Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zinthar

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
"That larger display may also arrive at much higher pixel count which would necessitate a larger battery to support it."

Here's where it goes to hell though. The reason MacBook Air has significantly better battery life than retina Macbook Pro. The processing power to drive a higher resolution display.

The rMBP also uses a higher TDP Haswell processor than the one in the MBA, which contributes to the difference.

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
Dude. Relaaaaax. I know that some phones can, for one reason or another, have battery issues. But having to charge it MULTIPLE times a day isn't just from using it a lot. I can understand charging it once more if you're a really heavy user, but multiple times sounds like he's doing something wrong. (Assuming the battery isn't faulty, and that's not too terribly much to assume considering he's on a tech forum and probably would've thought of that.)

Relaaaaax....

What a very expected reply. You can act all accusatory and post content meant to do nothing but defend the godcompany Apple, accuse people of wrongdoing on their part, and ignite inflammatory discussion but then when you're called out on your skewed attitude and approach toward people, then the person calling you out is the one who needs to "Relaaaaaaxxxx"

I would guess that you either don't get along with the general public very well on a regular basis, or you don't act the same way in public that you do on a public forum (where you get to be anonymous behind a screen).

I'm super relaxed by the way. I have a very comfortable chair and I wear cutoff t-shirts and gym shorts to work every day :p

Zinthar

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
Right. the note 3 has 3200mAH, thinner than any competiting phone, has larger and higher resolution display (S-AMOLED), and is REMOVABLE.

What excuse do you have for apple's inferior design?

The Note 3 arguably has the worst design and build quality among high-end smartphones, with only the Galaxy S5 competing on that front.

Also, an iPhone that's within 10% of the battery capacity of the Note 3 at the same size will almost certainly easily outlast the Note 3 considering how power-efficient A7 is and the fact that A8 is moving to the 20nm process node.

Also, the rumored 5.5" iPhone has a higher resolution than the Note 3. I'll admit that the new iPhones probably won't have REMOVABLE displays. And I hate to be the one to break this to you, but: the display on your Note 3 shouldn't be removed (although I'm sure that with Samsung's build quality, any significant drop is likely to have that result).

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
Relaaaaax....

What a very expected reply. You can act all accusatory and post content meant to do nothing but defend the godcompany Apple, accuse people of wrongdoing on their part, and ignite inflammatory discussion but then when you're called out on your skewed attitude and approach toward people, then the person calling you out is the one who needs to "Relaaaaaaxxxx"

I would guess that you either don't get along with the general public very well on a regular basis, or you don't act the same way in public that you do on a public forum (where you get to be anonymous behind a screen).

I'm super relaxed by the way. I have a very comfortable chair and I wear cutoff t-shirts and gym shorts to work every day :p

Okay, that was a bit odd... Number 1: It was a bit of a joke and not meant to really sound accusatory, but I'll give you that one because we're on the internet and obviously things won't come across perfectly every time. 2: I, for one, do not think of Apple as the only good in tech and all other is evil. I only think that there has been some exxageration on how terrible battery life really is. (<--opinion) 3: My social life is doing just fine, no need to worry about me, but thanks for the consideration. 5: I'm glad you're relaxed. It's a nice way to live. :)

Zinthar

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
You are delusional. Ive seen several galaxy s4's lasting 48+h with wi fi and 3G always on, never seen an iPhone do that.

The iPhone 5 easily outlasts the Galaxy S4 in reality, if not in the mind of a delusional Samsung fanboy.

54313.png

54312.png

nigerson

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2014
2,915 is small? It's not far off from the Note 3's 3,200 mah battery, which is also a larger phone.

But from my understanding the current note 4 and iphone 6 5.5 leaks make the note 4 smaller(in terms of width/lenth, not thinness).

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
The iPhone 5 easily outlasts the Galaxy S4 in reality, if not in the mind of a delusional Samsung fanboy.

I'm pretty sure I couldn't browse the internet on my iPhone 5 for 10 hours! It drops about 1% every couple of minutes I'm online!

nigerson

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2014
The Note 3 arguably has the worst design and build quality among high-end smartphones, with only the Galaxy S5 competing on that front.

Also, an iPhone that's within 10% of the battery capacity of the Note 3 at the same size will almost certainly easily outlast the Note 3 considering how power-efficient A7 is and the fact that A8 is moving to the 20nm process node.

Also, the rumored 5.5" iPhone has a higher resolution than the Note 3. I'll admit that the new iPhones probably won't have REMOVABLE displays. And I hate to be the one to break this to you, but: the display on your Note 3 shouldn't be removed (although I'm sure that with Samsung's build quality, any significant drop is likely to have that result).

You really can't compare a note 3 when the note 4 is being announced tomorrow. And is confirmed to have a 2560x1440 display(515ppi), snapdragon805(more efficient and powerful than the 800), and 4gb of ram. I also don't see how having a phone that is easy to self-fix a problem? And the note 4 is going to have a metal(borders/housing)/plastic design(back cover)

fallenjt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2013
4.7" and 5.5"

This's off topic a bit. It seems that many android phones lately tried to release 4.6"-4.8" version after went big 5"-5.5": Galaxy Alpha 4.7", Xperia Z3 4.6"...It's funny that Apple up size the screen while others down size it.

nigerson

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2014
1. The iPhone 5s is thinner than the Note 3

2. There's been rumors that the 5.5 inch model will have 461 ppi, which is higher than the Note 3 or GS5

3. I never realized superior design consisted of cheap plastic

Anyway, usually when you increase the size of a device the battery increases. Look at the iPad for example.
The note 4 being released 2moro has 515ppi with a 2560x1440 display. The note 4 will be thinner, than note 3. The note 4 is now a metal/plastic design.

Jaq515

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2014

i have had every single iPhone the day of launch. I got an s4 for a work phone so as iOS was becoming stale i used it for as my main phone for maybe 2 months.
One of the first things i did was buy a second battery as i could swap it out so no worries about charging through the day.
I honestly never ever needed that battery. Every single iPhone has needed to be charged thoughout the day, to but the s4 did last me the day with exactly the same useage.

like i say i went back to using my iPhone but the s4 really has much much better battery life

Crossmax

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
That's just great! So either you get the enormous iPhone which will last throughout the day, or you get the reasonably sized iPhone with the tiny tiny battery.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
You are delusional. Ive seen several galaxy s4's lasting 48+h with wi fi and 3G always on, never seen an iPhone do that.

I'm in the US, so Galaxies are hard to come by. I know two people with them. After owning their phones for a few months, they were getting about five to six hours of solid use out of them between charges. My friend would have to charge his phone fully before going out to dinner for it to make it until midnight. If he left work at 6 with a fully charged phone he had to carry a charger to make it through dinner and hanging out. The phone wouldn't make it for the rest of the night with a full charge. The other guy would basically be able to work on his phone (email and phone calls) through the morning and then would have to recharge it at lunch and then again before dinner (though he didn't use the phone much at night, so it was fine then).

Anyway, the basic point is that there is no reason to compare the size of the battery against each other when the hardware and software is completely different. The dual core iPhone CPUs are probably more efficient than the quad core's used by the GS4 (or is it an Octo core?). If your argument is that Apple's iPhone can't get by with a smaller battery than you are wrong. There hasn't been a top of the line Android made with a small battery in years. And if they made one the battery life would be pathetic.

Jaq515

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2014
I'm in the US, so Galaxies are hard to come by. I know two people with them. After owning their phones for a few months, they were getting about five to six hours of solid use out of them between charges. My friend would have to charge his phone fully before going out to dinner for it to make it until midnight. If he left work at 6 with a fully charged phone he had to carry a charger to make it through dinner and hanging out. The phone wouldn't make it for the rest of the night with a full charge. The other guy would basically be able to work on his phone (email and phone calls) through the morning and then would have to recharge it at lunch and then again before dinner (though he didn't use the phone much at night, so it was fine then).

Anyway, the basic point is that there is no reason to compare the size of the battery against each other when the hardware and software is completely different. The dual core iPhone CPUs are probably more efficient than the quad core's used by the GS4 (or is it an Octo core?). If your argument is that Apple's iPhone can't get by with a smaller battery than you are wrong. There hasn't been a top of the line Android made with a small battery in years. And if they made one the battery life would be pathetic.

The bigger point to that is the iPhone doesn't perform any better. It might be more efficient but with smaller battery they end result is poor battery life.
Why can't they just put a larger capacity battery like android handset makers do.
it would probably cost them few £ more but the end result to the user would be massive upgrade.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
The bigger point to that is the iPhone doesn't perform any better. It might be more efficient but with smaller battery they end result is poor battery life.
Why can't they just put a larger capacity battery like android handset makers do.
it would probably cost them few £ more but the end result to the user would be massive upgrade.

But you can't just sit here and say 2,000 will be too small because the GS5 octo core has 2,200. That is the part that doesn't make any sense.

Apple has, until this point, chosen to make smaller phones (smaller in screen size and also very skinny). Android has made bigger phones because it needed the larger form factor to place the larger battery. Then when they added LTE and the phones became more useful, they had to make even bigger phones for room for bigger battery. This doesn't have much to do with cost. And it was not driven by demand for larger screens. It was demand for battery life (because earlier Android was terrible at power control) that lead to larger screens.

If Apple really does make a phone with nearly 3,000 battery, that phone will last a very long time and always solidly through a day of heavy use. It will be closer to an iPad than to the current iPhone. It doesn't matter if some other phone using completely different hardware and software uses a larger battery.

I don't know how well the 4.7 will run. That might still be a phone that will run out of juice for the heavy users. But again it isn't a cost issue. It is Apple wanting a really thin phone and then being left with less space to put a battery in.

----------

i have had every single iPhone the day of launch. I got an s4 for a work phone so as iOS was becoming stale i used it for as my main phone for maybe 2 months.
One of the first things i did was buy a second battery as i could swap it out so no worries about charging through the day.
I honestly never ever needed that battery. Every single iPhone has needed to be charged thoughout the day, to but the s4 did last me the day with exactly the same useage.

like i say i went back to using my iPhone but the s4 really has much much better battery life

Two months is not much time to put a hurt on the battery. If you kept using it for another six months, you would have noticed some serious degradation. The good thing about swappable batteries is that you can correct that really easily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.