Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hudida

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2020
Yes, it works. I'm not sure where this confusion is coming from, I saw those reddit posts too, but didn't bother to check myself. This time I did. From both USB-c ports.

Maybe it is because this signal still goes through Intel GPU (so you have to set refresh rate from Intel gadget, G-sync doesn't work etc, almost all options from Nvidia control panel are gone) - but this is exactly the same situation when running on internal display. You still have switchable graphic, whether on internal or external display.

It is surprisingly quiet and cool, I've run Valley (1598/38.2 fps in extreme HD) and Superposition (5840/44 fps in medium 1080p) and GPU temps stayed below 59C.

Thank you very much for your kind reply. I just made an order based on this comment haha.

Question: in term of power consumption, what is the actually wattage for this model to function properly? This affects my TB hub purchase as most only have PD wattage that matches at most a macbook pro (60W-90W).

More questions (I'm sorry to bother you)

1. Is it ok to keep ur blade plugged in permanently with a lower wattage power source? (i assume at home i'd want the full gaming experience so full load)

2. For on-the-go plugging in, I'll have to buy a portable USBC charger bc the one that came with the laptop is outrageous. If i dont play games, will a 65W charger pass?

3. For on-the-go portable charging, i assume without gaming a 60W charger should be ok?

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
Thank you very much for your kind reply. I just made an order based on this comment haha.

Question: in term of power consumption, what is the actually wattage for this model to function properly? This affects my TB hub purchase as most only have PD wattage that matches at most a macbook pro (60W-90W).

More questions (I'm sorry to bother you)

1. Is it ok to keep ur blade plugged in permanently with a lower wattage power source? (i assume at home i'd want the full gaming experience so full load)

2. For on-the-go plugging in, I'll have to buy a portable USBC charger bc the one that came with the laptop is outrageous. If i dont play games, will a 65W charger pass?

3. For on-the-go portable charging, i assume without gaming a 60W charger should be ok?

Get TB hub that provides full 100W, this will be your main docking station don't skimp on it. You should probably get away with 90W, but I'd rather err on a side of caution. You said you don't want to go eGPU route, but this particular laptop and eGPU is a match made in heaven, I still can't believe how well that works. I have Core X (provides 100W) and just a simple USB hub with ethernet port. I modded the hell out of the eGPU, have water cooled 1080Ti in it and under absolutely full load can't hear a damn thing. Got rid of my desktop.

I use 45W charger on the go, when dGPU is not in use, sufficient for office type work, didn't notice battery discharging, so 60W will be more than enough. I have also a third party 100W charger, much flatter than the one Razer provides and without those thick cables, fits much better in the bag.

Yeah, I have it sometimes plugged in all work day using that 45W charger without problems. I have the max frequency reduced to 34 (1 core) / 29 (all cores) though in Throttlestop.

It does charge with smaller power supply, but slower.

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
My current 'stay at home' set up:

IMG_1371.jpg

IMG_1366.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.