Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Raspberry Classic Deployment

Got buried on the last post of the last page, hate when that happens. Worth checking out.

That’s pretty cool. I wish they did an Apple deployment clasp. I’m not sure if I’d like wearing it though. I still think the modern buckle is an awesome design idea, but I just never really felt like it fit me right. I’m now so used to magnetic bands and solo loops.

Reactions: athousandbands

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Project more than likely got axed really early on due to the Hermes contract. If my knowledge is correct, the deployment protos actually pre-date Hermes. My guess... Apple was planning to expand into different leather bands, suddenly got the offer to make an Hermes Apple Watch, then finished a contract with them that legally prevented them from competing or making similar bands, which killed the projects internally. We've speculated that the Hermes contract is actually what killed classic buckles, too.

That wouldn’t surprise me at all.

Vangeli

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2021
And it has a Space Black pin! Oh, I wish I had one.

On a side note, has there ever been a deployment band with Space Black hardware, even a prototype?

Reactions: orbital~debris

mikedop

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
On a side note, has there ever been a deployment band with Space Black hardware, even a prototype?
From what I've been told, it does supposedly exist in black, but I've yet to see one. If this band has black stainless steel hardware, though, is undetermined.

Reactions: Vangeli

Vangeli

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2021
I see Carter Lux offered Hermes Noir with Space Black Deployment bands a couple years back (they appear a lot on eBay with custom plated hardware on Hermes bands; not sure if reputable though) but no actual photos of one exist, just their mock-ups, and it’s not available anymore. Bummer.

I feel like that Apple deployment band was the large Watch counterpart to the Modern Buckle for the smaller watches. The more I look at the design of the buckle, the more I love it.

mikedop

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
I see Carter Lux offered Hermes Noir with Space Black Deployment bands a couple years back (they appear a lot on eBay with custom plated hardware on Hermes bands; not sure if reputable though) but no actual photos of one exist, just their mock-ups, and it’s not available anymore. Bummer.

I feel like that Apple deployment band was the large Watch counterpart to the Modern Buckle for the smaller watches. The more I look at the design of the buckle, the more I love it.
I couldn't speak to the Hermes side of things, that's @athousandbands' department. I know that gold was never a thing, though.

Yeah, this band definitely appears to be at least partially inspired by the modern buckle. I think it got axed just because of the Hermes bands. I could take some comparison shots actually, forgot I had a modern buckle.

DStack4282

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2022
Here's some prototype Nike sport band colors that were rejected at The Big Donut ('least napkins are free)

Looks to be Bright Crimson/Team Red as well as the exact reverse, Team Red/Bright Crimson. They just kinda popped up on eBay out of nowhere from a seller who may or may not be in trouble with mr. Cook.

IMG_2266.png

IMG_2271.png

Bonus points for the cool looking protoboxes!
Ugh I would buy both in a second. These look great - wonder why they didn’t get green-lit.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Project more than likely got axed really early on due to the Hermes contract. If my knowledge is correct, the deployment protos actually pre-date Hermes. My guess... Apple was planning to expand into different leather bands, suddenly got the offer to make an Hermes Apple Watch, then finished a contract with them that legally prevented them from competing or making similar bands, which killed the projects internally. We've speculated that the Hermes contract is actually what killed classic buckles, too.
That makes sense, but the original “Classic” band felt rubbery and was thicker than a typical leather band. They were pushing the leather loop and modern buckles a lot.

mikedop

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
That makes sense, but the original “Classic” band felt rubbery and was thicker than a typical leather band. They were pushing the leather loop and modern buckles a lot.
Yeah they jumped ship from the first generation of classic buckles pretty fast didn't they? I think it only took a few months. By Fall 2015 they were already on the second generation, which, in my opinion, were still ugly... but they were an improvement!

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
42mm 18kt Rose Gold Edition White Sport Band - Demo

during the production of the 18kt Edition Apple Watches, Apple produced a small number of 'fake' Edition bands. These bands are visually identical to the real 18kt Gold Sport Bands, with the exception of the authentication stamp to certify it as real gold. These fake gold bands were meant to go on the Edition watches that sit inside the display tables at higher end Apple stores. These watches, just like the bands, were also fake.

View attachment 2015618
View attachment 2015619
View attachment 2015620

Notice the "44mm" and "S/M" printing is also rose gold! This is unique to the demo & 18kt bands.
View attachment 2015617
Nice bought one of those cloths from ChargerStore on eBay. love the blue

Reactions: mikedop

mikedop

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
After adventuring on a whim and a sacrifice tonight, here’s a Pride 2017 Woven Nylon Buckle Band w/ Black (technically Space Gray?) Buckle!

E3FmYgfh.jpg
That looks pretty good. I guess it's one of a kind huh?

Didn't even know you could remove the buckles on these.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.