Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Czo

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Debrecen, Hungary
Files has been updated. We are good for the next 2-3 months. Why dropbox upgrading thier app in every 1-2 week when nothing is changed in thier syncing protocol?

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Files has been updated. We are good for the next 2-3 months. Why dropbox upgrading thier app in every 1-2 week when nothing is changed in thier syncing protocol?
No idea, but thank you again Czo!

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
@Czo : thanks again keeping DP alive for such a long time.

Wish I could code ... and contribute to this community with a fork of Cyberduck for PPC, which sports the same option to connect to DP like the latest Cyberduck for intel-macs does.

Salumbre

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2015
Thanks, Czo, one more time. You are our hero. :)

@Czo : thanks again keeping DP alive for such a long time.

Wish I could code ... and contribute to this community with a fork of Cyberduck for PPC, which sports the same option to connect to DP like the latest Cyberduck for intel-macs does.

I have not tried with Cyberduck (in fact, I cannot find my PPC copy, though I have been using it for centuries), but I can tell you for a fact that Fetch -- which I have also been using for millennia, and which recently proved to be more reliable than Cyberduck -- still works on PPC.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Thanks, Czo, one more time. You are our hero. :)

I have not tried with Cyberduck (in fact, I cannot find my PPC copy, though I have been using it for centuries), but I can tell you for a fact that Fetch -- which I have also been using for millennia, and which recently proved to be more reliable than Cyberduck -- still works on PPC.
Transmit also still works.

I used to be a Fetch fanatic and then found Cyberduck, but later versions of that started acting weird on me so I switched to Transmit.

Transmit has come a long ways and it's really usable now. Version 4.2 is Universal (although you lose the app icon).

The only gotcha you have to watch out for is attempting to create a desktop shortcut for an FTP server. PowerPC does not like that for some reason and it will freeze the entire system.

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
Dropbox is working quite well for me across my ppc & intel devices however on my QS I am still struggling to switch accounts. I have to date:

1.) Pref->account->Unlink this drop box. - This just restarts the app with current account vs unlinking.
2.) Manually delete app & folder. - when I reinstall the DB app, I get a window stating that the DB folder is missing/this DB was previously linked to "the old" account/unlink to reconnect to an account.

I do this and the app restarts with the current account instead of giving me the option to relink with another/different account. I'm fixing permissions and rebuilding launchservices via onyx to see if that helps but I'm running out of idears here lol.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Dropbox is working quite well for me across my ppc & intel devices however on my QS I am still struggling to switch accounts. I have to date:

1.) Pref->account->Unlink this drop box. - This just restarts the app with current account vs unlinking.
2.) Manually delete app & folder. - when I reinstall the DB app, I get a window stating that the DB folder is missing/this DB was previously linked to "the old" account/unlink to reconnect to an account.

I do this and the app restarts with the current account instead of giving me the option to relink with another/different account. I'm fixing permissions and rebuilding launchservices via onyx to see if that helps but I'm running out of idears here lol.
After you unlink make sure you delete the Dropbox cache folder.

It's a hidden folder inside your Dropbox folder (I am assuming you want to retain the actual Dropbox folder itself).

Here is the filepath: /Users/~username/Dropbox/.dropbox.cache

Note the period in front of "dropbox-cache". It may be easier to get there if you open a Finder window and then use the Go To Folder command.

Just delete everything you find in the folder.

Reactions: 1042686

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
Hmm, what is perplexing is that I deleted the folder outright, so the hidden cache folder should've gone with it. I then replaced it with a copied dropbox folder from my PMG5 sent via bluetooth to the same space on my QSG4 where the old deleted folder lived also replacing the saved cache file. When I go to turn on DB, it still brings up/cycles through to the old account.

Oh well, I'll get back at it later. Time to drink mah coffee :D

Lud DiLettante

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2015
Finland
Hey. I see nobody else has mentioned this, but I got the following mail from Dropbox, with the subject "[Action required] Support is ending January 16, 2018 for one or more of your operating systems":

"We noticed that at least one of your devices is running the Dropbox desktop application on one or more of the following operating systems: OS X 10.6, OS X 10.7, OS X 10.8, and Windows Vista. We're writing to let you know that as of January 16, 2018, Dropbox will no longer support these operating systems." Etc.

Well, I don't even have any of those, I have 10.5... but at least there are many months left to wonder about this.

NathanJHill

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2014
Hey. I see nobody else has mentioned this, but I got the following mail from Dropbox, with the subject "[Action required] Support is ending January 16, 2018 for one or more of your operating systems":

"We noticed that at least one of your devices is running the Dropbox desktop application on one or more of the following operating systems: OS X 10.6, OS X 10.7, OS X 10.8, and Windows Vista. We're writing to let you know that as of January 16, 2018, Dropbox will no longer support these operating systems." Etc.

Well, I don't even have any of those, I have 10.5... but at least there are many months left to wonder about this.

Yes, I got the email too.

This could be the end of the line for us. If we cannot fool the server to think we are a later version of Mac OS, then our options are next to nil. But we'll wait and see, right?

The question is really a simple one - at what point will Dropbox drastically change their syncing algorithm/encryption/protocol/whatever so that older versions of Dropbox fail to sync? Or alternately, at what point will those of us on older versions end up getting system or file errors because of bad syncs? So far, we've been good, as their client changes have mostly been window dressing or software features that seem kind of optional. Likely, this means that they target and test for those later OS versions - it doesn't necessarily mean that Dropbox is going through some radical change.

So again, we'll cross that bridge when we get there. I thought it was a funny email cause I don't have any Macs with Snow Leopard. :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I have yet to receive any email and I DO have a Mac on Snow Leopard. :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
A few days ago I had Dropbox shut down on me with a permissions error. I tried to solve that today and despite uninstalling it entirely it refused to work.

It SHOULD be working because they don't cut off Snow Leopard until November. But it's not.

Well, I used this as an opportunity to see if Czo's app would work on my SL Mac (I have Rosetta installed).

Guess what? It's working?

Connected, got my six digit code and right now Dropbox is redownloading via LanSync.

Yet again, thanks @Czo

So, if you have a Snow Leopard Mac Czo's app will still keep you relevant.

Czo

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Debrecen, Hungary
A few days ago I had Dropbox shut down on me with a permissions error. I tried to solve that today and despite uninstalling it entirely it refused to work.

It SHOULD be working because they don't cut off Snow Leopard until November. But it's not.

Well, I used this as an opportunity to see if Czo's app would work on my SL Mac (I have Rosetta installed).

Guess what? It's working?

Connected, got my six digit code and right now Dropbox is redownloading via LanSync.

Yet again, thanks @Czo

So, if you have a Snow Leopard Mac Czo's app will still keep you relevant.

I think so, it will work (because, dropbox still runs and sync with the very first Windows client, so the protocol is still remeans the current one), but currently i can't check it because i am currently in holiday in the US.

Salumbre

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2015
I, too, got Dropbox's email of doom. (August 30, to be precise.) And I do have a couple of Macs on 10.6 --still my all-time favorite Mac OS.

Dropbox is really getting on my nerves. I wish there was a reasonable alternative to it, and especially a free one, as I have been using it for free for many years now. My workflow has long depended on it.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
I, too, got Dropbox's email of doom. (August 30, to be precise.) And I do have a couple of Macs on 10.6 --still my all-time favorite Mac OS.

Dropbox is really getting on my nerves. I wish there was a reasonable alternative to it, and especially a free one, as I have been using it for free for many years now. My workflow has long depended on it.

Have you looked into this?
Box is friendlier than Dropbox for older Macs

Czo

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Debrecen, Hungary
I am arrived back from the US and Canada. It was a great pleasure. I loved everything what i see, hear and feel.
I had a bad news for everyone. My powerbook charger is died (i dont't know when, and why because when i last used it, it's worked). I'am placed an order on ebay (used one), so i hope, it's arrive before dropbox terminates everything.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I am arrived back from the US and Canada. It was a great pleasure. I loved everything what i see, hear and feel.
I had a bad news for everyone. My powerbook charger is died (i dont't know when, and why because when i last used it, it's worked). I'am placed an order on ebay (used one), so i hope, it's arrive before dropbox terminates everything.
Hope your cable arrives soon.

I am noticing that I have to quit the app then reload it before anything will sync now. Still syncing, but this is what I have to dol.

Motier

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2017
Illinois, United States
Hope your cable arrives soon.

I am noticing that I have to quit the app then reload it before anything will sync now. Still syncing, but this is what I have to dol.
I have to quit and start the app to get it to sync. The only way I can figure out to quit it is from the Activity Monitor. Any other suggestions on how to quit?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I have to quit and start the app to get it to sync. The only way I can figure out to quit it is from the Activity Monitor. Any other suggestions on how to quit?
Hold down the OPTN key when clicking on the Dropbox icon in the menubar to get the old interface. You can then click on Quit.

DanM73

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2016
The problem with Box is that they limit you to 300mb uploads with their free service. If you have a file larger than that it's not going to sync.

Try creating a sparse disk image to bypass file size limitations:

hdiutil create -size 9.6g -type SPARSEBUNDLE -nospotlight -volname "Disk Image Band" -fs "Case-sensitive Journaled HFS+" -imagekey sparse-band-size=262144 ./BOX.sparsebundle

Move the sparsebundle you created to the Box folder and read/save your data inside the disk image you created instead of the Box folder directly. Great way to save ISO's and whatnot onto to storage with small file size limits.

D.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.