Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Sorry for the noobiness, but I have been using backgrounder and like it. Does this switcher need backgrounder installed, or is it a standalone backgrounder/switcher?

Thank you
Michael

It uses the backgrounder, ProSwitcher is basically the frontend to it.

iCheddar

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2007
South Dakota
Oh this is absolutely brilliant. I FINALLY have a decent multitasking solution for my iPad. Alpha or not, Proswitcher is working perfectly for me. So pleased!

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Those running into the occasional "Frozzen Springboard" issue. Go into ProSwitcher settings and under Activation Methods select Home Button "Single Press".

GinoDotCom

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Those running into the occasional "Frozzen Springboard" issue. Go into ProSwitcher settings and under Activation Methods select Home Button "Single Press".

Wouldn't this mean every time you exit an app by pressing the home button, you're essentially activating pro switcher? If so, i'm not sure who would want this function?

My springboard was freezing almost everytime ever since I installed pro switcher. I had to uninstall it until some further progress is made because it was just too much freezing up for me.

Looking forward to giving it another shot very soon.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Wouldn't this mean every time you exit an app by pressing the home button, you're essentially activating pro switcher? If so, i'm not sure who would want this function?

My springboard was freezing almost everytime ever since I installed pro switcher. I had to uninstall it until some further progress is made because it was just too much freezing up for me.

Looking forward to giving it another shot very soon.

Yes it does, but you can simply press the home button again and your back to your Springboard.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
These settings seem to be the least buggy.

4709944759_a92718938d_b.jpg

4710583770_a1233b12ce_b.jpg

4710584296_f7f92b8701_b.jpg

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
Im not quite understanding why people prefer Pro Switcher over Circuitous. As far as I can tell, it's only plus over Circuitous is a better graphical interface but with that comes the fact that you have to swipe left and right to see the open apps. With Circuitous, you see all the icons at once of what is open and its very quick to switch between them.

What am I missing here?

GinoDotCom

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Im not quite understanding why people prefer Pro Switcher over Circuitous. As far as I can tell, it's only plus over Circuitous is a better graphical interface but with that comes the fact that you have to swipe left and right to see the open apps. With Circuitous, you see all the icons at once of what is open and its very quick to switch between them.

What am I missing here?

That's about it. Though I must admit, pro switcher does feel more natural and the better graphical display is no knock over either. It's a big part to a user experience.

GinoDotCom

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Yes it does, but you can simply press the home button again and your back to your Springboard.

Any other activation method I can try out that won't crash my springboard? Setting it to the home button is something I won't ever consider doing.

Btw, it wasn't the actual activation method when executing that was crashing my springboard.. I noticed the crash happening more when waking up the iPad.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Any other activation method I can try out that won't crash my springboard? Setting it to the home button is something I won't ever consider doing.

Btw, it wasn't the actual activation method when executing that was crashing my springboard.. I noticed the crash happening more when waking up the iPad.

After a lot of trial and error, I think I've figured it out. At least for my iPad.

If Springboard freezes after waking, try this.

- Activate ProSwitcher

- Press the Home Button to return to Springboard. Springboard should now be unfrozen.

- Open the iPod app

- Press the Home Button to return to Springboard

And that's it, Springboard should no longer freeze after waking. Turns out you need to keep one app running in the background to keep Springboard from freezing after waking. Please note that if you "Reboot" you'll have to do the above procedure again.

That being said... I'd like to say,

COME ONE DEV!!! FIX THIS!!!

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I I uninstalled the app, a lot of my apps started to crash more often for some reason. I uninstalled it and now it's a bit more stable. I know its alpha but it was working fine for a couple of days. Must be memory leaks over time causing instability all over.

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
I set mine up with single press home button, and selected "Background" under "Become Home Screen".

Basically this amounts to having ProSwitcher the default app manager, things automatically background much like a normal OS. I quit out of things manually that I don't want running.

Combined with VM, I generally have 5-6 apps running at all times, no significant drop in battery life.

In my Dock I have a categories folder called "Apps", as well as 4 most used applications. I don't even use the Springboard anymore.. all goes through ProSwitcher/Categories. :)

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
I set mine up with single press home button, and selected "Background" under "Become Home Screen".

Basically this amounts to having ProSwitcher the default app manager, things automatically background much like a normal OS. I quit out of things manually that I don't want running.

Combined with VM, I generally have 5-6 apps running at all times, no significant drop in battery life.

In my Dock I have a categories folder called "Apps", as well as 4 most used applications. I don't even use the Springboard anymore.. all goes through ProSwitcher/Categories. :)

I have the same set-up minus Categories.

I agree, this app shines when Virtual memory is utilized.

krimsen

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2005
I I uninstalled the app, a lot of my apps started to crash more often for some reason. I uninstalled it and now it's a bit more stable. I know its alpha but it was working fine for a couple of days. Must be memory leaks over time causing instability all over.

I experienced this, too. Despite really liking ProSwitcher, I uninstalled it for now, because after half a day of using the iPad, I had no memory left, even when making sure everything was closed.

GinoDotCom

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
I have the same set-up minus Categories.

I agree, this app shines when Virtual memory is utilized.

When you mention virtual memory do you mean the physical memory in the iPad or is this some sort of cydia app?

I tried pro switcher again with the home button as the activator.. I must admit, I like this setup.

Another quick question: what does the 'become home screen' option activate or do?

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
When you mention virtual memory do you mean the physical memory in the iPad or is this some sort of cydia app?

I tried pro switcher again with the home button as the activator.. I must admit, I like this setup.

Another quick question: what does the 'become home screen' option activate or do?

Here's how to activate Virtual Memory.

http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288228

I am also unclear about, "Become Home Screen".

leader288

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2008
Hi guys,
Would like to know what are your settings for the backgrounder: default backgrounding method and the rest...

Thanks

l288

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Hi guys,
Would like to know what are your settings for the backgrounder: default backgrounding method and the rest...

Thanks

l288

Default settings on Backgrounder and I posted screen shots of my ProSwitcher HD settings earlier in this thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.