Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhil

macrumors 68040
Maybe they owns and iPhone 5 needing a battery replacement?

The Battery Replacement program for iPhone 5 is selective units in certain serial # range for a defective battery..

Apple has determined that a very small percentage of iPhone 5 devices may suddenly experience shorter battery life or need to be charged more frequently. The affected iPhone 5 devices were sold between September 2012 and January 2013 and fall within a limited serial number range.

More Battery replacement info from Apple on iPhone 5 Battery

How I know this I got an email from apple on the iPhone 5 Battery Program since I have a iPhone 5.. - I get the emails on the iPhone 5 Replacement programs - Battery / power switch etc ....

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Oh great, so Apple's 5.5" device is now on part with the battery size in competing 5.0" devices? How does the battery size compare with the Note? That would be a better apples to apples comparison.

Comparing cross platform hardware specs between these competing platforms have never been Apples to Apples comparisons. I would rather just wait until we see the device and get some benchmarks, or at the very least real world opinions.

One reason why this battery might last longer on an iPhone than a competing 5.5" phone is screen reolution (Android phones seem to be worried about pushing more pixels every release). IMO we have long reached a bottleneck for what is practical with PPI, but that doesn't seem to matter to some manufacturers.

I am not saying this phone will be better or worse than anything else out there. But a MaH rating on a battery isn't going to tell us nearly what we need to know to even begin to make the "which is better" argument.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
I hate the quote system on here it doesn't work right and you end up quoting on the wrong quote.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
You really can't compare a note 3 when the note 4 is being announced tomorrow. And is confirmed to have a 2560x1440 display(515ppi), snapdragon805(more efficient and powerful than the 800), and 4gb of ram. I also don't see how having a phone that is easy to self-fix a problem? And the note 4 is going to have a metal(borders/housing)/plastic design(back cover)

But those specs make no sense in a phone, what part of the iPhone is worse because if those specs?

Screen, iPhone screen is the right resolution and fit for the size, spec hunting is pointless at these ppi you can't see anything.

System on a chip, last time I looked my phone wasn't in need of more power, android needs more because of poor skinning and code additions, ios doesn't suffer and runs like butter.

Ram, ok yep more ram would be nice but it's not a spec many can quantify, it's not quantitative especially in ios it's hard to see the need for more ram, maybe faster ram but not much more.

Last time I looked iPhone was pretty easy to repair and used minimal glue. Samsung and many others are making even changing the screen a make or break task.

Materials matter to me, plastic should be no where near a phone, the flimsy faux leather backs the dimpled plastic etc just make me vomit in my mouth. HTC and even Chinese brands are making phones with better materials now. The open back plastic badness is the past get with the future.

ed1990

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2014
The Note 3 arguably has the worst design and build quality among high-end smartphones, with only the Galaxy S5 competing on that front.

Also, an iPhone that's within 10% of the battery capacity of the Note 3 at the same size will almost certainly easily outlast the Note 3 considering how power-efficient A7 is and the fact that A8 is moving to the 20nm process node.

Also, the rumored 5.5" iPhone has a higher resolution than the Note 3. I'll admit that the new iPhones probably won't have REMOVABLE displays. And I hate to be the one to break this to you, but: the display on your Note 3 shouldn't be removed (although I'm sure that with Samsung's build quality, any significant drop is likely to have that result).
This post speaks fanboy. LOL.

MyDataMyProbs

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2014
.... they want a dinner phone.

I want a dinner phone too. I can already order food on my phone. RUMOR is now it can actually cook it too?!
:cool:

but really, this huge battery made me from really wanting the 5.5 to now under no circumstances am I not spending a lot of money on the big day. with or without contract price.

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
I'm happy with any bump in battery, especially in the 4.7" since that is what I will be getting. I personally don't have any issues with my 5S, but I know others want a bigger battery, and who wouldn't?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I guess its already standard with Mac's, but will see see the same with iPhone's ?

small board, but every time a larger battery ? At least, most of the iPhone is all battery ?

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
I think we will know if there's a big market for phablets only after Apple releases the 5.5" model, there are lots of iPhone users that want a bigger phone but are not willing to switch to android, maybe it's just me, but I see the bigger model coming out soon.

You don't think it will cut majorily (it's a word I'm sure), into iPad/iPad mini sales?

A part of me wonders if the 5.5 will actually run iPad iOS8. That would be interesting.. it running iPhone and iPad apps.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Ram, ok yep more ram would be nice but it's not a spec many can quantify, it's not quantitative especially in ios it's hard to see the need for more ram, maybe faster ram but not much more.

How is it you're able to "quantify" the need for faster ram and not more ram?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.