Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

switz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
East edge of Phoenix urban sprawl
Actually the financial institutions do privately consider folks that pay off their balances in full every month dead beats.

Why?

Simple.

We are getting "free" use of the bank's money for perhaps 45 days depending on the billing cycle and when the charge was made to the credit card. Some affinity cards have annual fees that more than off set interest charges. A late payment still gets the clock running. It is really easy to get behind the power curve for repayments at 35% interest.

If one carries a balance, the interest on that purchase made two minutes ago is earning interest for the bank as soon as the transaction hits their system. A delay of only a few seconds before the 20 to 35% actual interest starts accruing .

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Yes, those 'rewards' are crazy. Spend $100 and get 2% back? Hey, and you pay 100% of that cost first. What a con job...

I wouldn't consider it a con. If you pay your balance off every month (don't also pay interest), the cash back is 100% yours assuming the credit card doesn't have an annual fee. Yes, you have to buy something first but that is how discounts, coupons, rebates, cash back offers, etc. work. What is the "con job" here?

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
I owe a little bit and pay the interest on it in order to increase my credit score. Whenever I pay in full, Apple and Credit Institutions think of me as a dead beat and it hurts my score. After I pay off what I owe though I’m just going to switch to my debit card for August.

Actually, carrying a balance (not paying in full each month) can negatively impact your credit score. At least if it's a large balance. I am not aware of any advantage from a credit score standpoint to carrying a balance.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
I owe a little bit and pay the interest on it in order to increase my credit score. Whenever I pay in full, Apple and Credit Institutions think of me as a dead beat and it hurts my score. After I pay off what I owe though I’m just going to switch to my debit card for August.

Must be something else going on with your activity if you see lower scores. I never pay any interest and maintain a 810+ score.

Reactions: BornAgainMac

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Corporate propaganda. The Fed's "battle" with inflation has nothing to do with corporate interest rate gouging. There is no excuse for 23.49% interest rates.

The card companies take on the risk of not getting paid back. No one forces people to overspend on their card and not pay back when the bill is due. If you want a lower interest loan, then get a loan from a bank; do not charge it to a credit card.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
As is common with most credit cards, the Apple Card's interest rate on overdue balances is steadily rising as the Federal Reserve continues to raise its benchmark overnight interest rate in an attempt to slow inflation in the United States. As of July 1, the Apple Card's variable APRs now range from 12.49% to 23.49% based on creditworthiness, compared to 11.74% to 22.74% previously. This is in line with the Fed's 0.75 percentage point increase to its overnight rate in June.

Just for reference, the current Federal Reserve Fed Funds rate is 1.58%, which includes all the recent interest rate increases. Yet credit card rates are 12% to 23%. This isn't unique to Apple's card but demonstrates how twisted and corrupt the financial industry is in our country. Cheap money is handed out but only to banks and they in turn lend that out at 20%. Must be nice to be one of the chosen financial businesses who are virtually guaranteed by the Fed to make a profit.
I don’t think you understand the banking system at all. There are reasons the rates differ. Good reasons. My brother does micro finance trying to build economies in under developed nations as a non profit. They have very high interest rates because if the default rate is high so they need to have bigger wins on the few who repay or else they run out of money and can no longer help people. Interest rates are a measure of future risk they are not arbitrary or a sign of corruption.

Now if you want to talk about politicians and bank bail outs and corruptions between DC and Financial institutions I am right there with you but you chose in of the worst examples.

Reactions: mk313 and siddavis

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
And they built all those transaction fees into the markup in the first place its such a racket and the consumer doesn't ultimately benefit.
I get a huge benefit using credit cards. If you don’t go back to cash. I think the cards are amazing. If they started charging me fees I would probably pay them…which some premium cards do despite “no benefit”.

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
I don’t think you understand the banking system at all. There are reasons the rates differ. Good reasons. My brother does micro finance trying to build economies in under developed nations as a non profit. They have very high interest rates because if the default rate is high so they need to have bigger wins on the few who repay or else they run out of money and can no longer help people. Interest rates are a measure of future risk they are not arbitrary or a sign of corruption.

Now if you want to talk about politicians and bank bail outs and corruptions between DC and Financial institutions I am right there with you but you chose in of the worst examples.
It's not a worst-case example. It happened just 14 years ago and it's not the first time. The entire financial system became insolvent and required trillions of reserves from the Fed to function. That is a massive default. It has happened before and it will happen again.

MrMojo1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
New England
"Does paying interest on credit card affect credit score?
In fact, it is not true. The interest rate you pay on your credit card is not reported to the credit reporting agencies (Equifax, Experian and TransUnion) by the credit card issuer."

www.credit.com/blog/credit-qa-does-interest-rate-affect-your-credit-score

MacStreamer

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2020
This is the only site where members are flawless when it comes to credit cards. Every time a thread is posted about Apple Card the credit lecturers come flying in.

Reactions: iMerik

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Paying interest doesn't increase your credit score, paying your bills on time every month does.
I don’t think it works like that. My credit score is fine and I pay off in full every month. Save yourself the money.
Correct. The majority of people using credit cards have no understanding of them.
I got dinged by credit karma and the credit reporting institutions for paying my card balances before a statement was generated. My score dropped from 832 to 830.
That's not why you got dinged. I always pay my balances before statements generate and my credit score is always the same.
I wouldn't consider it a con. If you pay your balance off every month (don't also pay interest), the cash back is 100% yours assuming the credit card doesn't have an annual fee. Yes, you have to buy something first but that is how discounts, coupons, rebates, cash back offers, etc. work. What is the "con job" here?
It's not a con, they just have zero understanding of credit card rewards.
Yes, those 'rewards' are crazy. Spend $100 and get 2% back? Hey, and you pay 100% of that cost first. What a con job...
It's not a con. Pay your bills on time and whatever rewards you get, are yours to keep. If you keep a balance, you've already negated the rewards because of the high interest rate you're paying. It's an extremely simple concept and not complex at all to understand.

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
Oh well, this makes sense, just this morning Apple increased my credit limit by +$1700. I doubt I will use it, I pride myself in being in control of my finances, so this is hardly an incentive for me to use credit. I only have the card because: 1) 3 % discount, 2) the titanium one looks really nice.

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
I think this is a widely held myth. I don't know where it came from but I would recommend always paying in full.
It came from credit card companies. Much the same as cigarette companies claiming they have no harmful effects or oil companies claiming they care about the environment or politicians claiming they’ll follow through on their campaign promises or…

no_idea

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2018
That makes no sense. Credit worthiness is based on a lot of factors, none which include if you pay interest. They look of you pay on time, net assets, base salary, job stability

Reactions: cateye

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
This is the only site where members are flawless when it comes to credit cards. Every time a thread is posted about Apple Card the credit lecturers come flying in.

Ask yourself if it's lecturing or if it's a reasonable reaction in the face of obsessive over-spending and debt. Carrying a balance on a credit card is equivalent to setting money on fire for no gain. Reacting to people being intelligent about debt as some kind of message board etiquette character flaw is an insane reversal of reality. If someone posted here that they went to the Apple Store, bought a MacBook Pro, then went out into the street and threw an extra 20% in the gutter and walked away, I'd call out that behavior too, as should everyone. Don't normalize unsustainable consumer culture.

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
No other country is as obsessed with credit cards as USA. Most people in continental Europe don't even own credit cards
Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 12.51.39 PM.png

"Most people in continental Europe don't even own credit cards"

Did they cut them up since 2017 over there or something?

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
No other country is as obsessed with credit cards as USA. Most people in continental Europe don't even own credit cards
You might want to recheck your facts. There are several countries where credit cards are more popular than in the U.S.

Reactions: ProfessionalFan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.