Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I don't think it is financially worth the effort for Apple to worry about the return of a replacement phone. Not on the same value level, but last year I received extra items worth around $100 in my shipment from a pet products company and when I called to report this I was told to just keep the items or donate them to a shelter. Apparently the effort and expense of getting the items back and reselling them wasn't worth it to that company. I'm sure Apple would respond to theft but this was a mistake that doesn't affect their bottom line and getting that phone back is clearly low priority. The OP shouldn't have to spend any more time or money to get that phone back to Apple. Keeping it unopened for awhile is certainly the safe thing to do for now however since Apple didn't say just keep it or donate it.

Reactions: Applelover1971

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
Yeah, this sort of happened to me with a pair of sneakers last year (obviously worth much less than an iPhone!). I contacted the company several times to explain what happened – the pair lost in transit eventually showed up, and I decided to keep it (along with the replacement pair); so would they please charge me for both pairs? They just didn’t “get it,” and I eventually accepted that I was ending up with a free pair of shoes… mindful that they still may change me (which I would have welcomed), but they never did. I never would have considered selling them or anything like that.

Reactions: compwiz1202

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
This happened with me and Garmin. I had a warranty claim and they sent me a new watch. Then two weeks later I got another new watch. It took some effort to convince them to get me a label so I could send it back. In my case I think it had to do with tech support maybe not being super fluent in English. I was able to return the second one after some convincing.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
It's not your job to hound a company if they screw up and send you an extra product. Reach out once letting them know the mistake, and if they don't have a resolution for the issue then keep it.
And the last transaction was Apple saying Returns would contact them. So it's Apple's turn

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
This exact scenario happened to me.
Anyone questioning morals here should experience this.
I called apple, multiple times, two of the three said you have to wait the UPS driver may have marked it and will be delivering shortly. I was told to wait at least 48 hours. I’m sorry I just paid you $1400 and I should just wait?

The third apple rep had a different approach once I told them I disputed the charge. Goldman and Sachs didn’t hesitate to take that action and inform apple.

Once I told apple I disputed the charges a new phone delivery was created.
I finally got a hold of a UPS rep. They too took action one a human became involved. They called me every 30 minutes telling me they were looking into it.
3 hours later my ring doorbell went off. A few minutes later I went out to check and it was the phone.
I called apple and told them the phone arrived.
At 6:15pm that evening the ups driver came by and apologized.

4.5 hours of my time was consumed correcting the system.

Next time, I dispute the charges and let the system of these billion dollar companies sort it out.

The driver explained the depot had contacted him and that UPS doesn’t take those matters lightly or course once they know.

It’s my job to pay for the item. It’s apples job to get the product to me. Next time I call apple to tell them the phone was marked delivered and the next call I dispute the charges.
Let apple sort it out. My time and morals are measurable just as much as apple profits

Last edited:

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
The OP has already gone out of his way trying to return it and clearly nobody at Apple cares. Nobody over there wants it returned. NOBODY OVER THERE CARES.
They don’t care. I went through it and one company tells you to wait and the other company makes it next to impossible to get help other than a tracking up date or submit an inquiry requiring information you don’t have.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
So I received two iPhones from Apple as a result of UPS dropping the first one off at the wrong house. Fast forward a day and I had already notified Apple and they sent out a new one, meanwhile a neighbour had gotten in touch with me and give me the original one. Apple stated that if the original package was recovered by chance, I did not need to call them back or make any changes etc. A month later, the replacement iPhone was at my door and I called Apple to explain this. The lady seemed very nonchalant about the situation (and nothing was on my account about this) and I explained my story that I had received two iPhones in error. She told me she would "forward the information on to the returns department" and they would email me a shipping label to send the second phone back.

That was over 2 weeks ago and my Apple account still lists the other iPhone as a "replacement", both phones saying delivered with their respective delivery dates. I did not ever receive a shipping label and nothing has changed on my account.

Now, part of me feels I did my due diligence to try to return this second iPhone, but I am concerned that if I was to try to sell it, that somehow one of the phones may be blacklisted as a result of the second one being activated. I could really use the cash, but I'm also a pretty honest guy and I'd hate for anyone to get screwed out of some cash as a result of this mess-up (and I really don't want to end up with a blacklisted phone either).

Should I really go out of my way to take it to an apple store now? What would you guys do?
Keep it. It’s an extra camera!. I have two 14 pro max iPhones and I use both. Keep it until Apple contacts you about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.