Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Camarillo Brillo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2019
Wow the virtue signaling in this thread. I hope you guys are Apple employees because it just looks pathetic, what it he supposed to do, sit on hold over and over calling them asking them to please take their phone back? Take time off work to hand deliver it to somebody who cares? Or just blindly send it to some Apple address without the proper shipping label? No, he did his part, now he waits for the label. The ball is in apples court.

Don’t sell it, don’t even use it. Put it in a drawer and wait for six months or a year, if Apple hasn’t sent the label or come asking for it, and you absolutely must prove that you’re morally virtuous, then give them one last call and explain what happened, say you got on with life and forgot about it because you never received the label, it’s still in its packaging just waiting for the label, and ask what they want you to do with it. Chances are by that time they will say go ahead, that phone is history. You scored a 2022 Christmas present, no guilt, unless you let the virtue signalers get to you for not putting your life on hold to give the phone back ASAP. Or maybe they still want it back, I don’t know. But I’d be putting in minimal effort at this point. I do think it would be wrong to sell it or give it away right away. You still don’t know if they will come asking for it. I would just leave it in its box untouched for now. You’re just holding on to it until Apple takes it back.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
I didn't. I never said he should go to an Apple Store because I doubt that Apple Store employees are all that competent, I've always said he should just call them. One phone call, escalate to a manager, explain the situation, wait for return label—it's not that hard. I'm just trying to make sure OP doesn't end up getting charged for a phone he didn't order.
Why would you bother escalating or wasting time on their issue? I can’t believe this thread is still a thing

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Why would you bother escalating or wasting time on their issue? I can’t believe this thread is still a thing
I explained why right in the post that you’re quoting as well as elsewhere in this thread.

sonstar

Suspended
Sep 13, 2021
I had the same issue with a Telco here and a iPad, sat on my office desk for 6 months before I could get them to arrange pickup, never showed on my account.
I didn't want to get stuck with a contract with it so kept contacting them, but if it was Apple and you tried and they don't want it, tough titties.

bgdrew

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2011
It's not your job to hound a company if they screw up and send you an extra product. Reach out once letting them know the mistake, and if they don't have a resolution for the issue then keep it.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
It's not your job to hound a company if they screw up and send you an extra product. Reach out once letting them know the mistake, and if they don't have a resolution for the issue then keep it.
But Apple taking longer then expected to sort it out also doesn't mean they (OP) get a free phone. Apple already said they'll send a return label, meaning they expect to get it back.

SB13PM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2021
Wow the virtue signaling in this thread. I hope you guys are Apple employees because it just looks pathetic, what it he supposed to do, sit on hold over and over calling them asking them to please take their phone back? Take time off work to hand deliver it to somebody who cares? Or just blindly send it to some Apple address without the proper shipping label? No, he did his part, now he waits for the label. The ball is in apples court.

Don’t sell it, don’t even use it. Put it in a drawer and wait for six months or a year, if Apple hasn’t sent the label or come asking for it, and you absolutely must prove that you’re morally virtuous, then give them one last call and explain what happened, say you got on with life and forgot about it because you never received the label, it’s still in its packaging just waiting for the label, and ask what they want you to do with it. Chances are by that time they will say go ahead, that phone is history. You scored a 2022 Christmas present, no guilt, unless you let the virtue signalers get to you for not putting your life on hold to give the phone back ASAP. Or maybe they still want it back, I don’t know. But I’d be putting in minimal effort at this point. I do think it would be wrong to sell it or give it away right away. You still don’t know if they will come asking for it. I would just leave it in its box untouched for now. You’re just holding on to it until Apple takes it back.

This is what I am doing. It’s in a drawer now. Not wasting any more time on it…and I won’t sell it (at least not anytime soon)

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
This is what I am doing. It’s in a drawer now. Not wasting any more time on it…and I won’t sell it (at least not anytime soon)
I think he was talking about me and the other people advising you to make another attempt to return it. Keeping it in the drawer is probably for the best for now. Apple knows you have it, I expect they’ll be in touch eventually.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
whenever something like this happens its probably already covered by insurance and this incident has already been documented and filed, it would probably be more of a hassle for apple to unwind the insurance claim than taking back the phone from you.

i had a similar situation with dell many years ago when dell sent me a replacement monitor(bad usb port) but never bother sending me the shipping label for the old one.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
I had a similar situation last year with a £100 Apple Watch band and created a thread too. Granted it’s nowhere near the cost of a 13 pro max.

Basically try and return it and explain to Apple. Give them one opportunity. Failing that it’s yours to sell for profit, or maybe give as an Xmas gift. Apple is a 2 trillion dollar company they won’t care/miss it.

3Rock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2021
Yes, but add to that, get the persons name, date & time that you talk to and then keep the phone in a safe place waiting for any response from Apple. This seems very simple to me.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Virtue signalling is about looking good not doing good. This post wins as the the most cynical. I don't know about you, but advising to make a best effort attempt to return this property is the correct feedback. At some point in time Apple will notice the discrepancy and I would think one wants to get ahead of the curve on that.

Reactions: ericwn

saber32au

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2019
I don't know about you, but advising to make a best effort attempt to return this property is the correct feedback.

The OP has made several attempts to return the phone; it‘s now down to Apple to produce the return label. No need to chastise others for expressing a different opinion which doesn’t align to your own.

Reactions: DieselFiend1989

AJAAY

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
I'll just say this. When the checks and balances inside Apple finally catch up and they coming tapping on your shoulder for the replacement. You'll either need to have that phone ready to send back or $1100-$1600 in your bank account to cover what they will charge you. It's that simple.

Reactions: 3Rock

bgdrew

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2011
But Apple taking longer then expected to sort it out also doesn't mean they (OP) get a free phone. Apple already said they'll send a return label, meaning they expect to get it back.
It's Apple's responsibility to send the return label. It's not the customer's job to audit and supervise that process to make sure it's happening.

The OP has made a goodwill gesture to return the device. Apple's refusal/inability to process that return falls squarely on the company.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
It's Apple's responsibility to send the return label. It's not the customer's job to audit and supervise that process to make sure it's happening.

The OP has made a goodwill gesture to return the device. Apple's refusal/inability to process that return falls squarely on the company.
A follow up call is not auditing and supervising the process, it’s making sure Apple doesn’t charge the OP for a phone he didn’t order.

Goodwill gesture or not, I’d bet money that at some point Apple will ask for the phone back. Apple failing to send a return label one time doesn’t mean the phone is now up for grabs.

Reactions: 3Rock

iphonehype

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2012
I would just email them saying please address the collection within 14 days otherwise the iPhone will be disposed of

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
I don't see anyone else suggesting this, but personally I'd try and single-handedly bring back Bendgate. Get that thing to bend, upload it on Youtube, and then make multiple posts about it on Reddit, MR, 9to5, spamming the Verge's comment section in the meantime. That'll surely get Apple's attention. Also, I'd email timcook@apple salacious photos of me in bed with the free iPhone.

dan98

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2013
If it were a stolen/lost phone from an individual then obviously- do the right thing.
But anyone talking about 'morals' in this case is simply confused.

Apple (or any other similar company) only 'care' about you as far as they can make money out of you. If you believe anything different you live in a fantasy land.

If it were me (and if I understand the details correctly), I'd return the original phone you purchased for a refund and keep/use the 2nd phone. Happy days.

Reactions: Saladin12

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
Make sure you have written or emailed text to show you tried to correct the situation. You are obligated to do what a reasonable person would do to correct the situation. Don’t sell it as this could get ugly and you could be sued just to make an example of you. Expect with Covid and everyone on remote that things are going to take a while. Laws vary around the world but you don’t need anything bad coming from this that can affect travel and such. So just hold on to it and try to rectify the situation.

Ok, here is what happens when the delivery guy delivers the phone under contract to the wrong address and the person signs for it most likely knowing it’s not for him. They simply changed the name and address and then contacted him for billing information! ? Just another customer! ? This actually happened and it was not a no signature delivery, so…

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
And one other thing. Some delivery companies wait 90 days, yes 90 days, before they pay out on an unresolved package. My guess is that sooner or later this will come back to you in the new year. Just hold on to it and don’t mess with it.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
If it were a stolen/lost phone from an individual then obviously- do the right thing.
But anyone talking about 'morals' in this case is simply confused.

Apple (or any other similar company) only 'care' about you as far as they can make money out of you. If you believe anything different you live in a fantasy land.

If it were me (and if I understand the details correctly), I'd return the original phone you purchased for a refund and keep/use the 2nd phone. Happy days.
It may seem as this is about Apple but at this stage it’s the delivery company. When a package is picked up by a courier company they legally take ownership of the package and have a feduciary obligation to take care of the package until it’s released at the other end. At this point it is still a deliver company problem and technically not Apple even though you can contact Apple. The person who gets in trouble would most likely be the delivery person that made the mistake (I didn’t read the whole thread so just generalizing here). So while it may seem safe to scam the system if it’s big pockets Apple, the situation changes when it’s the UPS guy who delivers every day on your street that you probably see regularly. Your inaction may get him in trouble. Then it all comes out and you end up being this “questionable person” on the block who tried to get the UPS guy (all the old ladies chat up the delivery men on the street) in trouble by your inaction - and they will forever look at you like your a pedophile or something. So then, all of a sudden, it’s easier to do the right thing when a name and face get added to the situation. That’s one way to solve your moral dilemma.

Just saying…

Last edited:

Applelover1971

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2023
So I received two iPhones from Apple as a result of UPS dropping the first one off at the wrong house. Fast forward a day and I had already notified Apple and they sent out a new one, meanwhile a neighbour had gotten in touch with me and give me the original one. Apple stated that if the original package was recovered by chance, I did not need to call them back or make any changes etc. A month later, the replacement iPhone was at my door and I called Apple to explain this. The lady seemed very nonchalant about the situation (and nothing was on my account about this) and I explained my story that I had received two iPhones in error. She told me she would "forward the information on to the returns department" and they would email me a shipping label to send the second phone back.

That was over 2 weeks ago and my Apple account still lists the other iPhone as a "replacement", both phones saying delivered with their respective delivery dates. I did not ever receive a shipping label and nothing has changed on my account.

Now, part of me feels I did my due diligence to try to return this second iPhone, but I am concerned that if I was to try to sell it, that somehow one of the phones may be blacklisted as a result of the second one being activated. I could really use the cash, but I'm also a pretty honest guy and I'd hate for anyone to get screwed out of some cash as a result of this mess-up (and I really don't want to end up with a blacklisted phone either).

Should I really go out of my way to take it to an apple store now? What would you guys do?
What happened after 1 year ? same scenario happened to my friend on 12/15/22 . He is still waiting for a shipping label from Apple . They all say to him your past the point of being able to return the item when he calls . He ordered first phone , ups mistakenly marked delivered at another address ,he called Apple , then he got original phone two days later , called apple again to let them know and activate phone , all was well , then 2 months later a replacement just phone showed up left in mailbox no signature required just placed in his mailbox . apple says they can’t generate a return label because it’s past the return window of purchase date , but someone from returns will contact him. It has been 3 weeks now, no contact .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.