Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MostlyARMless

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2020
Bristol, UK
Here’s a riot of Technicolor to brighten your day...

I got lucky on a Dark Gray Titanium band which arrived today, here flanked by regular Gray on the left and Grey/Black Ceramic on the right (but obviously, you could tell that already ;)) with a Gen 1 Black at the top to set the mood.

My question for the experts is this - does the band have a Titanium pin in the same way that the Ceramic has a Gray Ceramic pin?
7D10A64B-97E9-43B0-80C8-6F755978E9FC.jpeg

mikedop

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
Here’s a riot of Technicolor to brighten your day...

I got lucky on a Dark Gray Titanium band which arrived today, here flanked by regular Gray on the left and Grey/Black Ceramic on the right (but obviously, you could tell that already ;)) with a Gen 1 Black at the top to set the mood.

My question for the experts is this - does the band have a Titanium pin in the same way that the Ceramic has a Gray Ceramic pin? View attachment 936681
Yep! The pin is titanium.

Swenyly

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2018
Prague
So more about the rare bands, I got few in my collection.
These I consider as rare:

SB:
Spicy Orange
Ultra Violet
Hibiscus
Marine Green
Pacific Green
Lilac
Cornflower
Flash
Pollen

SL:
Flash Light
Marine Green

Woven:
Pride 2018

Nike SB:
Light Violet/White
Celestial Teal/Black
Blue Orbit/Gamma Blue
Violet Dust/Plum Fog

Nike SL:
Hyper Grape

Leather:
Blue Jay Classic Buckle

Hermès:
Single Tour Ambre/Capucine/Rose Azalée
Single Tour Equateur Tatouage
Single Tour Lime
Cuff Fauve Barenia

Last edited:

Pitch

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2011
I couldn't tell the difference between my gray and the band that came with the titanium SB watch pin wise.
Yeah same here. I never saw anything that said titanium pin either.
image.jpg
This is the standard gray versus the light gray edition. At least here the difference between the stainless and titanium pins is clear. I noticed Apple also doesn’t call out the pin as titanium for the light gray, even though it is.

Nimbus134

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2020
View attachment 938360 This is the standard gray versus the light gray edition. At least here the difference between the stainless and titanium pins is clear. I noticed Apple also doesn’t call out the pin as titanium for the light gray, even though it is.

I must not be seeing it? Is it the shine? The color? I have gray and the edition gray and can’t tell any difference in person.
[automerge]1595985495[/automerge]

Attachments

• 364B885B-BE6B-49EC-9243-9CFEDF49EE74.jpeg
    364B885B-BE6B-49EC-9243-9CFEDF49EE74.jpeg
    346.8 KB · Views: 156
  • 003CC8CD-EC75-448F-A4D3-4A9258DC00CD.jpeg
    003CC8CD-EC75-448F-A4D3-4A9258DC00CD.jpeg
    590.1 KB · Views: 151
  • 78A7BFD7-01C7-439D-AE5E-670E2FF2671C.jpeg
    78A7BFD7-01C7-439D-AE5E-670E2FF2671C.jpeg
    349.2 KB · Views: 154
  • D4CCDDF7-D761-48DF-ABEF-D5F08C254FC9.jpeg
    D4CCDDF7-D761-48DF-ABEF-D5F08C254FC9.jpeg
    576 KB · Views: 162
  • 2D93C59C-19C6-4788-B710-221508DAA021.jpeg
    2D93C59C-19C6-4788-B710-221508DAA021.jpeg
    881.8 KB · Views: 176

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Just curious - what makes a band "rare"? I see several people have mentioned the celestial teal nike band, which I have. It's a great band! But I don't see what's rare about it. It was one of the standard commercially available bands during one seasonal cycle. Sure, it's discontinued now, but so are most of the bands. To me, "rare" means a band that was produced for a specific purpose or limited audience, like the Olympic bands or Apple employee bands. Or maybe a band that was only available commercially at the very beginning (when Apple Watch wasn't very prevalent, so not many were sold) or a band that only came with a high-end model, like with the original gold watches.

Reactions: Kram Sacul

mikedop

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
Just curious - what makes a band "rare"? I see several people have mentioned the celestial teal nike band, which I have. It's a great band! But I don't see what's rare about it. It was one of the standard commercially available bands during one seasonal cycle. Sure, it's discontinued now, but so are most of the bands. To me, "rare" means a band that was produced for a specific purpose or limited audience, like the Olympic bands or Apple employee bands. Or maybe a band that was only available commercially at the very beginning (when Apple Watch wasn't very prevalent, so not many were sold) or a band that only came with a high-end model, like with the original gold watches.
Celestial Teal is rare because it was discontinued after being sold for only a few months. There’s also believed to be very few left in circulation, and with being a really great color, it fetches high resell prices when/if you manage to find one. Someone else posted on the big thread on how one just sold for $250 USD in USED condition. I define rare as “A band which fetches $60+ in resell auctions or is otherwise hard to find”

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Celestial Teal is rare because it was discontinued after being sold for only a few months. There’s also believed to be very few left in circulation, and with being a really great color, it fetches high resell prices when/if you manage to find one. Someone else posted on the big thread on how one just sold for $250 USD in USED condition. I define rare as “A band which fetches $60+ in resell auctions or is otherwise hard to find”
Whoa, it's a great color for sure, but I'd sure as hell part with mine for $250!

Regarding you definition: fair enough. Just curious.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I think ‘rare’ bands are really bands that are high demand, low supply. The demand is also probably influenced by how many substitutes there are - for example, Pink/Clementine/Apricot are similar enough that no single band commands a massive fee, unlike Ultra Violet where the is no real alternative.

You might be able to split watch band buyers into three camps: price-conscious, quality-conscious and collector. The former group probably won’t buy any OEM bands, or only ones at discounted prices. The middle group will buy OEM but not care too much about the exact shade - they will set out to buy a ‘dark blue’ band, not a Midnight Blue, Blue Horizon, Dark Teal, etc. The latter group are completionists, and will want to buy the exact shade.

I expect the middle group actually drive the second hand market. Bands which are ‘rare’ are ones without many substitutes and only produced for a short amount of time. (I feel like I could write an economics thesis on this :p)

Will be interesting to see what happens to second hand UV prices if Apple ever do release a band that is marginally similar.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
You might be able to split watch band buyers into three camps: price-conscious, quality-conscious and collector. The former group probably won’t buy any OEM bands, or only ones at discounted prices. The middle group will buy OEM but not care too much about the exact shade - they will set out to buy a ‘dark blue’ band, not a Midnight Blue, Blue Horizon, Dark Teal, etc. The latter group are completionists, and will want to buy the exact shade.

Haha! I must be in the middle group. I enjoy this thread and have no problem with people buying however many bands they like, but in looking at some of the pictures that are posted, I can hardly see any difference between some of the shades.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Haha! I must be in the middle group. I enjoy this thread and have no problem with people buying however many bands they like, but in looking at some of the pictures that are posted, I can hardly see any difference between some of the shades.
I think I’m in the same group. I love the comparison photos, but tend to stick to one band per colour! (I make an exception for red, as it’s always been a favourite.)

jwlbel

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
I think ‘rare’ bands are really bands that are high demand, low supply. The demand is also probably influenced by how many substitutes there are - for example, Pink/Clementine/Apricot are similar enough that no single band commands a massive fee, unlike Ultra Violet where the is no real alternative.

I expect the middle group actually drive the second hand market. Bands which are ‘rare’ are ones without many substitutes and only produced for a short amount of time. (I feel like I could write an economics thesis on this :p)

Will be interesting to see what happens to second hand UV prices if Apple ever do release a band that is marginally similar.
I used to be in the one or two bands from each color group. Until I started hanging out around all these enablers :) It is all their fault. Not mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.