Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
I am arrived back from the US and Canada. It was a great pleasure. I loved everything what i see, hear and feel.
I had a bad news for everyone. My powerbook charger is died (i dont't know when, and why because when i last used it, it's worked). I'am placed an order on ebay (used one), so i hope, it's arrive before dropbox terminates everything.

I just tried to install the latest version you created on my new G5 but it won't let me login anymore, is this correct ?
The last version that was already installed on my PB G4 still tries to connect .

If you still have your charger issue, I will ship you one if needed if that's what it takes, just need the model number :)

Czo

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Debrecen, Hungary
I just tried to install the latest version you created on my new G5 but it won't let me login anymore, is this correct ?
The last version that was already installed on my PB G4 still tries to connect .

If you still have your charger issue, I will ship you one if needed if that's what it takes, just need the model number :)

The charger is on the way, maybe this arrives on this or next week.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011

I'm not having this issue, but I haven't tried connecting a new PowerPC Mac in a while either.

I know that to get it to sync now you have to quit the app and then restart it.

Motier

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2017
Illinois, United States
I'm not having this issue, but I haven't tried connecting a new PowerPC Mac in a while either.

I know that to get it to sync now you have to quit the app and then restart it.
I noticed this morning that the Dropbox app is working properly again! It is staying connected and without restarting the app it is syncing.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I noticed this morning that the Dropbox app is working properly again! It is staying connected and without restarting the app it is syncing.
Interesting. Have to check that out at home. Thanks!

MunichFanBoy

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2017
Seems that Dropbox stops working again. Message today (2017-12-01): "Please upgrade - 11 days left".

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Seems that Dropbox stops working again. Message today (2017-12-01): "Please upgrade - 11 days left".
We're waiting on @Czo.

He needed a power supply for his Mac and has been waiting for it. Assuming he has it by now he is probably working on another fix (hopefully).

Motier

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2017
Illinois, United States
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but you can always use Dropbox Uploader: https://github.com/andreafabrizi/Dropbox-Uploader

I use this on my systems that are not supported by Dropbox and it works great.
I am going to install this script but I have two questions about Dropbox. If I upload a new version [a file I've edited] to Dropbox, does the API archive the old version and replace it with the uploaded file? Similarly, if I download a file that has changed from Dropbox to my G5, will it just overwrite the older version of the file in my Dropbox folder? Thanks

NathanJHill

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2014
My G5 Dropbox client flickers but has seemed to log out.

Curious, after getting yet another email today about how Dropbox has logged out my Snow Leopard machines (not sure what that means), if you have seen an end to CZO's little hack? Still working for you?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
My G5 Dropbox client flickers but has seemed to log out.

Curious, after getting yet another email today about how Dropbox has logged out my Snow Leopard machines (not sure what that means), if you have seen an end to CZO's little hack? Still working for you?
It has not been working at all for me for about a month or so. All PowerPC Macs I own and my SL MBP. At some point I just quit the app. Don't need it taking CPU while doing nothing.

No word from Czo.

I have gone to the solution I originally created this thread for and that is to simply use the Dropbox folder on the Yosemite Mac Pro here at work. It's always on and I can connect to it from anywhere.

caesar753

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2018
Italy
me too: i couldn't get dropbox connect since Christmas, tody i have received a mail from dropbox which warns me that all my leopard devices were disconnected. Any solution for the client?

Czo

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Debrecen, Hungary
I am working on it, but 10.9 introduces too many changes that i need to workaround. It’s a bit slow because i am not used any of my PPC Mac’s in the last two years for daily things.

Reactions: eyoungren

pvall88

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2018
Hello! I've been lurking around here for a bit; this is my first time posting. I just wanted to see if you all have any recommendations for me. I'm on a mid-2010 MBP happily running Snow Leopard that I mostly use for music recording & editing work. Dropbox dropping 10.6.8 support is the first big issue in my workflow associated with my reluctance to update my OS. (I understand "update your OS" is an obvious recommendation- I'm trying to avoid that, but if I really have to, I'll start diving into that.)

My Dropbox application stopped working a week or so ago, so I'm using the web interface for now, but it's a little clunky to navigate through. I was quite happy having Dropbox integration in to Finder; is anyone else in the same situation as me? If so, what do you recommend?

I tried Czo's fix in post 168, but that hasn't worked for me yet this week. @Czo - reading this thread, I see you've done a lot of work to help fight this problem- so I just want to say thank you.
Also, I've tried looking at the Dropbox Uploader BASH script on GitHub, but, unfortunately, I don't quite understand where to begin with that.

Thanks for any assistance! :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Hello! I've been lurking around here for a bit; this is my first time posting. I just wanted to see if you all have any recommendations for me. I'm on a mid-2010 MBP happily running Snow Leopard that I mostly use for music recording & editing work. Dropbox dropping 10.6.8 support is the first big issue in my workflow associated with my reluctance to update my OS. (I understand "update your OS" is an obvious recommendation- I'm trying to avoid that, but if I really have to, I'll start diving into that.)

My Dropbox application stopped working a week or so ago, so I'm using the web interface for now, but it's a little clunky to navigate through. I was quite happy having Dropbox integration in to Finder; is anyone else in the same situation as me? If so, what do you recommend?

I tried Czo's fix in post 168, but that hasn't worked for me yet this week. @Czo - reading this thread, I see you've done a lot of work to help fight this problem- so I just want to say thank you.
Also, I've tried looking at the Dropbox Uploader BASH script on GitHub, but, unfortunately, I don't quite understand where to begin with that.

Thanks for any assistance! :)
Right now, we are all waiting. Czo is working on a fix but it's a bit more difficult than it has been.

If you have access to a Mac running a more modern OS or a PC you could install Dropbox there and then share that folder to your SL Mac.

This is what I am doing for now with the Mac Pro I have at work. I can connect to it anywhere and I just use it's Dropbox folder.

Czo

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Debrecen, Hungary
Right now, we are all waiting. Czo is working on a fix but it's a bit more difficult than it has been.

If you have access to a Mac running a more modern OS or a PC you could install Dropbox there and then share that folder to your SL Mac.

This is what I am doing for now with the Mac Pro I have at work. I can connect to it anywhere and I just use it's Dropbox folder.

I'am working on it, but i need more and more time. The main problem is, when fooling dropbox, to think it is 10.9, dropbox trying to use some services from 10.9 (especially the notification center). I need to remove this things to make it work.

Maybe it will works on 10.6 and 10.7 and 10.8 too, but i can't test it only on 10.5/PPC.

sparklight

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
Redding, California
Yes, i am working on it, but currently i had no ETA.

Thank you so much, Czo, for being there. Just today discovered that Dropbox has dumped 10.6, as of merely a month ago. Please let us know when you have a fix again!

(Does anybody understand why dropbox is being so silly about this? Surely they would benefit from more goodwill and enthusiasm by not trying so hard to dump people!)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
(Does anybody understand why dropbox is being so silly about this? Surely they would benefit from more goodwill and enthusiasm by not trying so hard to dump people!)
They answered that question on their own forums over two years ago.

Basically, they don't care.

There's more Intel Mac users running later versions of OS X then there are PowerPC users. Czo approached them and offered to maintain a version for PowerPC and they ignored him.

They are a business and since we don't make them much money in the grander scale of things they dropped us.

Which is why Czo has had to reverse-engineer things. Which they don't like, so they censored the links to this thread on their forum.

pvall88

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2018

Got it- thanks for the heads up!
I have Parallells running Windows 7 on the same machine- perhaps that could work.

I appreciate the helpful info here- thanks again!

EnriqueG

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2017
Can we assume that this is finally dead? Dropbox support is the only thing that kept me in Leopard instead of Tiger.

Anyway thanks for the support these years. It made working with my G4 easier.

Czo

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Debrecen, Hungary
Can we assume that this is finally dead? Dropbox support is the only thing that kept me in Leopard instead of Tiger.

Anyway thanks for the support these years. It made working with my G4 easier.

I had a vision to make it working but my PB G4 still sitting on my desk. I don't feel any strength to work with that problem. Maybe sometimes it will work again.

Speedonl

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2018
I had a vision to make it working but my PB G4 still sitting on my desk. I don't feel any strength to work with that problem. Maybe sometimes it will work again.
I have DropBox installed on a Raspberry Pi with Pixel. The DropBox directory is shared over the network, working great for all my ancient computers and the Pi can easely run all the time because of the low power consumption.

Schermafbeelding 2018-07-08 om 5.53.40 AM.png

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I have DropBox installed on a Raspberry Pi with Pixel. The DropBox directory is shared over the network, working great for all my ancient computers and the Pi can easely run all the time because of the low power consumption.

View attachment 769533
Yeah, that's what I've had to do for the last six months or so. Only, the computer mine is installed on is a Mac Pro at work that's left running 24/7 that I can connect to from anywhere.

Except for the latency in transmission it works fairly well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.