeit with some dropped frames and weird tearing issues) but as soon you stop touching the trackpad and inertial scrolling takes over it instantly locks to 60. Dragging the vertical scrollbar also looks like 60 to me.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston

Wow, this is the big eye opener for me - I just tried Dolphin Browser for iPad and it's buttery smooth on my 14". I know the iOS browsers handle pages a bit differently under the hood to save power but I don't see why one of the world's most powerful CPU/GPU SoCs can't smoothly scroll under macOS using native browsers.

I hope they fix this, and I hope this aggressive frame rate ramping isn't key to the battery life claims or something.

Reactions: uecker87

DjanSeriyAnaplian

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2017
Presumably this is still an issue guys? I went into the Apple store to discuss this and was told it was up to individual developers to enable 120hz compatibility. When I explained that it clearly didn't work in Safari either they told me I was just wrong.

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
Presumably this is still an issue guys? I went into the Apple store to discuss this and was told it was up to individual developers to enable 120hz compatibility. When I explained that it clearly didn't work in Safari either they told me I was just wrong.
Afaik it's still an issue as of now. But I don't use safari. I use chrome. I think for chrome it works fine , 120hz and all but the intertia scrolling is still at 60fps. . That's the last info I've heard

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.