Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goobot

macrumors 604
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Jesus fanboys are annoying - a bigger battery, all other things being equal will last longer. It's very simple science.

It's only people who sit on sites like this all day and wear Apple logo pyjamas who excuse everything Apple do as being better. If Samsung designed the proposed iPhone 6 they would be mocked for the thick bands and protruding camera, small battery, low RAM etc etc.

Everyone I know with a mobile phone would like better battery life, no-one I know has said they want a thinner phone. It doesn't matter what optimisation the A8 chip has - when you sit staring at the screen the battery will be eaten, the 5.5 will no doubt be fine but the small battery in the 4.7 will be struggling.

Wouldn't a bigger screen and higher res and more powerful processor to power than high res drain more battery.

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
As much as I would personally rather have better battery life, I'm a little suspicious of these actual results, because it's a survey which you have to volunteer to take. That removes the random aspect of it, which is crucial for a survey with accurate representation. It might be that people who want better battery life feel more strongly about their position than people who want a thinner device, so the battery life people will be more likely to seek out and answer the survey. Then the survey would say more about which group feels stronger about their belief than it does about which group is actually bigger.
Although, I personally believe the battery group is indeed bigger.

Agree but even if it is unscientific, looks like close to 40% wouldn't mind if the phone is thinner if at least matches the previous generation battery life.

I am hoping we are coming to end with thinness but another poster just mentioned that Apple could still go thinner by adding more cameras to compensate.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Jesus fanboys are annoying - a bigger battery, all other things being equal will last longer. It's very simple science.

It's only people who sit on sites like this all day and wear Apple logo pyjamas who excuse everything Apple do as being better. If Samsung designed the proposed iPhone 6 they would be mocked for the thick bands and protruding camera, small battery, low RAM etc etc.

Everyone I know with a mobile phone would like better battery life, no-one I know has said they want a thinner phone. It doesn't matter what optimisation the A8 chip has - when you sit staring at the screen the battery will be eaten, the 5.5 will no doubt be fine but the small battery in the 4.7 will be struggling.

You are intitled to your opinion, but do you really think that that designers and engineers at Apple, Samsung, Nokia...etc aren't thinking about battery life?

Most users of iPhone 5s/5 have been fine with the battery life, and I am not sure how you are completely convinced that 4.7 will be stuggling when you haven't seen the specs at all.

I recall hearing the same battery concerns before the launch of iPhone 5/5s which turned out to be false for most users.

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
You are intitled to your opinion, but do you really think that that designers and engineers at Apple, Samsung, Nokia...etc aren't thinking about battery life?

Most users of iPhone 5s/5 have been fine with the battery life, and I am not sure how you are completely convinced that 4.7 will be stuggling when you haven't seen the specs at all.

I recall hearing the same battery concerns before the launch of iPhone 5/5s which turned out to be false for most users.

Is that why they have a battery replacement program for the 5 ?

1member1

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
i will wait for the 5.5 iPhone although i'm returning my 4s in some weeks to the work :< will hold on for better device

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
Agree but even if it is unscientific, looks like close to 40% wouldn't mind if the phone is thinner if at least matches the previous generation battery life.

Only 13% feel that way. The next category, which you are including there, says "Make the iPhone6 roughly as thick as the 5, which should result in slightly (10-20%) more battery life" and gets 32% of replies. "Make the iPhone6 roughly as thick as the 4, if that will give 6 hours (or 50%) additional battery life" gets 54% of replies. I posted this here and on other threads, and on FB. I encourage anyone else to post it on their Facebook wall or anywhere else they think a good cross section of the public frequents, to improve the quality of the respondents.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5L2MR7Q

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
It's unapologetically thin — and short on life.

Erm are you being ironic?

It's a huge mAh for an ios device but that is not how you calculate battery capacity you really need watt hours, and the calculations put it ahead of most others not on par.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
2,915 is small? It's not far off from the Note 3's 3,200 may battery, which is also a larger phone.

Right. the note 3 has 3200mAH, thinner than any competiting phone, has larger and higher resolution display (S-AMOLED), and is REMOVABLE.

What excuse do you have for apple's inferior design?

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
PSA! If Apple claims both the 4.7 and 5.5 inch screen iPhone will have the same battery life, DON'T BELIEVE THEM!

You think Apple's that dumb!!!!??? Why?

https://www.apple.com/macbook-air/
Scroll down to battery

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
So, if true, here's an opportunity to pair a genuinely larger battery with the oft-spun iOS & A8 optimizations to make this thing a leader in battery life. Over the last few months, there's been too much spinning of iOS and A8 optimizations to try to rationalize the use of an under-sized battery in iPhones (no surprise, that's what "we" do). This implies we might get BOTH Apple optimizations AND big battery. And, if so, GREAT!!!

Aye indeed! Just like the iPad's, which have phenomenal battery life

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
Probably uses it.

I don't know. I'm just getting sick of everyone defending the company/product TO THE DEATH.

"What does a guy like you do to your poor..."

How accusing can you actually sound?

God forbid it could actually be THE PHONE (or the apps, or the carrier service/signal, or a plethora of other batter-zapping possibilities) and not the evil, wrongdoing end-user...

I have ZERO problems with my phone battery life but my horrible, no-good, puppy-kicking wife's battery dies much quicker, every day, than mine does.

I always find myself noticing that her battery icon is red, like the devil, so I can only assume it's her, personally, and not the phone, apps, usage, etc.

:rolleyes:

Dude. Relaaaaax. I know that some phones can, for one reason or another, have battery issues. But having to charge it MULTIPLE times a day isn't just from using it a lot. I can understand charging it once more if you're a really heavy user, but multiple times sounds like he's doing something wrong. (Assuming the battery isn't faulty, and that's not too terribly much to assume considering he's on a tech forum and probably would've thought of that.)

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Right. the note 3 has 3200mAH, thinner than any competiting phone, has larger and higher resolution display (S-AMOLED), and is REMOVABLE.

What excuse do you have for apple's inferior design?

1. The iPhone 5s is thinner than the Note 3

2. There's been rumors that the 5.5 inch model will have 461 ppi, which is higher than the Note 3 or GS5

3. I never realized superior design consisted of cheap plastic

Anyway, usually when you increase the size of a device the battery increases. Look at the iPad for example.

tgenius

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
Battery life is a very subjective thing. If you work in Corporate America with Activesync setup for work, I can almost GUARANTEE you don't make it through the day assuming you get alot of emails from work. Some people can last a day, some a few hours. There isn't a "wrong" or "right" to it, its subjective.

That said, I had an iPhone5 and switched to a Note 3 in Feb. I love the screen size but my battery drains pretty quickly (moreso then I remember with my iPhone5) so assuming the 5.5 IS real and IS announced next week, I'm switching back. It doesn't make the Note3 any less viable as an option, but the bickering back and forth is pretty ridiculous for something that is so subjective as battery life correlated to use cases.

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
Doesn't need to be funny. He acted like he knew so much more than everyone else for months and now that leaks are coming out, he has to suck it up and take it. People are going to give him crap for it. Rightfully so. ;)

How is that different than the other half of people here that acted like they knew so much more than him for months? I don't see one difference. There was just a difference in opinions, just because one difference in opinions might now be wrong (heck we still don't know who is "right" or "wrong") that makes it ok to every time a new post about the 5.5" phone is put out we have to personally call him out? I don't know, to me that seems worse than what he was doing and to me sinks you to a lower level.

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
I want a 5.5" iPhone anyway. I know a bigger screen will require more power. Hopefully this bigger battery is more than enough for that. If the 5.5" iPhone has a longer battery life, that would be reason enough for me to buy it.

jeancarlo

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2013
Santiago, Chile.
I just don't see the 5.5 releasing anytime soon. Maybe iPhone 6s, but not right now. Maybe just me. The market isn't that big (not saying there isn't one, it's just not big) for phablets.
I think we will know if there's a big market for phablets only after Apple releases the 5.5" model, there are lots of iPhone users that want a bigger phone but are not willing to switch to android, maybe it's just me, but I see the bigger model coming out soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.