Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015
Interest is irrelevant pay in full each month if you find yourself paying interest switch to cash/debit and pay it off ASAP you will not come out ahead with 1-2% rewards like most people seem to think.

Also, retailers mark up their prices to pay the credit card fees. So, when you make a purchase at the retail price paying in cash you are still paying the merchant’s credit card fees. Sometimes, when you make a purchase at a mom and pop retailer you can get a cash discount.

Reactions: compwiz1202

TheDailyApple

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2019
This won’t bother me as I always pay off my credit cards before they’re due. I only use credit cards for fraud protection. (There’s not as much that can be done if your debit number is leaked.)

IMO, anyone who even considers using a credit card for financing when not 100% unavoidable should cut up their credit cards ASAP.

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
Credit cards are unsecured loans. If you want to pay a lower interest rate get a loan where you have to put forth collateral.
So are the "loans" the Fed hands out to its member banks via the FF window. We witnessed how true this was during the 2008 financial crises.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
You may want to check on that. I use whatever card gives the best rewards - Eg Apple Card for its 3% where available. Other cards like 2.62% minimum. But pay it off every month and my score is 839-850 depending on where I look.

I expect that just charging and paying it off in full will help your score.
Yup. Same here. I pay off all cards monthly, some twice per month, and my scores are great. Something else is holding them back.

Reactions: orbital~debris

fontman

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
Costa mesa

As is common with most credit cards, the Apple Card's interest rate on overdue balances is steadily rising as the Federal Reserve continues to raise its benchmark overnight interest rate in an attempt to slow inflation in the United States.

apple-card-1-iPhone-13.jpg

As of July 1, the Apple Card's variable APRs now range from 12.49% to 23.49% based on creditworthiness, compared to 11.74% to 22.74% previously. This is in line with the Fed's 0.75 percentage point increase to its overnight rate in June.

Apple Card interest rates were as low as 10.99% to 21.99% for much of 2020 and 2021 as the Fed lowered rates in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

According to The Wall Street Journal, the Fed is expected to announce another 0.75 percentage point increase to its overnight rate later today, which means the Apple Card's APR range will likely see another increase to 13.24% to 24.24% based on creditworthiness. This would be the Apple Card's highest interest rate range since 2019.

All in all, if you are carrying an overdue balance on your Apple Card, be aware that interest charges have been increasing and will cost you extra.

Apple Card remains limited to the United States.

Article Link: PSA: Apple Card's Interest Rate is Rising as Fed Battles Inflation
One more reason why credit cards or convenience only and always to pay them off completely every month otherwise he shouldn't have one.

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
I use Apple Pay with my Apple Card everywhere it’s accepted. For places that don’t accept Apple Pay I use an alternative credit card. Never use a debit card. If a thief gets your information that money is gone and it can take weeks to get it back. Instead always use a credit card, check the balance(s) on a daily and pay it off as you use it. If you notice fraudulent charges you’re not in the hook to pay the money. Instead you can dispute the charge(s), the card issuer will put a hold on the funds while they investigate and you aren’t on the hook for a penny.

If you must use a debit card don’t have more than you need in the account and do business with an institution that will not let an overdraft go through so if a thief does get your info they can’t charge more than you have in the account and still have things go through because it transfers over from your savings account, etc. If you use one or more credit cards wisely then you’ll get all the rewards, the interest rate won’t matter and you’ll never be on the hook for fraudulent charges.

Macative

Suspended
Mar 7, 2022
As is common with most credit cards, the Apple Card's interest rate on overdue balances is steadily rising as the Federal Reserve continues to raise its benchmark overnight interest rate in an attempt to slow inflation in the United States. As of July 1, the Apple Card's variable APRs now range from 12.49% to 23.49% based on creditworthiness, compared to 11.74% to 22.74% previously. This is in line with the Fed's 0.75 percentage point increase to its overnight rate in June.

Just for reference, the current Federal Reserve Fed Funds rate is 1.58%, which includes all the recent interest rate increases. Yet credit card rates are 12% to 23%. This isn't unique to Apple's card but demonstrates how twisted and corrupt the financial industry is in our country. Cheap money is handed out but only to banks and they in turn lend that out at 20%. Must be nice to be one of the chosen financial businesses who are virtually guaranteed by the Fed to make a profit.
Notice how no matter what is going on in the country, the banks margins won't change.

• Sad

BrownyQ

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2021
USA
I use Apple Pay with my Apple Card everywhere it’s accepted. For places that don’t accept Apple Pay I use an alternative credit card. Never use a debit card. If a thief gets your information that money is gone and it can take weeks to get it back. Instead always use a credit card, check the balance(s) on a daily and pay it off as you use it. If you notice fraudulent charges you’re not in the hook to pay the money. Instead you can dispute the charge(s), the card issuer will put a hold on the funds while they investigate and you aren’t on the hook for a penny.

If you must use a debit card don’t have more than you need in the account and do business with an institution that will not let an overdraft go through so if a thief does get your info they can’t charge more than you have in the account and still have things go through because it transfers over from your savings account, etc. If you use one or more credit cards wisely then you’ll get all the rewards, the interest rate won’t matter and you’ll never be on the hook for fraudulent charges.
This has been my philosophy with credit since the beginning. The only addition I have to it is to always maintain a bank balance equal to a month's expenditures, or if your bank offers it, prevent overdraft by pulling from a tied savings account.

Don't overspend just to have shiny toys or indulge yourself if it puts you in a financially bad position, people.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
The first job I had after graduating from college was as a student intern. There weren’t many jobs in my engineering field at the time (late 1980s). I was sleeping on the floor of a friend’s place but needed to be closer to my job so I borrowed money for a security deposit from my parents and rented an apartment. I had one credit card at the time. At the beginning of the next month I had money for food or rent but not both. We were only paid once a month and the check came from the other side of the country and since it was an out of state check the bank held the funds for two weeks. So for the first two weeks of the first month I ate pancakes for breakfast and dinner. No lunch. Nothing to wash down the pancakes or to top them. Just plain pancakes. It is self limiting because you can only eat a few pancakes with no toppings before they are so disgusting you can’t eat any more. The next month the food drought was a bit shorter and even shorter the month after that. After a few months I had enough money for food every day. I don’t think in the 1980s grocery stores accepted
Credit cards and restaurants were too expensive. It was hell going through that experience but it gave me an appreciation of what poverty is like.

segfaultdotorg

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2007
I think the use of the term "overdue" in the story is misleading, it sounds like the interest rate increases will apply to all unpaid balances that aren't subject to some sort of promotional financing. An "overdue" amount would mean that you had a minimum payment of $X last month and failed to make the payment.

Reactions: Stiksi

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I think the use of the term "overdue" in the story is misleading, it sounds like the interest rate increases will apply to all unpaid balances that aren't subject to some sort of promotional financing. An "overdue" amount would mean that you had a minimum payment of $X last month and failed to make the payment.
Same here. It isn’t overdue, they’re carrying a balance.

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
But pay it off every month and my score is 839-850 depending on where I look.
850 is the highest possible, right? Impressive!

832 here. Never had a late payment, don't have too many inquiries. I guess it maybe is just a lack of a longer history (20 years) holding me back from a perfect score.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I owe a little bit and pay the interest on it in order to increase my credit score. Whenever I pay in full, Apple and Credit Institutions think of me as a dead beat and it hurts my score. After I pay off what I owe though I’m just going to switch to my debit card for August.

That's not how you should do it. Typically credit card balances are reported the same time each month for that specific card. Simply letting a statement cut and paying in full will satisfy the requirement to show usage. Don't carry a balance and pay interest when you do not have to.

Scoob Redux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2020
I owe a little bit and pay the interest on it in order to increase my credit score. Whenever I pay in full, Apple and Credit Institutions think of me as a dead beat and it hurts my score. After I pay off what I owe though I’m just going to switch to my debit card for August.
Paying interest does absolutely nothing for your credit score. I have never paid a cent in interest (other than mortgage) and maintain a FICO above 800. Just run up balances and pay the new balance in full every month. You'll never pay interest and you'll always show a "balance" on credit reporting. The payment of interest is not in the equation.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
To fight the inflation, Apple could just increase the Apple Cash rewards incentives. :rolleyes:
Premium cards like this sock it to merchants in the form of payment processing fees. All that goes back into price hikes, especially for small businesses.

On the other hand, more and more small places, restaurants etc are just offering a discount of ~5% for paying in cash. Beats the hell out of that Apple Cash 2%. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.