Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It would make totally sense to me not to factor in overall household income, but the income of that person.
Often enough what’s asked for on applications is household income, which would basically be the same for spouses (unless they themselves separate things and would decide to provide and use that separate information).

schlitzz

macrumors regular
Was Rosie O'Donnell approved for the Apple Card? What's next? A fake headline about people with fatter fingers being denied?

Microsoft's Windows Card, has very strong criteria. No coughing at orchestra concerts, and each applicant must demonstrate the ability to parallel park.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Apparently in this case the wife had the higher credit score, though.

If I had to guess I’d assume that she has a lower income or higher debt, despite having the higher credit limit?
I did see where the guy pulled his and his wife’s credit scores, but unless he got the TransUnion FICO 9 version, which is the scoring model Goldman is using, they wouldn’t be particularly meaningful, and should be disregarded.

As you mention, there are other important factors in determining initial credit limits besides credit score, particularly stated income and debt to (stated) income ratio.

Also, even if two people have the same income and exactly the same credit score—i.e. same degree of creditworthiness/risk of default—there can be a huge difference in the credit line an automated underwriting system may offer.

Some other factors which might be considered by the automated decisioning algorithm include: size of existing limits (sometimes a lender will match your highest limit); whether existing revolving credit accounts are individual or authorized user; and any other info that may or may not already be reflected in the FICO score, such as recents lates, number of cards with balances, presence of a public record (judgment, lien, bankruptcy, etc.) and presence of a collection account.

I‘m pretty sure that being new to the game, Goldman is using a canned decisioning package such as FICO’s Capstone Decision Management system. No need to re-invent the wheel.

P.S. Also thrown into the mix: there has been an ongoing glitch (since the invite period) where Goldman has been incorrectly assigning a default $1,000 credit limit to some applicants, and in some cases interest rates were set higher than they should have been. I’ve heard anecdotal reports of cardholders being contacted by GS and had their credit limits drastically increased and their interest rates dropped to the lowest tier.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Nothing to see here, 99% of these are automated decisions made by a computer without any kind of gender code in them.
And automated decisions are made by systems trained with decisions originally made by humans. It's well known that automated systems reflect the biases of the people that originally trained them.
[automerge]1573469307[/automerge]
The signaling by this grown adult male is cringe beyond cringe.
I don't consider a phrase like "complaints that those decisions appear in some cases to have been made in a discriminatory manner on the basis of gender" as throwing a tantrum. It's rather the reading of such a phrase as 'throwing a tantrum' that seems to be the overreaction.

Last edited:

jimothyGator

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I feel dumber for having read DHH’s Twitter thread. No, not all of it; his rant goes on for days. But enough of it to get the general tone.

People respond to him with explanations more plausible than blatant sex discrimination; DHH quotes them and responds, essentially, with “Oh look, a man doesn’t believe Goldman Sachs is openly sexist! You must be sexist too! I suppose a wife shouldn’t even get a credit card with her husband’s permission!”

If Goldman really was sexist, it’s be DHH with the lower credit limit; he’s such a drama queen.

Last edited:

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
Why is it ok men pay more for insurance.
For car insurance? Because men drive more than women and thus get in more accidents than women.

For health insurance? Women pay more because they go to the doctor more often and quite a few of them have babies, which are expensive. ACA mandated that they not discriminate though (by discriminating against men making them pay more than they would otherwise, I guess)

For life insurance? Men pay more because they die earlier than women do.

Insurance is a bit of a scam anyway, too many people lining their pockets along the chain.

Reactions: J.J. Sefton

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
I always knew Apple was the company that would be on the wrong side of history regarding the cis-heteropatriarchy.
except it's not Apple here...
[automerge]1573470571[/automerge]
it's entirely possible for partners to have different credit scores, happens all the time.
It is the same with Amex for me and my wife. And we share the same bank account.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
So from my understanding, I am supposed to believe that this is apparently not an issue with any other bank? That everyone is happy with the credit limit they got from them?

Yet a tweet from some guy (albeit a very rich and influential one) on social media is enough to get law enforcement to investigate the matter? It doesn’t even seem like he has filed a formal complaint with the respective authorities.

How is this even a thing again?

Reactions: makingmark

Bin Cook

Suspended
Jun 16, 2018
Two world class programmers question an algorithm's accuracy. Don't worry, MR members are here to tell they why they are wrong.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
Income field will be the exact same for married couples
Jointly held assets are not the same as an income. Or a credit score for that matter.

This non-story seems like modern-era stupidity. People in this thread are already contorting themselves into blaming...you guessed it...Apple. I guarantee “Timmy” is next.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Two world class programmers question an algorithm's accuracy. Don't worry, MR members are here to tell they why they are wrong.

DHH might be good at programming no idea. But he sucks at finance. He even talks of purchasing trans union to see his score because he’s probably oblivious to it. Nothing wrong with that.

As a cpa I deal with many successful individuals that know squat about finance. That’s why they hire people to do it for them.

But no answer was good enough for him. He’s profane. He’s actually dealing with customer service all over the place as if these grunt employees have any clue. Nope he took to Twitter where he knew he could get attention. Another social justice warrior armed with nothing.

Muzzakus

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
A credit card is a woman’s best friend. Just ask my wife and the room dedicated to shoes.

I’m sure she has more shoes than your average shoe outlet. I fancy myself somewhat of a shoe baron as I twirl my moustache.

Smoak5

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2016
Wow. So many social justice warriors. Yes. The algorithm is sexists. It has to be. Credit decisions is a risk. Why is my life insurance so much more than my wife’s when we re both equally healthy, same cholesterol, blood pressure, age and other biometrics? Is the life insurance business sexist? Yes it is. It is based on facts and it turns out men don’t live as long as women. Maybe it is based on facts that women have a higher credit risk based on metrics and other epidemiological evidence. Don’t get so triggered.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Why is it ok men pay more for insurance.
Auto insurance? Because they have a higher incidence (and probably higher claim amounts) than women at a given age. More accidents and higher payouts equals higher premiums.

Life insurance? Because they’re more likely at any given age to die than are women during the policy period. The insurance company is more likely to have to payout on a male vs. a female.

That's my understanding anyway.

iKrivetko

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2010
It is of course uncool that there is such a difference and the process is so opaque, but I don't quite like this "guilty until proven innocent" approach.

Reactions: jimothyGator

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
Life insurance? Because they’re more likely at any given age to die than are women during the policy period. The insurance company is more likely to have to payout on a male vs. a female.
Actually AFAIK this is illegal e.g. in the EU for some kind of life insurances. This means gender is not to be considered among risk factors and in fact men get a lower premium compared to their "actual" risk. Women get a higher premium compared to their risk, basically subsidizing the men's higher risk.

This is what happens when decisions are driven by political correctness instead of reality.

Reactions: hans1972

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas

you realize that it’s like when those doctors go on TV to “diagnose” some VIP without even having met him/her, right?
The fact that they are great at their job doesn’t mean that they have some sort of universal conscience of the work and the inner mechanisms of other people’s work. Unless they have experience in financial algorithms and unless they have seen what they are criticizing their opinion is as valuable as mine.

Reactions: PC_tech and manni

Foohammy

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2019
My wife and I each applied for the same Citi card at the same time. I had the higher credit score and higher reported income and she received a much higher credit limit than I did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.