Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
It's not just for troubleshooting. AppleCare for all apple products are a great asset. iPhones, macs, etc receive great customer service.

SquareTrade FTW IMO, awesome customer service and never had a hassle with a claim.

The Samsung kiosk near my has always been pretty good with my Samsung products as well.

Apple has always been great as well, no complaints with them except the one time they tried to tell me my iPhone had water damage and wouldn't fix it, actually making me feel like I was wasting their time with my mistake. A talk with the manager and showing her the unactivated water mark changed that up very quick. I know Apple had a lawsuit they lost in relation to that water mark crap, they turned away a ton of innocent customers from what I understand.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
So people hate apple cuz they're popular? Seems legit. Like again they sell the number 1 flagship smartphone.

Where did I say or support that people hate Apple let alone because of popularity? Way to mis-quote or mis-lead.

I didn't say u needed AppleCare for great customer service. But people know it's there for all their apple products consistently. Downplay apple customer care yet others copy.

I never implied or said you said it was needed so stop with the spin.

However, just like the overpriced Apple Care other options are there consistently. No one is downplaying anything, but I'm not going to stand by while hyped up in-store customer support to buy overpriced cables is praised without a reality check or that full priced replacement plans from Apple Direct are put on a pedestal when other just as solid offers for less money stand right there customer service wise too.

Last edited:

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
How so? Did Samsung make up your mind for you? Is it that easy to do that?

----------

Samsung does throw a lot of product out in a hope of one catching fire
But I am not sure about releasing and beta testing products in the wild.
I just got a IP6 on Friday. I now have a Health app that does absolutely nothing because it has bugs in the software.

I think the biggest player in the phablet market is pretty much Samsung, no?

My current phone is an HTC One S, a 4.3" phone, so no Samsung did not make up my mind for me thank you.

My last Samsung was the original Galaxy S, a product where the GPS did not function. After shelling $$ on that untested POS, it will be a long way before I trust Samsung with my money unfortunately.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
Some Android users hate Apple because they think Android is far superior and don't understand why Apple products are so popular. They think Apple users are stupid because they think Apple Pay is cool and Google had the wallet since 2012.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
lets leave the most extreme examples by side, but the reason people care about apple (both positively and negatively) is because its very clear what apple is like and what they stand for. they worked very hard for their brand for many years. you could describe them in a few sentences. and if you like what they stand for, and you like their products, you'll feel a connection. if you dont like what they stand for or their products, you will dislike them. their brand/legal person has a character you can like or dislike. other companies dont. others are generic

some could draw analogies with the connection you feel with a person, you met for the first time, with whom you share same characteristics, ideals etc.

samsung cannot be liked or disliked, they didnt define their character so well, both through products and brand. nor can htc, lg, maybe sony

So you want to class the facts as 'extreme cases' to allow them to be dropped from the argument to suit you?
Apple stands for $$$ plain and simple, it's the clever marketing that blinds it's customers from this, Jobs was a great salesman pulling the wool over peoples eye's, yet it keeps on making $$$, plus having a connection to an electronic gadget makes you a shallow person IMO, you have some sort of connection with an electronic gadget! :eek: Sure Apple's devices are nicely designed and all, but are you saying you love your Apple devices? You Love Apple? You have a sentimental connection to any gadget if it's been bought for you as a present, but you don't have a connection purely because of who made it, that's a rather unstable mindset IMO.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Where did I say or support that people hate Apple let alone because of popularity? Way to mis-quote or mis-lead.

I never implied or said you said it was needed so stop with the spin.

However, just like the overpriced Apple Care other options are there consistently. No one is downplaying anything, but I'm not going to stand by while hyped up in-store customer support to buy overpriced cables is praised without a reality check or that full priced replacement plans from Apple Direct are put on a pedestal when other just as solid offers for less money stand right there customer service wise too.

You said social pressures. So again apple is popular. I said people hate apple cuz they sell the number 1 flagship phone every year, hence their popularity. They make good products and provide great customer service for their whole lineup. I never said u couldn't find it elsewhere but apple makes it easy for most people.

----------

Some Android users hate Apple because they think Android is far superior and don't understand why Apple products are so popular. They think Apple users are stupid because they think Apple Pay is cool and Google had the wallet since 2012.

I'm only speaking for the us but apple having apple pay will help everyone with NFC integrate. I've already got notices from my banks they will support apple pay.

beosound3200

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2010
So you want to class the facts as 'extreme cases' to allow them to be dropped from the argument to suit you?
Apple stands for $$$ plain and simple, it's the clever marketing that blinds it's customers from this, Jobs was a great salesman pulling the wool over peoples eye's, yet it keeps on making $$$, plus having a connection to an electronic gadget makes you a shallow person IMO, you have some sort of connection with an electronic gadget! :eek: Sure Apple's devices are nicely designed and all, but are you saying you love your Apple devices? You Love Apple? You have a sentimental connection to any gadget if it's been bought for you as a present, but you don't have a connection purely because of who made it, that's a rather unstable mindset IMO.

what apple marketing? samsung spends like 5x times more on marketing, so what

how often do you see an apple commercial?

yeah, i have a connection with stuff that suits me, eg. i like my car very much. the person who designed it had the similar priorities like me and that makes a connection for me. the same with apple

the thing is, i dont see what samsungs priorities are, i dont see what they care about so i cant like them or dislike them, they are generic. but their strategy of throwing spagetti on the wall is certainly off-putting. its shows the lack of character, even they dont know what their priorities are and what they like. theres a nice analogy with spineless people hidden right here...

like isnt the same as love, grow up and stop putting words in my mouth.

but too sum it up, in case you cant understand the above, its very simple: apple is special, samsung is not, samsung is generic. thats the reason apple is likeable/dislikeable and samsung is not.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
You said social pressures. So again apple is popular. I said people hate apple cuz they sell the number 1 flagship phone every year, hence their popularity.

That doesn't equal a reason why people who dislike Apple feel the way they do. There are many reasons, but it's not in those stats that it's simply because of popularity.

IMO it's likely because they don't agree with a company with such a narrow focus and restricted OS should be so successful. I can relate to that but also understand that the masses overall don't usually go with the best or most advanced or most customizable. The reason it jumps out so much is because of the high percentage of people across all walks and incomes who have phones and smartphones are relatively easy for many to afford.

The BMW Mini is like an Android vs a VW Golf/GTi being an iPhone. Both are great cars, but there's a reason why the buyers don't often cross shop.

----------

yeah, i have a connection with stuff that suits me, eg. i like my car very much. the person who designed it had the similar priorities like me and that makes a connection for me. the same with apple

Watch the TED Talk: Simon Sinek - Start With Why. You'll appreciate it.

the thing is, i dont see what samsungs priorities are, i dont see what they care about so i cant like them or dislike them, they are generic. but their strategy of throwing spagetti on the wall is certainly off-putting. its shows the lack of character, even they dont know what their priorities are and what they like. theres a nice analogy with spineless people hidden right here. in case you cant understand the above, its very simple: apple is special, samsung is not, samsung is generic. thats the reason apple is likeable/dislikeable and samsung is not.

Then step back and study the Korean culture and business mindset. Then Samsung will begin to make sense.

Apple begins with the customer and experience and works backwards. Samsung leads with technology and connects it to people. The difference is when you start with the people and the experience, more often than not people feel connected and part of the solution. Not all will buy-in but less will hate.

Lead with technology and some will hate, some will fear, some will not feel connected and overall while it may be good, not as many will buy-in. When I say buy in, that doesn't mean they won't purchase/buy, but they won't be die-hard loyalists.

IMO, if Samsung were to make the leap/transition or have started that way, then Apple might have been in trouble. Another challenge in this space however is that the Hardware and OS are typically separated not making a connection of a product to a customer any easier.

Last edited:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

the thing is, i dont see what samsungs priorities are, i dont see what they care about so i cant like them or dislike them, they are generic. but their strategy of throwing spagetti on the wall is certainly off-putting. its shows the lack of character, even they dont know what their priorities are and what they like. theres a nice analogy with spineless people hidden right here...

like isnt the same as love, grow up and stop putting words in my mouth.

but too sum it up, in case you cant understand the above, its very simple: apple is special, samsung is not, samsung is generic. thats the reason apple is likeable/dislikeable and samsung is not.

I actually see an Apple TV advert VERY regularly, if it's not the MacBook Air, it's the iPad Air or now the iPhones, Apple spend a LOT on advertising and marketing.
Also I never said you love your gadgets, I made that comment as you didn't clarify what you meant.

And why do you constantly talk about Samsung? See this is another example of why people hate Apple and it's fans, you only ever talk about Samsung like no other companies exist. If you did start to mention other companies then you would perhaps start to understand Samsung, because every company has it's own language.

Typswif2fingers

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
Dubai, UAE
Hate?!

Well.. I guess when your parents stop paying for you; you finish high school, then the uni, start working, paying taxes, looking for tax free places, seeing how different colour lingerie impacts the complexion of the lady(ies) you happen to know, you start having real-world problems and concerns, you get divorced and taken to cleaners, your teenage daughter gets plugged and bellied etc... you will realise that the word hate is.. a tad too strong, for an IT device...

bkends35

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2013
USA
Because android users make fun of the iPhone for having "2012 specs" then it blows away all the android phones in terms of performance.

Gatecrasher1875

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
Because android users make fun of the iPhone for having "2012 specs" then it blows away all the android phones in terms of performance.

Do they though? I mean really? I don't think theres a lot of difference between the top Android devices and the latest iPhone.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010

Do they though? I mean really? I don't think theres a lot of difference between the top Android devices and the latest iPhone.

Exactly....specs on paper in terms of performance don't mean a whole lot. The same was said about the 5s vs my Note 3 and the Note 3 handles larger spreadsheets and documents way way better in the real world. The camera everyone said was killer, isn't as good, the screen everyone raved about was proven to be less than comparable, etc...the list goes on.

essexman

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
If they stop bashing android during those Apple events. Android users are just fed up by the lies and hate at these Apple events I guess.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
If they stop bashing android during those Apple events. Android users are just fed up by the lies and hate at these Apple events I guess.

They do indeed tend to 'egg on' the irrational folk during press events. But I think that is not necessarily why people dislike Apple, I think folk dislike the 'culture and ignorance' that it often breeds - and we have a number of arrogant, irrational, hating posters here which would make any rational person despair of Apple brand *cough* pedromcm.pm *cough* for example.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
They do indeed tend to 'egg on' the irrational folk during press events. But I think that is not necessarily why people dislike Apple, I think folk dislike the 'culture and ignorance' that it often breeds - and we have a number of arrogant, irrational, hating posters here which would make any rational person despair of Apple brand *cough* pedromcm.pm *cough* for example.

Thanks for the morning *chuckle* though my Mac almost had a coffee bath.

A totally agree. There are a few members here on both sides of this fence that make me generally just avoid a thread if I see they've posted. Somebody here I think used the perfect term, rather than the so cliche 'fanboy', called them Apple evangelists--perfect description, IMO.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

If an iPhone and a top-tier Android smartphone are both having comparable performance despite the iPhone sporting 2-year old specs, something must be very wrong with Android then, don't you think? What, are you saying your phone can't even beat an iPhone with 2-year-old hardware?

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Its a difficult one though because these tech giants are just as bad as each other. I don't believe the hate just stems from Apple events because surely we would see the same level of hate going the other way when Samsung produces another commercial taking the mick out of people queuing for the iPhone? Of course each brand attracts haters and fanboy's but my observations from reading tech stuff online is Apple attract more negativity than any other.

This thread is quite telling and throws up a pattern I have noticed. I keep seeing people saying 'Apple don't innovate any more' and 'they copy the competition' etc etc. What I think annoys people is that Apple are a little behind when it comes to adopting certain features and manage to get a fluid interface working with very little demand on the hardware, hence the 1GB of RAM arguments. It annoys people that despite all this, they produce the single most popular mobile 'phone' on the planet. They don't sell as many devices as all the Android manufacturers, but they are the most desirable, and this gets up peoples noses I think.

Why does it? I really can't get my head around it because if I find a product I like and can afford, I don't generally give a stuff what anybody else likes. :)

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
This thread is quite telling and throws up a pattern I have noticed. I keep seeing people saying 'Apple don't innovate any more' and 'they copy the competition' etc etc. What I think annoys people is that Apple are a little behind when it comes to adopting certain features and manage to get a fluid interface working with very little demand on the hardware, hence the 1GB of RAM arguments.

I don't think people care that Apple is a little behind or optimizes their OS and hardware to perform together. In fact I don't think anyone really cares about those two points as it relates to Apple as a company. It's the users of the devices that annoys uses of other devices. The overall arching theme that comes across is that there's a group of users that feels it's okay for Apple as a company to control and dictate to the market what features are better and should be used vs a a more open source customizable experience. This is America, we fought to be free and the Don't Tread on Me Spirit lives strong.

I really don't care and in some ways respect that Apple can succeed in blending their OS to their hardware and get such a cult following of customers. That's a great thing.

However, having the two separate is a good thing too and in many ways more innovative and spurs more competition and creativity. iOS users are left to rely on Apple for software and hardware whereas Android users can select from hardware from various companies based on what is important to them. OS wise, they can also customize and do more without nearly as many limitations as well.

Of course there are tradeoffs on both sides. iOS users tout stability and clean interfaces. Droid users tout creativity, and better more personalized hardware choices. One example is in the area of photography. Some phones are far better than others in this area. Another area is size. Just look at what the market decided and Apple had to answer to. For several years companies outside Apple have provided users with products that met their needs and Apple did not. Tradeoffs.

It annoys people that despite all this, they produce the single most popular mobile 'phone' on the planet. They don't sell as many devices as all the Android manufacturers, but they are the most desirable, and this gets up peoples noses I think.

Again, I do not for a minute believe it's it's because they sell a lot of phones. No one cares about that. No one hates Chevy or Toyota for being leading sales for cars either. Phones are fairly personal devices and many just don't like being treated as less than important or to be limited in what they can do with such a personal device. They also don't like or understand why people would support companies that do that either. I agree and voted with my wallet. Doesn't mean I won't go back, just means that until Apple stops limiting MY experiences and uses of the device I won't likely come back.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
I think what few people realize when it comes to this whole sub-culture of smart phone e-peen comparisons is that now it all comes down to MARKETING.

At first, Apple introduced something the world had never seen so they ARE the pioneers for smartphones as we use them today, no doubt about that. Other companies who were a bit quicker on the draw realized that they would have to change to meet with this new customer demand. Others like Blackberry never got it until too late.

Now a days, the tech performance is so comparable as to almost be a non-issue.

We are all brain-washed advertising zombies victims, deny it if you will but especially in North America we do almost everything based on ADVERTISING!! Fashion, scent, personal electronics, cars etc etc etc.

All of this device "hatred" or competition is all based on how people see their products, having been already pre-conditioned by subtle brainwashing of advertising.

If you think this is BS just look at an example of Dr. Oz, one show from this guy had almost 300 million purchases of a product he endorsed in one week.

The disadvantage Samsung has in OUR market is that their advertising is more tailored to the Asian market mindset (ok I am speculating a bit here but the devices are wildly popular in Asia). Did you ever watch their keynotes when they TRY to use what they believe will work in advertising? Total FLOP, but over in their country, it works. Advertising is KEY to perception for a lot of people.

I am not saying that people have no mind in what they LIKE in a device, but I think way too many people have been influenced by mob mentality endorsed by advertising to step back and look at things in an unbiased manner because we have been conditioned not to.

If you could strip away all of the advertising, fellow forum enablers, and if the devices were just put on the market with only their specs and performance being advertised I would wager that these kinds of BS forum topics would be less "enthusiastic".

Where would the iPhone be without Steve Jobs? One of the most amazing salespeople I have ever seen (and miss).

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
If an iPhone and a top-tier Android smartphone are both having comparable performance despite the iPhone sporting 2-year old specs, something must be very wrong with Android then, don't you think? What, are you saying your phone can't even beat an iPhone with 2-year-old hardware?

Meh, let's throw true multitasking and multi windows at those 2 year old specs and see what happens.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Apples processor is not 2 years old when it comes to performance. The A series processors have always been top tier performance. Comparing clock speeds and cores between the A series and the Snapdragons is surely akin to apple's and oranges.

Sure you can debate that the other iphone specs are 2 years old, but not the processor (or GPU).

I'm slow to defend apple :p but there is a jailbreak tweak for ipads called OS Experience, that adds both legitimate full multitasking and multiwindow. It runs shockingly well on my ipad Air. The interface is a bit clunky, but the performance is quite good. For example, having email, safari, and a youtube video all on screen at once performs great.

IMO, the only things holding iOS hardware back are the software limitations and the RAM.

I would love an A8 processor in an android device :p

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    617 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

bkends35

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2013
USA

In terms of benchmarks, I believe the iPhone 6 beats out a lot of them but android people think they have to make fun of it because their nexus 4 from 2012 had a dual core cpu, 720p screen, 1gb ram, etc. They think specs on paper determine how fast a device is, which is obviously just a small piece of the story.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Apples processor is not 2 years old when it comes to performance. The A series processors have always been top tier performance. Comparing clock speeds and cores between the A series and the Snapdragons is surely akin to apple's and oranges.

Sure you can debate that the other iphone specs are 2 years old, but not the processor (or GPU).

I'm slow to defend apple :p but there is a jailbreak tweak for ipads called OS Experience, that adds both legitimate full multitasking and multiwindow. It runs shockingly well on my ipad Air. The interface is a bit clunky, but the performance is quite good. For example, having email, safari, and a youtube video all on screen at once performs great.

IMO, the only things holding iOS hardware back are the software limitations and the RAM.

I would love an A8 processor in an android device :p

Watch out for this iPad even in October....I think we'll be seeing some differentiation in software and hardware from the iPhone line.

The 6+ has begun to blur the line and Apple needs to do something to bring the tablet back. It's a market that is in decline and Cook has been coy mentioning there are lots of things they can do with the iPad to bring it back.

I think iOS 8.1 brings split screen multitasking to the iPad along with some other iPad specific features. I also think Apple should do more to encourage developers to take advantage of the larger screen by adding functionality to their apps. There are already many that do, but more could always be done.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Watch out for this iPad even in October....I think we'll be seeing some differentiation in software and hardware from the iPhone line.

The 6+ has begun to blur the line and Apple needs to do something to bring the tablet back. It's a market that is in decline and Cook has been coy mentioning there are lots of things they can do with the iPad to bring it back.

I think iOS 8.1 brings split screen multitasking to the iPad along with some other iPad specific features. I also think Apple should do more to encourage developers to take advantage of the larger screen by adding functionality to their apps. There are already many that do, but more could always be done.

They really need to at least add landscape split screen. Apple's implementation should be better than the jailbreak tweak, looking forward to it. Though I still wont update until 8.1 is jailbroken :p

Just hope that ipad air 2 doesn't have 2gb ram and apple makes the feature choke on gen 1. I'm deathly afraid to update my ipad air, I've never owned an iOS device that couldn't be downgraded. iPhone 4 was the freedom phone :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.