Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
The signaling by this grown adult male is cringe beyond cringe. Grown-up thinking is simple. First, don't throw a tantrum, in public, on the Internet, at home. It makes you an infant. Second, include the scientific process into your deductions, notably falsifliability. This is hard, yes, but for a moment consider all the varying possibilities that you could be—could be—wrong! Starting with a conclusion first makes you a child.

Claiming gender discrimination without evidence is just a means to score social brownie points from the Internet and an attaboy from this moron's wife.
That's a lot of words to describe virtue signalling.

Nothing to see here.

Reactions: Pikup Andropov

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
giphy.gif

Focusx0131

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2017
It sounds like if they “fixed” those higher limits by reducing them by a factor of ten to match their spouses they would have way more to be upset about.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Wow, this comment section is full of experts on the financial affairs of Woz and DHH. Maybe he's jumping to conclusions, but I'm not sure that I would immediately trust GS and their algorithm either.

Pretty sure my wife didn’t indicate her gender on the app. I never applied for one so can’t compare. Honestly couldn’t tell you if gender is marked on credit reports or how GS would even know.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Wow, this comment section is full of experts on the financial affairs of Woz and DHH. Maybe he's jumping to conclusions, but I'm not sure that I would immediately trust GS and their algorithm either.

I will reserve commenting on if GS is founded relating to gender discrimination as none of us here have all the facts, however trusting a financial/credit institute ::cough cough:: financial collapse of 2008, such short term memory loss, lol.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
It sounds like if they “fixed” those higher limits by reducing them by a factor of ten to match their spouses they would have way more to be upset about.

Credit is granted on a FICO score, can a couple have varying scores, possible but by what margin between the two.
[automerge]1573446276[/automerge]
Pretty sure my wife didn’t indicate her gender on the app. I never applied for one so can’t compare. Honestly couldn’t tell you if gender is marked on credit reports or how GS would even know.

FICO records, you may prefer to not disclose however you may have at some point in your adult life that you may have forgotten.

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
What we don’t know is how much the women got as a CL.

If Woz wife was extended $20k, and Woz $200k, there can be MANY reasons for that.

One big mistake these tech guys are making in their outrage is assuming that a computer algorithm did it. High limits go through HUMAN review, and there can be valid reasons why the creator of the Apple computer or the partner in a big corporation may be extended EXTRA CL by an underwriter.

Community property doesn’t matter. You could divorce tomorrow. Your future ability to pay is what matters.

A high credit score doesn’t mean you will get a high CL, only that you will be preapproved and get a low rate. History of balances, payments, debt to credit ratio, etc. factor in greatly to your CL.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
History will tell the story of how Twitter became the sentient A.I. that overthrew humanity while everyone embraced it in return for having the right to whine about something. Anything. Next come the machines. Game Over.

I see dumb people.

Expect more twitter rants as he seemed to get what he wanted. I’d have cancelled both their accounts probably.

Reactions: c0ppo and KzsQ30tJ

tCdemon

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
Placentia, CA, USA
Think about this...majority of credit cards you can add an additional cardholder (spouse, kids, etc) and they don't run their credit...with my parents my dad is the primary account holder to all credit cards...so technically my mom isn't responsible to any of those debts, but at the same time she technically doesn't have a credit card under her own name, she doesn't have a credit history of her own...so it make sense to give her a lower credit card limit since she doesn't have any real credit history or credit cards that were open under her own ssn.

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
For sure. this stuff is all automated.

I have a feeling this discussion is going to veer into PRSI if it hasn't already.
It’s not though.

High net worth individuals are pulled out of SKYNET and actually go to an underwriter. One who might see “Steve Wozniak” on the app and increase his limit 10x because they want him to buy every tech product on earth on his card so they can collect the 3%.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
And tell people how to scam the system?

Nothing to see here, 99% of these are automated decisions made by a computer without any kind of gender code in them. People are just looking for attention and Wozniak is trying to become relevant again.
Uh...there's only one scam here, and it's the credit card system.

TomMcIn

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
Canada
As with all these dumb click bait articles, getting "Apple" into the title is the first requirement. The title should have said Goldman Sachs is being looked into. But like all of Forbes attacks on Apple, nobody clicks if Apple is not in the title.

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Credit is issued based on your debt to income ratio and your total debt to available balance ratio; that's why they always pull your report and ask for your income, rather than just looking at your credit score. Your credit rating factors in, but those two ratios are the primary determining factors. My wife has a better credit score than I do, but because I'm the primary breadwinner, I'm always given higher credit limits because of my debt to income ratio.

Net worth, community property, being married for years, etc... those have nothing to do with it.

And yes, I'm in the industry and have been for 18 years.

krizalidzero

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2015
"I'm a woman and didn't get the card.
3 of my male friends got it.

It has nothing to do with them making 3 times what I make, no, it is because I am a woman"

The thought of people complaining might be along those lines (except they never go as far as to mention to themselves the part where they aren't a good investment for making less or having a worse credit record).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.