Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Just recently received this message from DropBox...

"We’re always looking to improve the Dropbox sharing experience.
As a result, we’ll soon be ending support for the Public folder. Dropbox Basic users will be able to use the Public folder until March 15, 2017. After that date the files in your Public folder will become private, and links to these files will be deactivated. Your files will remain safe in Dropbox"

So they do away with the main reason I use DropBox, easily sharing photos and files using my Public Folder and call it an "Improvement".:rolleyes:

Hack5190

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
(UTC-05:00) Cuba

As a result, we’ll soon be ending support for the Public folder. Dropbox Basic users will be able to use the Public folder until March 15, 2017. After that date the files in your Public folder will become private, and links to these files will be deactivated. Your files will remain safe in Dropbox"

So they do away with the main reason I use DropBox, easily sharing photos and files using my Public Folder and call it an "Improvement".:rolleyes:

Looks like I need to move all the PPC files linked in my posts to a new provider.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011

Looks like I need to move all the PPC files linked in my posts to a new provider.
Guys…

You're missing the next part of the email…

I quote:

If you’d like to keep sharing files in your Public folder, you can create new shared links. Just make sure to send the new URLs to your collaborators.

Emphasis mine.

Dropbox is not cutting this off. They are just making it private like all your other folders are. Just generate and hand out new links.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
And the new created links do not work the same as the original "Copy public Link" did.
The copy public link was perfect for including photos or files in emails and on forums, whereas the create new shared links appear to open up in some clumsy DropBox webpage, nowhere near as simple and smooth an operation.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
And the new created links do not work the same as the original "Copy public Link" did.
The copy public link was perfect for including photos or files in emails and on forums, whereas the create new shared links appear to open up in some clumsy DropBox webpage, nowhere near as simple and smooth an operation.
I get it. I've posted links from my work Mac for non-Public folder areas and seen how the link is different.

Dropbox want's to force everyone to interact with that interface rather than making a direct download. I intend to see if there is a way around it.

flatjuba

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2016
I reinstalled the latest patch from @Czo in my Tiger (10.4.11)...however I got a permission problem with my home folder. Does anyone using Tiger experienced like mine?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I reinstalled the latest patch from @Czo in my Tiger (10.4.11)...however I got a permission problem with my home folder. Does anyone using Tiger experienced like mine?
It was determined a few pages back that Czo's patch only works for Macs running Leopard (hence the title of the thread).

Tiger's APIs are simply too old and Czo doesn't have the time to troubleshoot and maintain more than one OS for his patch.

Salumbre

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2015
Has the fix been updated lately? My PPC Dropbox gave up the ghost about two months ago. I could live without it, I guess, but it's the principle of the thing...:)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Has the fix been updated lately? My PPC Dropbox gave up the ghost about two months ago. I could live without it, I guess, but it's the principle of the thing...:)
????

It's really only updated once someone notices that message about you having 'X' days before it stops working. Haven't seen that message in months and it's currently being used on two of my G5's and my G4 laptop.

Salumbre

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2015
????

It's really only updated once someone notices that message about you having 'X' days before it stops working. Haven't seen that message in months and it's currently being used on two of my G5's and my G4 laptop.

Have you rebooted? I had the message for about a month --so long, in fact, that I ignored it. At my own peril, apparently. Once I rebooted my G5, I got the dreaded frozen notification about updating my Dropbox, and no cigar so far.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Have you rebooted? I had the message for about a month --so long, in fact, that I ignored it. At my own peril, apparently. Once I rebooted my G5, I got the dreaded frozen notification about updating my Dropbox, and no cigar so far.
Within the last two weeks or so, multiple Macs have been rebooted a few times yeah.

Are you positive you have the most current download? What happens if you download it and use it again?

Salumbre

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2015
Within the last two weeks or so, multiple Macs have been rebooted a few times yeah.

Are you positive you have the most current download? What happens if you download it and use it again?

Well, that turned out to be the solution. Downloaded it, replaced the old one, and voila! Just synced 200 files. I was pretty sure I had that fix already, but it did the trick. I'm confused now... :confused:

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Well, that turned out to be the solution. Downloaded it, replaced the old one, and voila! Just synced 200 files. I was pretty sure I had that fix already, but it did the trick. I'm confused now... :confused:
:)

Well…as long as it's working. :D

No worries! :D

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
@Czo.

Looks like it's not working for me again! Can you come to the rescue again?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I might try that again. It's just the message I am getting at the moment.

It was working perfect until earlier today. :D

Salumbre

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2015
My G5's hard drive suddenly gave up the ghost this week. So now, with new HDD in place, Dropbox just welcomed me and is smoothly syncing even as we speak. Czo is the bestest! :apple:

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
My G5's hard drive suddenly gave up the ghost this week. So now, with new HDD in place, Dropbox just welcomed me and is smoothly syncing even as we speak. Czo is the bestest! :apple:
That's awesome!

Don't know if anyone noticed, but if you rollover the Dropbox icon in the menu bar it reports as the latest version. We all know it isn't of course, but it's interesting that IT thinks it is. Because of Czo of course!

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
FYI: I got that message saying my DB is about to be out of date on my PMG5. Is there an update I missed?

Also, I have my QS dropbox linked to a music production account but would like to switch it to the DB I share with my iphone6, PMG5 & 08macbook however I cannot figure out how to log out so I can make the switch. The gear/preference icon is unresponsive as is option click > preferences. Any ideas? :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
FYI: I got that message saying my DB is about to be out of date on my PMG5. Is there an update I missed?

Also, I have my QS dropbox linked to a music production account but would like to switch it to the DB I share with my iphone6, PMG5 & 08macbook however I cannot figure out how to log out so I can make the switch. The gear/preference icon is unresponsive as is option click > preferences. Any ideas? :)
If you have not updated within the last month, then download again. The latest update was only about a month ago and Czo keeps the same link.

Probably why you get nowhere selecting the preferences.

You want to logout then log back in under the credentials you want to use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.