Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LordBeelzebub

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2013
Use them? Mine doesn't last all day either, then again I don't use it as a fashion statement.

People don't buy an iphone to make a fasion statement, they're just so well made and look so good in design with quality materials they do that on their own.

I bought my iphone to have a quality made product with a reliable easy to use OS, if it's giving me a fasion statement also, well that's a bonus!!

Now go play with your plastic Lego block you call a Samsung.

Jesus, here they come. The s5 is more than 5". The G3 is more than 5". The z2 is more than 5". Spot being pedantic...

"But...but... My plastic s5! Oh noes! what will happen when people just buy all iphone models at an insanely pace? Poor me. I thought I was cool because I see the ads and they say the ****** s5 is good :( "

uhhh not being pedantic. I referenced the HTC one which is 5.0" and the S5 which is 5.1". Sounds like you are the one being pedantic (and I'm not sure you grasp the understanding of the word). As a side note, the S5 is actually quite a bit smaller than the (rumored) 5.5" iPhone. It's 15mm shorter and 6mm narrower.... so there's that...

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
Wow... What does a guy like you do to your poor phones that they need to be charged multiple times a day...?

Probably uses it.

I don't know. I'm just getting sick of everyone defending the company/product TO THE DEATH.

"What does a guy like you do to your poor..."

How accusing can you actually sound?

God forbid it could actually be THE PHONE (or the apps, or the carrier service/signal, or a plethora of other batter-zapping possibilities) and not the evil, wrongdoing end-user...

I have ZERO problems with my phone battery life but my horrible, no-good, puppy-kicking wife's battery dies much quicker, every day, than mine does.

I always find myself noticing that her battery icon is red, like the devil, so I can only assume it's her, personally, and not the phone, apps, usage, etc.

:rolleyes:

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
This is going to do HUGE things for battery life.

You're probably thinking "Oh but the additional capacity is going to be wasted on running the bigger display."

Yeah, some of it will. But when the phone is in your pocket on standby and the display is off, the bigger battery will mean a MUCH longer standby time, even if apps that use battery are running in the background. Every minute you're not directly using your phone will use that much smaller a percentage of the battery.

Look how ridiculously long cellular iPads last when on standby. You'll be seeing something like this from the phones soon. :)

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
Any way I can have the option of this larger battery in the 4.7" version? ;)

I suppose I'd just have to get rid of a few features but let's face it 2 day battery life would be the best feature for any new phone...

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
I just don't see the 5.5 releasing anytime soon. Maybe iPhone 6s, but not right now. Maybe just me. The market isn't that big (not saying there isn't one, it's just not big) for phablets.

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
This may be the first iPhone that doesn't need to be charged several times a day. If Samsung can do it with the Note 3, surely Apple can figure it out with their own phablet.

Well that's what happens when you don't use your phone for anything.

Less use == more battery life

Samsung– genius.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Use them? Mine doesn't last all day either, then again I don't use it as a fashion statement.

I have ZERO problems with my phone battery life but my horrible, no-good, puppy-kicking wife's battery dies much quicker, every day, than mine does.
It depends not only on how you use the phone, and what settings you have chosen, but on individual battery variations.

On average, my iPhone 5 battery needs a charge every 2 to 3 days, while my wife's identical phone, with almost the same types and amount of usage, lasts less than 24 hours.

We took them to an Apple Store and had them tested. We learned that some batteries don't work as well as others and that my wife's iPhone battery needed to be replaced. In any case you shouldn't blame the victim.

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
Any way I can have the option of this larger battery in the 4.7" version? ;)

I suppose I'd just have to get rid of a few features but let's face it 2 day battery life would be the best feature for any new phone...

AMEN!

It sounds like Apple may be fixin to screw people like me who want MORE FEATURES in a smaller (than rumored) package. That's hard to pull off. It's much easier to increase real estate under a larger screen and offer better (read: bigger) capacities.

I'd like the 4.7" with 128GB storage, bump in REAL WORLD battery performance (not just specs that in actuality are the same as the 5 or 5s), and as good of a camera as they can fit in there (don't care if it sticks out of the back).

I have a feeling I'll be in a position this time around where I'm having to make trade-offs when choosing which model to get. I don't like walking away from a purchase feeling like I've made a lot of compromises/sacrifices.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
Isn't it time we had a few more iPhone 6 stories? The forum is a wasteland...

lol welcome to the week before... I'm trying to stay away from the ip6 threads, but every so often I inadvertently open one and then curse for reading it....

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
It depends not only on how you use the phone, and what settings you have chosen, but on individual battery variations.

On average, my iPhone 5 battery needs a charge every 2 to 3 days, while my wife's identical phone, with almost the same types and amount of usage, lasts less than 24 hours.

We took them to an Apple Store and had them tested. We learned that some batteries don't work as well as others and that my wife's iPhone battery needed to be replaced. In any case you shouldn't blame the victim.

You are correct. Every component of every iPhone is DIFFERENT. I've had 3 iPhone 5 models -- each has been different in some way. The first one had THE BEST screen I've seen on an iPhone. The 2nd one was yellow-ish at the top part (I had it for a year or so like that) and now the 3rd one I got (replacement for a different reason) has a good screen, but it does not seem to get as bright as the old ones.

Same with the battery. They've all been acceptable by me, but they've varied a bit -- the most recent being one of the better ones that I've seen.

Same with the Bluetooth chip in them... Some of them seem to go a few feet further for BT reception.

The above are why every manufacturer creates tolerances that their various components and products must fit within. The iPhone is no exception.

But yes, my point is -- don't blame the end user without knowing EXACTLY how they are using their phone. In my wife's case, I reviewed her settings and asked her a lot of questions about her usage. Turns out, she just uses the damn thing a lot. A LOT. AND she has a ton of notifications turned on -- Facebook seeming to be the most battery-zapping of them all. I still think that her battery is on the low end of the tolerance spectrum but I can't really prove it.

mayhemburzum

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2014
But keep in mind that Apple and iOS is much more battery efficient. The 1,500 size iPhone 5 could easily outlast the Galaxy S4. A larger battery like this (which I don't entirely believe will be that big) will easily make it through even the longest day of heavy use. At that point it doesn't really add much to go bigger. You won't ever get the battery big enough to be sure you can make it through the weekend without your charger. And if you have to take a charger with you then there isn't much added value to more battery life.

You are delusional. Ive seen several galaxy s4's lasting 48+h with wi fi and 3G always on, never seen an iPhone do that.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
That would be great, but I'll believe it when I see it. I otherwise would have no interest in the larger model, but this would make it very tempting, if it does in fact have a longer battery life as a result.

Voice your opinion on thinness vs battery life here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5L2MR7Q

So far 99% of respondents want the phone to have battery life at least as good as the current model, and over 85% want MORE battery life in the next model. The next time someone tells you you are in the minority for not being pleased as punch with the iPhone battery life, you will know the truth.

As much as I would personally rather have better battery life, I'm a little suspicious of these actual results, because it's a survey which you have to volunteer to take. That removes the random aspect of it, which is crucial for a survey with accurate representation. It might be that people who want better battery life feel more strongly about their position than people who want a thinner device, so the battery life people will be more likely to seek out and answer the survey. Then the survey would say more about which group feels stronger about their belief than it does about which group is actually bigger.
Although, I personally believe the battery group is indeed bigger.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
I use mine very often throughout the day and not "as a fashion statement" and it lasts me well into the evening.

Do you only use it as a phone? I could see that lasting, but using it completely as it is designed (small computer/phone) the battery time is not good.

----------

People don't buy an iphone to make a fasion statement, they're just so well made and look so good in design with quality materials they do that on their own.

I bought my iphone to have a quality made product with a reliable easy to use OS, if it's giving me a fasion statement also, well that's a bonus!!

Now go play with your plastic Lego block you call a Samsung.

You are not sane are you? I have an iphone. That was the point, I actually use mine and it does not last all day. Now go back to preschool and learn your abc's.

----------

So, you're saying you have a terrible sense of taste and that you have a pathological addiction to your smart phone?
Your crystal ball is failing miss cleo. I'm saying I use mine a lot, not just for making calls, and it does not last all day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.