Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Yes, the Note has the best display by the looks of it. Really awesome, actually. And?

While there is no doubt that the iPhone is much better overall and will sell much more, I think I would still prefer the iPhone's screen, despite the note having a better display.

I think that the tech involved and the lamination process that was used really makes a difference.

Wow at your comments, you seem to bash anything android. You just act like you are intelligent with your bashing....your iphone must be a boring device for you to be constantly trying to give the device some strength when it's totally a redesigned 5S....

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
A backup system image would be really nice, hence why the iPhones been able to do it for years. Normally people who downplay this wouldn't downplay this ability on a computer. A windows 7ish feature? Yeah it means it's an older technology that we know most androids still can't do because of all the skins companies put on their android os.

I wouldn't downplay it on a computer because on a PC I have to reinstall all my applications and typically data. However, today with my computer, most all of my data is in a cloud or on seperate storage thus I really just need to create an image of my PC to restore my applications that in turn will connect with said data. There are also far more 'settings' that I have on my PC than on my phone.

On my phone, there too, much of my data that's important to me is in the cloud. Android already has a means to restore all my applications so hence why I somewhat down-play the image creation peice. When I bought my Note 3 I was up and running with a mirror copy of my old phone by the time I left the store. All my apps, photos, music, contact, calender, tasks, etc were there for me on my new device. No real reason to worry about backing up anything as I had no need to restore from an image. The only things I lost were a few data sets from games that my kids play, not me. Perhaps I could have saved that data, but it wasn't important to me.

Those features like u mention that's important to u. I respect that. But the majority of people probably don't customize their phones to that degree. Replacement dialer? thats more important than a full system image?

I won't speak for the majority of people as none of us can do that. Especially since we don't control the fact that they don't know what they don't know; and there a lot of things about Android that people don't know.

In terms of a dialer, yes, that is more important to me than creating a system image. I've already covered why I'm good and don't need a system image to restore from. There's no great loss of anything imoprtant if I drop my phone in a pile of boiling lava today. Dialer wise however, I LOVE having the ability to replace things like that. I the CONSUMER have that OPTION and for me replacing the touch wiz dialer was great. I would love to have Power Amp on an iPhone as it's a far superior sounding system with a lot more functions than the stock Apple media player. That's not an option....yet.

Most people want a phone that is stable, feels good, and is efficient. I used to love messing around with phones, rooting etc different roms. But after a while it's redundant to me. And having a job and family as well as other endeavors I had little motivation to keep spending time trying out the latest build on android.

Please be clear, my "customizing" has ZERO reference to rooting. I don't root. My Note 3 is 100% stable too. Never locks up, freezes or hangs, etc. It's as solid if not better than my iOS Devices in use in my family. I also don't "mess around" with my phone. I update and add apps and widgets and change only what makes my entire experience and day better.

Replacing a dialer, adding a specific widget, customizing my launcher, SMS app, email app, camera app, etc. those are the specifics I'm talking about. Having location services tied in with Lama and Google now is awesome. I can go to work and have my phone recognize where I am changing my screen brightness (dimly lit office), lower my volumes of the ringer, notifications, etc all seperately, changes my bluetooth to on and connects to my office and then automatically forwards my phone to my desk and even launch airdroid so that my texts and data go to my desktop vs my phone. All that without doing anything. That's the power of what I EXPECT a SMART phone to do.

I imagine I'm not the only one cuz again every iPhone outsells the previous one. Every year. It rules the "flagship" smartphone category. Again the 5s was outselling the s5 a month after the s5 came out.

Wonderful, and the Chevy Cruze and Toyota Corolla are great little reliable and solid commuters that outsell themselves and many others too, but I've got zero interest in owning one. The masses love them though and nothing wrong with either.

Again at the end of the day people hate apple cuz they sell the number 1 smartphone. Apple doesn't personally harm anybody.

Here in the US but not world wide they do quite well for themselves. However, no one hates Apple because they are the best in the US. I have no hate for them at all. I just have come to expect more from the products I use. Solid products with a smooth OS and experience is no longer the high expectation. Apple is now beginning to see that and thus why they are opening up and becoming more like the competition. It's the extras that I mentioned that many are now looking for. Big screen iP6+, great....why do I care as a user? Does that 5.5" offer me anything today that really makes a difference to me over a 4.7" device? On a Note 3 vs a S5 it does.

Personally, they have a great product in the iPhone, but it needs to evolve into a platform than a more advanced person would use. After 7 yrs they really still have the same old type of device and now it's bigger. Big deal. The iPhone is still just one product vs a family of products.

Last edited:

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
Wow at your comments, you seem to bash anything android. You just act like you are intelligent with your bashing....your iphone must be a boring device for you to be constantly trying to give the device some strength when it's totally a redesigned 5S....

I use a Galaxy device since June 2013. It was a mid range device that I bought with extreme discount, because of carrier points.

My Xperia literally stopped working, so I needed a phone fast. Here I am, with a international s3 mini with Novathor SoC. Not once was this device updated. Since Novathor isn't made, even stable ROMs do not exist. Do you believe that it doesn't even have an ambient light sensor?

But hey, it had the full TW experience as the S3! At least I paid 100 € without a contract instead of the 270 € retail.

I will never buy another Samsung device, and more than ever I'm aware of their practices. As such, I always say to everybody that I know why they shouldn't buy samsung devices. When they do it, it's because they so on the TV that it has more cores than an iPhone (high end), more cores than a motorola (mid end).

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
OT: this thread must be a irl study case how much people can defend a company even without facts and proofs /OT

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
OT: this thread must be a irl study case how much people can defend a company even without facts and proofs /OT

Yeah it was certainly clear from the beginning that this thread would provide empirical answers to its own question.....of course including equal examples of the inverse.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
I use a Galaxy device since June 2013. It was a mid range device that I bought with extreme discount, because of carrier points.

My Xperia literally stopped working, so I needed a phone fast. Here I am, with a international s3 mini with Novathor SoC. Not once was this device updated. Since Novathor isn't made, even stable ROMs do not exist. Do you believe that it doesn't even have an ambient light sensor?

But hey, it had the full TW experience as the S3! At least I paid 100 € without a contract instead of the 270 € retail.

I will never buy another Samsung device, and more than ever I'm aware of their practices. As such, I always say to everybody that I know why they shouldn't buy samsung devices. When they do it, it's because they so on the TV that it has more cores than an iPhone (high end), more cores than a motorola (mid end).

Flagship high end Samsung devices are updated, common knowledge... :confused:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
So a two and a half year old S3 doesn't get the latest updates for android?! That was my last Android phone and I owned that in mid 2012. I'm surprised it's deemed out of date after a 2 year period especially after Apple get bashed for not giving a 4 year iPhone 4 all the features in updates. At least they are supported for the most part of an update.

I can confirm the screen on the iPhone 6 is not mid range as I am writing on one right now. The pettiness is unbelievable.

rrl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
Like I mentioned in my previous post, it's not Apple people hate, it's iOS. I'm willing to bet most Android users are responding to these post with a Mac. So it's not Apple.

Apple is a GREAT company. I love all my Macs and I use one for work as well. It's iOS and the iPhone that most people dislike. It's a stale device.

^^^
This in a nutshell. I'm guessing iPhablets will have built-in styli before iOS becomes a real os.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

But compare like devices to like devices....the S3 is very old/stale device right now. Its like running IOS 8 on a iPhone 4s. Wonder what that experience is like?

Needs more speed

We want to open this section by saying that iOS 8 on the iPhone 4S is nowhere near as bad as iOS 7 on the iPhone 4. That OS ran so slowly and looked so different on the iPhone 4 than it did on any other device that it was obvious the hardware was struggling to keep up.

The iPhone 4S made the jump to iOS 7 relatively gracefully, though, and it's fine with rendering all of the fancy transparency and translucency effects. We were expecting speed to stay roughly the same in the jump from iOS 7 to iOS 8, more or less as it did when we moved from iOS 5 to iOS 6 on the 3GS. Testing some application launch times under both operating systems reset those expectations.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/09/ios-8-on-the-iphone-4s-performance-isnt-the-only-problem/

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
It's quite simple Apple is the totalitarian government moving you to a new world order (you must conform) while android is the new age belief that sees through the illusion of society and creates individuality.

One of the more interesting quotes I ever read when it comes to the way our society is structured (ie Big Pharma, Politics, etc), and I'm paraphrasing here "if you make people love their servitude, they will never question it" - sounds like Apple to a tee.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
It's quite simple Apple is the totalitarian government moving you to a new world order (you must conform) while android is the new age belief that sees through the illusion of society and creates individuality.

Yea, most of my disdain for apple comes from their totalitarian style of control.

----------

No, my device was only sold in Portugal at the start of 2013, but it has 4.1.2.
The s3, 6 months newer than the 4s, should have run at least kitkat. The 4s ran iOS 7 after all. And now 8.

I really hope you arent extrapolating all of your views on android from using a device on 4.1.2 :rolleyes: And not even a regular S3, but an S3 mini! Everyone knows the mini's are bastard children.

The regular S3 seems to be on Kit Kat.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

One of the more interesting quotes I ever read when it comes to the way our society is structured (ie Big Pharma, Politics, etc), and I'm paraphrasing here "if you make people love their servitude, they will never question it"

That's hilarious, probably true for some Fandroids for sure. It reminds me of seeing someone post on these forums with a sig consisting of a steve jobs picture looking very angelic and the words "Jobs Bless You". I suppose there are crazies on either side.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL

One of the more interesting quotes I ever read when it comes to the way our society is structured (ie Big Pharma, Politics, etc), and I'm paraphrasing here "if you make people love their servitude, they will never question it" - sounds like Apple to a tee.

+1 :cool:

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012

Really? It just might be cuz apple makes good products and provides great overall customer service. Sounds crazy I know.

Again for this thread people hate apple cuz they make the number 1 selling flagship smartphone every year.

rrl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
Again for this thread people hate apple cuz they make the number 1 selling flagship smartphone every year.

Yeah, you understand us so well. It can't have anything to do with their unnecessary walled garden, or plenty of their other arbitrary greedy ********.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
Really? It just might be cuz apple makes good products and provides great overall customer service. Sounds crazy I know.

Well, I was being somewhat facetious in a joking manner, but it does have a ring of truth to it. Then again, both sides that are extremely involved (massively addicticted) are pretty much the same :D

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010

Meh....sure, but I think much of it is because the brand carries a cache that many like. People who were around when it was launched saw a company challenge the market to change and it did and since has grown the product to a cult following brands everyone want to achieve.

You see everyone from thugs in the school yard to soccer moms in SUV's carrying them. Makes people feel like they fit in and are part of the cool club no matter their race or income, etc....Many of the latter care about customer service, but not everyone does.

I personally never called or used Apple's people to help me with anything Apple or iPhone/iPad related. No need as the internet or a friend is a much better source. Product wise, it's solid but today, just about all smartphones function well.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Yeah, you understand us so well. It can't have anything to do with their unnecessary walled garden, or plenty of their other arbitrary greedy ********.

Nobody's forcing u to use apple products. I do understand buying quality products and getting great customer service on top of it. And I've had apple, Microsoft, android products.

----------

Meh....sure, but I think much of it is because the brand carries a cache that many like. People who were around when it was launched saw a company challenge the market to change and it did and since has grown the product to a cult following brands everyone want to achieve.

You see everyone from thugs in the school yard to soccer moms in SUV's carrying them. Makes people feel like they fit in and are part of the cool club no matter their race or income, etc....Many of the latter care about customer service, but not everyone does.

I personally never called or used Apple's people to help me with anything Apple or iPhone/iPad related. No need as the internet or a friend is a much better source. Product wise, it's solid but today, just about all smartphones function well.

I think you're interpreting it as a cool status and fitting in. It's a phone. Nobody's forcing anyone to apple.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Nobody's forcing u to use apple products. I do understand buying quality products and getting great customer service on top of it. And I've had apple, Microsoft, android products.

All this talk of Apple customer service is a bit overdone. How many really need to go to a Genius to figure something out? I mean really, it's a freakin phone. If I did need help with my Note 3, I could go to my local AT&T store and get the help. They helped restore my phone and even installed my tempered glass cover for me. White glove treatment and they didn't flinch.

I mean really, having a "Genius bar" is a great idea from a retail standpoint but if you need help buying an overpriced cable to charge your phone in the car, then you must be dumber than a rock.

----------

I think you're interpreting it as a cool status and fitting in. It's a phone. Nobody's forcing anyone to apple.

It is a "cool factor" in many cases. My 11yr old and his friends all wanted one even before they had any knowlege of what a smart phone did. I gave him my old 4s and he's loving it. To him, he's lucky to have a smart phone let alone an iPhone. Many of his friends have cheaper phones or lower end smart phones. To him, yeah it's a cool thing. He also knows how bad-### a fully capable Note 3 is when configured and used by dad as well. That said he still likes the idea of Apple as much as the new college grad wants a BMW, even if it's a stripped down 32x Series.
nonono.gif

Same with many of the hourly workers at my office who can barely afford an iPhone. TO them, it's cool having the same device as the bosses and others around them. If you really don't think that is part of their success, your head is in the sand. Just look at who are the ones waiting 36hrs in a tent outside a store. :rolleyes:

You're right, no one specifically is forcing anyone to Apple. However, peer and social pressures do just that. Even my wife's best friend just got a new 5s because "my wife and her other friends all have them." She didn't care why or anything about features, it was strictly about fitting in and not being different. LOL.....soccer wife/mom. Funny they all drive big SUV's too yet do nothing but go to Whole Foods and School events in them. Yeah....my wife included.

Last edited:

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
All this talk of Apple customer service is a bit overdone. How many really need to go to a Genius to figure something out? I mean really, it's a freakin phone. If I did need help with my Note 3, I could go to my local AT&T store and get the help. They helped restore my phone and even installed my tempered glass cover for me. White glove treatment and they didn't flinch.

I mean really, having a "Genius bar" is a great idea from a retail standpoint but if you need help buying an overpriced cable to charge your phone in the car, then you must be dumber than a rock.

It's not just for troubleshooting. AppleCare for all apple products are a great asset. iPhones, macs, etc receive great customer service.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
It's not just for troubleshooting. AppleCare for all apple products are a great asset. iPhones, macs, etc receive great customer service.

AppleCare, really? You know when I bought my daughter her iPad Mini Retina, I was offered a no questions asked replacement plan through a third party serivce provider that covers electronics for stores all over the US from Target to Best Buy to HHGregg, etc...for 1/2 the price.

You don't need AppleCare to get great customer service. When my wife dropped her Kindle, the company spent about 5 minutes with her on the phone, sent a replacement overnight, included an Return Lable, etc and all was fine in less than a day.

When I had question on my Samsung BluRay and called them for support, they were perfectly helpful and based in NJ. Even followed up with a discount coupon and survey via email. Again, most all of the larger name brand companies stand behind their products the same as Apple. Let's not make it out to be more than it needs to be. That however is part of that cache I mentioned though. You get to be waited on hand & foot at a retail store by specialists. It's really a good marketing play. Microsoft, Samsung, Best Buy all do it. The store within a store concept isn't new.

Last edited:

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012

----------

It is a "cool factor" in many cases. My 11yr old and his friends all wanted one even before they had any knowlege of what a smart phone did. I gave him my old 4s and he's loving it. To him, he's lucky to have a smart phone let alone an iPhone. Many of his friends have cheaper phones or lower end smart phones. To him, yeah it's a cool thing. He also knows how bad-### a fully capable Note 3 is when configured and used by dad as well. That said he still likes the idea of Apple as much as the new college grad wants a BMW, even if it's a stripped down 32x Series.

Same with many of the hourly workers at my office who can barely afford an iPhone. TO them, it's cool having the same device as the bosses and others around them. If you really don't think that is part of their success, your head is in the sand. Just look at who are the ones waiting 36hrs in a tent outside a store. :rolleyes:

You're right, no one specifically is forcing anyone to Apple. However, peer and social pressures do just that.

So people hate apple cuz they're popular? Seems legit. Like again they sell the number 1 flagship smartphone.

----------

AppleCare, really? You know when I bought my daughter her iPad Mini Retina, I was offered a no questions asked replacement plan through a third party serivce provider that covers electronics for stores all over the US from Target to Best Buy to HHGregg, etc...for 1/2 the price.

You don't need AppleCare to get great customer service. When my wife dropped her Kindle, the company spent about 5 minutes with her on the phone, sent a replacement overnight, included an Return Lable, etc and all was fine in less than a day.

When I had question on my Samsung BluRay and called them for support, they were perfectly helpful and based in NJ. Even followed up with a discount coupon and survey via email. Again, most all of the larger name brand companies stand behind their products the same as Apple. Let's not make it out to be more than it needs to be. That however is part of that cache I mentioned though. You get to be waited on hand & foot at a retail store by specialists. It's really a good marketing play. Microsoft, Samsung, Best Buy all do it. The store within a store concept isn't new.

I didn't say u needed AppleCare for great customer service. But people know it's there for all their apple products consistently. Downplay apple customer care yet others copy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.