Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Beautiful ^ thank you sir! should be buying this later tonight :)

Woohoo !

I've found out what I've done wrong: while on the 706 rMini I could bring up the dock with a four-finger swipe up, the same didn't work on the 7.1b3 iPad3. This is why I thoought it isn't working at all - after all, I couldn't start anything.

I've forgotten to press the Home button to get back to the usual launcher. If you keep this in mind, you'll be able to access the dock and all the app icons on SpringBoard.

BTW, app window resizing (by tapping the upper right corner of the app and, then, mooving your finger outside the window) and portrait-landscape swapping (long tapping the upper right corner) does work.

BTW2, it indeed seems to download some kind of a license. At first, upon my second insttllation of the app, it didn't succeed. Then, after a respring & a new install attempt in Cydia, it downloaded the license just fine. After that, the tweak worked just fine.

All in all,

- it does work on 7.1b3 - just use Home single presses instead of 4-finger-swiping-up's to access the dock (and the ful Springboard launcher)

- you once pay and are allowed to install it on at least two iPads. (Dunno if there's a maximal number of installs. Also I don't know whether the licenses can be backed up to avoid problems caused by non-working license servers, as has also been encountered by me once, as has been explained above.)

I've entered this on my iPad3 runninng the tweak BTW.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
bbtw, here's what I got when the installer didn't manage to download the license from the license server:

and these are the results of a successful license download:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 132

caribsa

macrumors regular
May 11, 2013
I'm about to ask for a refund. It does not work for me at all. All I get is freeze. I sent the Dev an e-mail with a screenshot of the apps I have installed, his advice was to uninstall Springtomize 3 and Activator but uninstalling them don't seem to help. :confused: I have it disabled now in order to use my iPad again after countless reboot to unfreeze it.

Attachments

• IMG_0489.PNG
    IMG_0489.PNG
    286.8 KB · Views: 133

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I'm about to ask for a refund. It does not work for me at all. All I get is freeze. I sent the Dev an e-mail with a screenshot of the apps I have installed, his advice was to uninstall Springtomize 3 and Activator but uninstalling them don't seem to help. :confused: I have it disabled now in order to use my iPad again after countless reboot to unfreeze it.

You don't have iCleaner?

That could help you find the culprit. Haven't had any issues with OSE thus far. But if I reboot my iPad... I'll get a crash, but when I restart the springboard it works.

I have a iPad Air.

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
I've found out what I've done wrong: while on the 706 rMini I could bring up the dock with a four-finger swipe up, the same didn't work on the 7.1b3 iPad3. This is why I thoought it isn't working at all - after all, I couldn't start anything.

I've forgotten to press the Home button to get back to the usual launcher. If you keep this in mind, you'll be able to access the dock and all the app icons on SpringBoard.

BTW, app window resizing (by tapping the upper right corner of the app and, then, mooving your finger outside the window) and portrait-landscape swapping (long tapping the upper right corner) does work.

BTW2, it indeed seems to download some kind of a license. At first, upon my second insttllation of the app, it didn't succeed. Then, after a respring & a new install attempt in Cydia, it downloaded the license just fine. After that, the tweak worked just fine.

All in all,

- it does work on 7.1b3 - just use Home single presses instead of 4-finger-swiping-up's to access the dock (and the ful Springboard launcher)

- you once pay and are allowed to install it on at least two iPads. (Dunno if there's a maximal number of installs. Also I don't know whether the licenses can be backed up to avoid problems caused by non-working license servers, as has also been encountered by me once, as has been explained above.)

I find it odd the dock swipe up doesn't work, but the swipe down for 'window menu' in full screen would?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
After having heavily used the tweak on both my 706 rMini and 71b3 iPad3, what I wish for is a "simple mode": just something like how Quasar works. No separate desktops, just everything starts windowed on the scame desktop and, when needed, via a tap, can be made fullscreen, from where a Home press makes it windowed again.

Currently, I find OSE very convoluted to use, at least for me who has been spoiled by Quasar.

BTW, I'll very soon report back on the offline backup/restoreability of the tool, should the license server encounter problems (just like in the case I've shown above).

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
his advice was to uninstall Springtomize 3 and Activator

On my 706 rMini, I also have Activator. Instead of Springtomize 3, I use Infinidock. I have no problems. If you only use Springtomize to allow for more icons on the dock, you could consider switching to Infinidock - if you've already purchased it, of course.

RDAR

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2012
I personally love it. I think what he was going for was to give you an OS type feel thus the name OS experience. I'm always on my MacBook so the controls are very familiar to me. :)

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
After having heavily used the tweak on both my 706 rMini and 71b3 iPad3, what I wish for is a "simple mode": just something like how Quasar works. No separate desktops, just everything starts windowed on the scame desktop and, when needed, via a tap, can be made fullscreen, from where a Home press makes it windowed again.

Currently, I find OSE very convoluted to use, at least for me who has been spoiled by Quasar.

It does definitely take some getting used to.

And I agree, a simple mode would be great. But I'm not sure if he'd ever do it. From the sounds of it, he set out to bring the 'OS Experience' to the iPad rather than just remaking Quasar.

I'm not really sure when I would use the multiple desktops if I was honest, the iPad does only have a limited amount of apps it can have running at the same time, so I kinda feel like I wouldn't have more than one desktop with windowed apps on them. Most likely I'd just have a desktop and possibly a few full screen apps.

I don't really like the dock toggle either, I mostly just press the home button to go back to the springboard icons - if only to avoid having to re-close the dock again lol.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Off: haven't had the time to check out the license download yet. Just some background story for fellow devs: I've just submitted one of my AppStore apps to iTunes Connect and haven't noticed I signed the distro package with Xcode 4.4. (In addition to armv7, I also compile all my AppStore apps for armv6 so that they run on even iPhone 3G's and iPod touch 2G's; this is why I need Xcode 4.4 for armv6 compilation.) I was greeted by two errors upon uploading. It was only later that I realized I signed and submitted the app from Xcode 4.4. From Xcode 5.1, signing of such a hand-lipo'ed, universal-binary archive was OK.

On: now I have some time to find out where the license is stored to allow for offline setups...

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Very very impressive

I echo the sentiments of others with some issues

But it really performs quite well on iPad air 7.1b3

Hope for further improvements but wow

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    578.5 KB · Views: 147

RDAR

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2012
Just wanted to comment on the battery life. Have had this installed on my iPad since it was released and let me tell you, I don't see any difference in battery life. I thought it would run out faster, but it is just the same as it was before the tweak :)

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
Just wanted to comment on the battery life. Have had this installed on my iPad since it was released and let me tell you, I don't see any difference in battery life. I thought it would run out faster, but it is just the same as it was before the tweak :)

It will obviously depend on what your doing with it. 2 apps side by side and probably won't notice much difference.

I think the biggest difference will probably come from killing and re-opening apps a lot.

Oh and just a tip:
The app(s) will stay running even if you lock the device. Try not to leave anything open (for very long). It will just stay running.

ntegra

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2010
It will obviously depend on what your doing with it. 2 apps side by side and probably won't notice much difference.

I think the biggest difference will probably come from killing and re-opening apps a lot.

Oh and just a tip:
The app(s) will stay running even if you lock the device. Try not to leave anything open (for very long). It will just stay running.

does this mean i can lock my ipad while playing youtube videos and they will still play?

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
does this mean i can lock my ipad while playing youtube videos and they will still play?

Yes just tried it. You won't be able to see them obviously since the screen is off. Not sure about audio - but they do carry on playing.

RDAR

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2012
There's an updte out n I tried it on ipad mini and now it works perfectly on both ipad air n mini :)

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
There's an updte out n I tried it on ipad mini and now it works perfectly on both ipad air n mini :)

Yeah looks like 32 bit had a major bug.

But what's the other part of the update mean? Thumbnail tap?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011

All in all,

Now, the new version works on 32-bit 7.1b3 devices in exactly the same way as on 7.0.x 64-bit ones.

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
Will this work properly with auxo 2 and background manager?

Don't think so no.

It replaces them. Auxo 2 won't work because it replaces the app switcher. Background manager is pointless because no apps will enter the background - ever.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Will this work properly with auxo 2 and background manager?

I've read that it's not compatible with Auxo 2, but I never tested it myself.

And in regards to Background Manager, I'm not sure. But with this tweak it changes how the iPad is traditionally used on iOS.

It's a radical change.

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
Bought and installed. It's pretty neat, though a little clunky to use.

Couple notes:

- iPhone mode doesn't work on my rMini/7.06, anyone else?
- iPhone apps, unfortunately, have a black window around them still (Instagram)
- Sometimes apps open in the wrong orientation. Example, I'll be holding iPad in portrait, app will open full screen in landscape. Requires shrinking app, and re-expanding app to fix.

All in all, other than some smallish bugs, it seems to be working ok. I'll likely keep it disabled most of the time, unless I have a specific need. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.