Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I thought that once the card was established the APR was fixed. But now I look in the wallet app and see that the APR has indeed gone up. That's pretty shady.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
Which is so dumb. Pay off everything on time? Let's knock down that credit score. it should be the opposite, but credit scores are another scam of financial institutions.
Except that person has no idea what they are talking about, it doesn’t work like that at all. That person is screwing themselves and wasting money.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
This is one of those credit cards that has a high rate compared to most other cards I have but I like the instant rewards it gives and the 0% interest on Apple Products. So I pay it off every month. Probably doesn't help my credit rating... lol.

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
Let's fight inflation by imposing more financial hardship on people. Great idea.

I get what people say, "don't spend money you don't have, yada yada". Life isn't that simple.
All debts are paid. Period.
Unfortunately our overlords don't truly care about inflation because it allows them to monetize the debt they created.

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
Yup. Trump's covid stimulus and insistence on keeping rates low all those years have really messed us up, but people still support him.
Yes, spending money we (you and I and 'we the people') don't have causes a lot of problems. If they didn't, interest rates would be faaaar less of an issue. Is this a principled stance, or another chance to bring up your favorite punching bag?

Reactions: Premium1

ThatGuyInLa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2012
SC
I use my Apple Card as a debit card. Pay off completely each month. I like how it makes it easy to see what and where I’m spending. And of course easy fraud detection and resolution. The cash back ain’t much but it’s something. Amazon card is the best though. I get a nice pile of cash from them for use at Amazon. A lot really.

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
I guess in an "ends justifies the means" kinda way, it sorta does. But lots of working class people pay the price in the process.
So let's get rid of the ends justify the means thinking. I say we start by stopping the out of control spending because the ends of promised utopia don't justify the means of spending our children's, grandchildren's and great grandchildren's money.

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
This credit score concept is really strange to me. Here in Belgium, they will look at your income to see if you can get a credit opening, or loan or whatever. and credit card interests are capped at around 11.5%.

having to pay > 20% is plain criminal

Reactions: Premium1

macdisciple

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2016
USA
Just for reference, the current Federal Reserve Fed Funds rate is 1.58%, which includes all the recent interest rate increases. Yet credit card rates are 12% to 23%. This isn't unique to Apple's card but demonstrates how twisted and corrupt the financial industry is in our country.
Responsible people pay 0% and use token cash rewards to pay a bit toward cost or other bills. Use CC as cash or comply with interest free monthly payments for up to a year. That’s a sweet deal for me.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I owe a little bit and pay the interest on it in order to increase my credit score. Whenever I pay in full, Apple and Credit Institutions think of me as a dead beat and it hurts my score. After I pay off what I owe though I’m just going to switch to my debit card for August.
Yep exactly. I used to not own a credit card and my score was HORRIBLE! I got my first credit card at 30 years old. Ever since then my credit score skyrocketed.

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
I feel that way with any cards that make a big deal about 3% cash back like it's some sort of huge savings. You hand me a dollar bill and I had you three pennies. Do you feel happy? Dummies...
Think about what you just said.

If I pay a dollar with cash, what do I get back? Nothing.
If I pay a dollar with my debit card, what do I get back? Nothing.
If I pay a dollar with a rewards credit card, what do I get back? 2-3% sometimes higher when you're using transfer partners. Oh I also get fraud protection on the purchase.

I've literally booked business class tickets around the world with my rewards credit cards, maintain a 775+ credit score, and don't pay more than it would have cost me with cash.

The point isn't to buy things to get cash back, the point is you're going to buy things regardless whether it be gas, food, dining out, etc, it's what you use to purchase that thing.

This is assuming you're paying your rewards credit card off each month of course.

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
My savings account rate is so awesome now! Oops, the decimal was two places off. Need to call the bank.🤣
Amazing how fast rates rise for businesses and how slow to nonexistent rates rise for us. One might think the system is not on a level playing field.🤔

smaffei

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
I thought that once the card was established the APR was fixed. But now I look in the wallet app and see that the APR has indeed gone up. That's pretty shady.
Um, that's how credit cards have always worked. It's in the card agreement you chose not to read. Nothing shady about it.

Reactions: szw-mapple fan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.