Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SB13PM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2021
So I received two iPhones from Apple as a result of UPS dropping the first one off at the wrong house. Fast forward a day and I had already notified Apple and they sent out a new one, meanwhile a neighbour had gotten in touch with me and give me the original one. Apple stated that if the original package was recovered by chance, I did not need to call them back or make any changes etc. A month later, the replacement iPhone was at my door and I called Apple to explain this. The lady seemed very nonchalant about the situation (and nothing was on my account about this) and I explained my story that I had received two iPhones in error. She told me she would "forward the information on to the returns department" and they would email me a shipping label to send the second phone back.

That was over 2 weeks ago and my Apple account still lists the other iPhone as a "replacement", both phones saying delivered with their respective delivery dates. I did not ever receive a shipping label and nothing has changed on my account.

Now, part of me feels I did my due diligence to try to return this second iPhone, but I am concerned that if I was to try to sell it, that somehow one of the phones may be blacklisted as a result of the second one being activated. I could really use the cash, but I'm also a pretty honest guy and I'd hate for anyone to get screwed out of some cash as a result of this mess-up (and I really don't want to end up with a blacklisted phone either).

Should I really go out of my way to take it to an apple store now? What would you guys do?

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2021
I wouldn't try to sell it (I know you mention needing the cash). What I would do is just keep it. Keep it as a spare. Live your carefree life with your current 13PM knowing full well you have a spare one at home.

I know others will say make the effort to return it but I think you'e done your fair share to do so. It's now on Apple to action it. Keep it just in case they do come knocking for it!

MrKennedy

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
The return label might've been lost in the holiday rush or is delayed along with everything else. I think the right thing to do would be to hang onto it in the event that Apple contacts you about it. They have your payment info on file and might, in theory, charge you for it.

I would not sell it until Apple is explicitly clear (in writing!) that the second phone is yours.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
I like to think my ethics and morals are of high regard, but at the same time, I don't immediately feel sorry for a trillion dollar company. They will miss that phone as much as I will miss a penny. Maybe less. To me, the moral dilemma would more align with selling it or not. As you mention, you would hate to see someone with a blacklisted phone. Also, you would hate to sell your original one and end up with a blacklisted phone. I don't think you need to do anything else with Apple, just as Saladin12 mentioned. I agree with keeping it as a more than solid backup or gifting it to someone. Or, you could even sell to someone you know at a discounted price, while providing full transparency and allow them to accept the risk at a reduced cost.

Monsterbit2021

Suspended
Nov 2, 2021
So I received two iPhones from Apple as a result of UPS dropping the first one off at the wrong house. Fast forward a day and I had already notified Apple and they sent out a new one, meanwhile a neighbour had gotten in touch with me and give me the original one. Apple stated that if the original package was recovered by chance, I did not need to call them back or make any changes etc. A month later, the replacement iPhone was at my door and I called Apple to explain this. The lady seemed very nonchalant about the situation (and nothing was on my account about this) and I explained my story that I had received two iPhones in error. She told me she would "forward the information on to the returns department" and they would email me a shipping label to send the second phone back.

That was over 2 weeks ago and my Apple account still lists the other iPhone as a "replacement", both phones saying delivered with their respective delivery dates. I did not ever receive a shipping label and nothing has changed on my account.

Now, part of me feels I did my due diligence to try to return this second iPhone, but I am concerned that if I was to try to sell it, that somehow one of the phones may be blacklisted as a result of the second one being activated. I could really use the cash, but I'm also a pretty honest guy and I'd hate for anyone to get screwed out of some cash as a result of this mess-up (and I really don't want to end up with a blacklisted phone either).

Should I really go out of my way to take it to an apple store now? What would you guys do?
Well, it is up to you.
But make sure don't sell it.
You can use it, tho

Reactions: SB13PM

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Yeah it seems you got a free phone. But don’t sell. They may come asking for it any day. Save as backup.

Brand new replacement phone in a year! ?

Reactions: DieselFiend1989

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
And receive another one?
Guess UPS insurance is paying, so Apple don’t care?
Even if you could get away with keeping it, it is not the right thing to do. It was never purchased as a separate order. The right thing to do is what the OP is going to do and take it to an Apple Store and let them sort it out.

Amazing that some people think keeping it is the right thing to do. Keeping it is the same thing as stealing. Apple entrusted that the old phone would be returned.

Last edited:

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Why no morals at all? He reached out, tried to contact, it is solving a mistake someone else did. Apple employee incompetence is of no concern of the OP (or UPS mess up for that matter).

It’s a response to the lazy entitlement post I quoted that assumes that just because you tried once and “think” that nothing has happened so far a multiple hundreds of dollar item suddenly changes ownership. Drop it off at a store, issue solved.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
At this point, it’s my guess that nobody at Apple wants to touch it because it’s such a major screwup that nobody wants their name to be associated with it. Everyone involved is trying to dodge a bullet and doesn’t want anything to do with it at their next performance report.
My guess is those involved just hope it flies under the radar and is forgotten.

Reactions: Saladin12

Bob_DM

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2020
Kessel-lo - Belgium
Even if you could get away with keeping it, it is not the right thing to do. It was never purchased as a separate order. The right thing to do is what the OP is going to do and take it to an Apple Store and let them sort it out.

Amazing that some people think keeping it is the right thing to do. Keeping it is the same thing as stealing. Apple entrusted that the old phone would be returned.

I don’t think it’s the right thing to keep it, but for big bussiness I believe it’s an incalculated loss. Not worth the hassle to put it officially back in roulation once it’s classified as a loss.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
It’s a response to the lazy entitlement post I quoted that assumes that just because you tried once and “think” that nothing has happened so far a multiple hundreds of dollar item suddenly changes ownership. Drop it off at a store, issue solved.
If I lose my phone and I get notified by the person who found it, it is my responsibility to make sure I pick it up within a reasonable time frame - I need to be accountable for my mistakes, why would it be different for a big corporation. The finder did his job notifying me, I know he has possession with it. So, in your view, the finder would constantly need to remind me to take ownership of my actions?

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010

Apple hasn't entrusted anything. They are responsible to arrange for the recovery and pickup of the phone.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
If I lose my phone and I get notified by the person who found it, it is my responsibility to make sure I pick it up within a reasonable time frame - I need to be accountable for my mistakes, why would it be different for a big corporation. The finder did his job notifying me, I know he has possession with it. So, in your view, the finder would constantly need to remind me to take ownership of my actions?

Ownership doesn’t change because you don’t get a response in your expected time. It’s reasonable to assume a mistake was made or their return department runs long hours because it’s close to the holiday season during a pandemic. This is not a lost phone of yours it’s a set of goods that has a carrier / shipping issue in a busy season.

Shipping problems aren’t surprising at this time of the year, there are plenty other companies who struggle with the scale of the return or replacement business too. That doesn’t mean I want or should horde items I don’t have a use for or didn’t pay for.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.