Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I see your point but I would prefer it to be stated as things “I don’t like” about it, and even “don’t want” it. The part about whether they return or not doesn’t help me at all personally.

But I get that it is probably semantics and not really that different. Also people will share anyway, so it’s kind of irrelevant. I still manage to filter everything out but the important information.

I see your point and sorta feel the same.... returning often is a financial decision and hence highly subjective. Tells me nothing about whether I should buy, return, or keep. I too prefer to hear about people's experiences and then let me decide how I feel about it and how it fits into my world (or not).

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I think that a lot of people want and need validation for their choices, so they choose to share them pubicly in order to feel justified in what they did. If you’re alone in the wilderness, it doesn’t feel so great, but if you have peers that have made the same decision as you, then you feel validated and that you made a good decision.

This is a really really slippery slope. not saying you are wrong, but the need to validate personal decisions often leads people to need to put something down (or build it up) instead of being objective. I am the first to admit the AVP is not for many people right now, but it is right for me and I dont need any validation for that decision (which is a good thing, not going to get it here lol)

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I see your point and sorta feel the same.... returning often is a financial decision and hence highly subjective. Tells me nothing about whether I should buy, return, or keep. I too prefer to hear about people's experiences and then let me decide how I feel about it and how it fits into my world (or not).
I have to disagree. One poster who ultimately returned the VP said he would have kept it at $3000, but $4000 was too much for him. That kind of information is valuable to me.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Thanks for providing the details. But that sounds like an issue with the quality of the stream, not a problem with VP hardware or software? Am I missing or not understanding something?
Yes, I understood later after the game that Paramount+ was having an issue with the live streaming.

I was so looking forward to using the VP longer than 30 minutes even if my face was hurting just for the Superbowl game.

Affordability was not a concern as I have a small business and would have written it off my taxes as part of office computer expenses.

I just found that day after day, I would not want to put the VP on my face.

Maybe I just have a sensitive set of facial bones and sinus issues ??

Still hoping for V2 - maybe then it will be better usable ?

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I have to disagree. One poster who ultimately returned the VP said he would have kept it at $3000, but $4000 was too much for him. That kind of information is valuable to me.

how so? seriously. without knowing how much disposable income he has compared to yours there is no scalar. even then, people have very different comfort levels with levels of savings (or debt).

Whenever someone lists cost as their main objection (sometimes only) I learn zero about the device, a little bit about them.

Reactions: gerald.d

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
how so? seriously. without knowing how much disposable income he has compared to yours there is no scalar. even then, people have very different comfort levels with levels of savings (or debt).

Whenever someone lists cost as their main objection (sometimes only) I learn zero about the device, a little bit about them.
I agree the information isn't very useful unless you have some context about the poster's financial status. On the other hand, that a 1000 dollars difference makes an impact on their decision is itself a clue to their financial status. In any case, it's just one data point among many. As you say, maybe this price sensitivity reveals more about the poster than the device. But that extra information helps me put their other observations and reactions to the device in fuller context.

deaglecat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
I returned my AVP after 8 days of owning it thinking it was the right decision. Now almost a week has past and I find myself trying to buy one again even if it's a used one. Anyone else here feel the same way or am I just crazy?
I would be interested in the used prices of these, to get a feel for how much they hold their value.

There must now be some buyers outside the returns window who might be considering selling e.g. on ebay...

Reactions: G5isAlive

clcnyc

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
NYC
This is probably the only Apple product I've ever returned. My reasoning is that after not touching it for more than a week, I thought I just wasn't ready for it yet, and I couldn't justify that much on my cc. I felt a tinge of regret after returning, but it quickly disappeared. I'll definitely get the next gen.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
I would be interested in the used prices of these, to get a feel for how much they hold their value.

There must now be some buyers outside the returns window who might be considering selling e.g. on ebay...

I'd expect at least at 25% hair cut out of the gate

You have to clear Apple pricing by a good margin on something like this, where the desirability of "new" and "new warranty" and "return policy" all factor in pretty heavily.

The more expensive a tech item, the more likely folks are to be a bit cautious and prefer buying from a first party (or equivalent)

I'm even wondering about the "where" of selling these.
Quite a product to put on eBay and then navigate eBay/Paypal policies as a seller..

My heart goes out to anyone selling one of these on there

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
Just a slight aside to all those posts citing an opinion along the lines of “just get X, basically the same but way cheaper and way more apps”

Looking at a new Porsche 911? Just get a Yugo. Way cheaper and easier to repair!

Not to disparage either Yugo nor your preferred VR/AR headset but anybody in the market for an AVP or a 911 is unlikely to be content with those alternatives…

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
Owning a VisionPro and reading all the talk about the Quest 3, I went out and bought one. What a joke, no comparison at all, the Quest is a toy. Not even a good functioning one. Now my curiosity is over, I love the VP, and the Quest is going back today. Mission accomplished!
Except the Quest has better hand tracking, ACTUAL SOCIAL apps, many more games, can be exercised while wearing, AND soon better sports experiences…

Reactions: pdoherty

ForkHandles

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2012
Never having returned an Apple product myself, I have a question:

How does Apple deal with people who repeat return items for a full refund?
It seems there area a lot of reviewers who seem to do this all the time, so don't they get a black mark against their name?
Do Apple let you return only so many items before refusing a future refund, or is it something like 1 or 2 items a year.

I'm guessing there must be some tracking of you as a customer being done so they know who you are, where you live and what items you have previously returned.
In this uk we have a ’distance selling law’
If you buy ANYTHING online or through a catalogue, you have 14 days to inspect and return.

There are no limits, however there are exceptions if you new that the supplier was making something bespoke to your needs.

Reactions: fatTribble

Disher

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2024
Except the Quest has better hand tracking, ACTUAL SOCIAL apps, many more games, can be exercised while wearing, AND soon better sports experiences…

Wrong, nice try, the hand tracking was horrible, amongst others

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
I think that a lot of people want and need validation for their choices, so they choose to share them pubicly in order to feel justified in what they did. If you’re alone in the wilderness, it doesn’t feel so great, but if you have peers that have made the same decision as you, then you feel validated and that you made a good decision.
Having hiked a local trail over the weekend, I'd prefer seeing less people. There's so much trash dropped along the trail despite a large trash can at the start of the trail loop. Pack out what you pack in, or spare the wilderness your unneeded presence.

Reactions: G5isAlive

Catasstrophy

Suspended
Jan 22, 2024

Have you ever used a vision pro? I have, and I own a quest 3. The hand tracking on the quest 3 is absolute trash in comparison. As are the visuals in literally every way.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
Well I caved and bought an AVP again but this time on ebay brand new for $2900 before shipping/taxes. I know buying on ebay is a risk but this would be a great deal than paying full price

Brutal bath that seller is taking -- already!

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
In this uk we have a ’distance selling law’
If you buy ANYTHING online or through a catalogue, you have 14 days to inspect and return.

There are no limits, however there are exceptions if you new that the supplier was making something bespoke to your needs.

Indeed you are of course correct in the rights we have, but common sense tells me Apple will be keeping track of you, what you buy, and if you return something and build up a secret profile on you as a customer, your name, address and contact details.

If people think I'm wrong.

Please try ordering a brand new Vision Pro once a month, and returning it for a full refund after 14 days each time.
So over a year, you would in effect have a Vision Pro for 6 months ownership and never needed to pay anything.

See how long Apple will let you keep doing that, as I said they will be tracking your purchases secretly and ban you from buying another device after perhaps the 2nd, 3rd or 4th return I'd guess

If Apple are not tracking you and keeping records on you and you can keep buying and returning all year then I would be shocked and very surprised.

(Does it actually say in any of their terms of service you are not allowed to do this?)

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Indeed you are of course correct in the rights we have, but common sense tells me Apple will be keeping track of you, what you buy, and if you return something and build up a secret profile on you as a customer, your name, address and contact details.

Please try ordering a brand new Vision Pro once a month, and returning it for a full refund after 14 days each time.
So over a year, you would in effect have a Vision Pro for 6 months ownership and never needed to pay anything.

See how long Apple will let you keep doing that, as I said they will be tracking your purchases secretly and ban you from buying another device after perhaps the 2nd, 3rd or 4th return I'd guess

If Apple are not tracking you and keeping records on you and you can keep buying and returning all year then I would be shocked and very surprised.

(Does it actually say in any of their terms of service you are not allowed to do this?)
It’s possible Apple tracks, but has anyone ever heard of Apple denying a sale or return because of this? I don’t think I’ve heard of any major retailer actually doing this. I’d be curious to hear if anyone has.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Owning a VisionPro and reading all the talk about the Quest 3, I went out and bought one. What a joke, no comparison at all, the Quest is a toy. Not even a good functioning one. Now my curiosity is over, I love the VP, and the Quest is going back today. Mission accomplished!
wow. how can you say this?

Anyone reading that comment please disregard as its completely inaccurate.

The Quest 3 is far from a toy. It is a very capable device and very good quality considering the price.

It is more than capable of a lot of things the VP can do although of course not all of them - but a feature set which may well completely satisfy a proportion of VP users.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013

I think you are right.

Our UK distance selling law is all well and good but a lot of retailers will stipulate that the item must be returned unused and unopened and in a re-saleable condition.

Apple seems to allow you to open it, use it for 2 weeks, and then return it.

Id be very surprised if they didnt intervene - and also am surprised at how many YouTubers or social media wannabes seem to get away with it time and again.

Frankly. Id support Apple cracking down after a reasonable amount of times - its a great policy and very much appreciated but definitely not designed for abuse.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
It’s possible Apple tracks, but has anyone ever heard of Apple denying a sale or return because of this? I don’t think I’ve heard of any major retailer actually doing this. I’d be curious to hear if anyone has.

Haven't heard of any Apple denying any returns. Not the case for other sellers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.