Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amagichnich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
Will do. Thanks. Will the activation of CandyBar help with the icon issue I'm having?
Do have png versions as well? There seem to be different standards for icns as some work and some don't. I had the same issue once but had png as well and converted them to icns which worked. Sadly I can't recall what program i used

Last edited:

kge420

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2008
You were using the version of CandyBar I provided, right?

If so, I can only think to do what the others have suggested.

That's correct. Also using the icons provided in the theme pack.
I'll keep plugging away. I get the feeling it's me!

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Just had an idea as to what may be going on.

On my testing Macs, I used a different method for Finder, trash, folder, etc. icons and only dragged-and-dropped for app icons. Try and see if app icons work.

Although this was working for @doggoli, so it probably is a problem with your machine. Can't hurt to try this though!
[doublepost=1496788152][/doublepost]As I mentioned, the uninstaller will be in 1.1, as bug fixes (ATM and Spotlight). 2.0 will be called "Tiger High Sierra Theme" as there is no UI difference between Sierra and High Sierra (in case you don't know, High Sierra is going to be the next macOS; it was announced at WWDC yesterday).

The High Sierra Theme will bring more icons, an icon installer, and some nice wallpapers... any other suggestions?

kge420

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2008
I'll give that a go and report back.
[doublepost=1496797463][/doublepost]fwiw I have a completely stock install of 10.4.11

DanMG

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2016
Btw, if anyone wants to take this over and improve it, please do. PM me and I can send you all the files I used.
So is this dead or is there still an upcoming update yet to be released? Was really hoping to have an uninstaller option and an easy way to patch all icons. This is really the only modern ui option for G3 based machines.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
So is this dead or is there still an upcoming update yet to be released? Was really hoping to have an uninstaller option and an easy way to patch all icons. This is really the only modern ui option for G3 based machines.
Yes, it's dead now. Unless someone with the necessary skills takes it over.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
In that case can you tell us how to manually uninstall it in case we need to....Or is it too complex?
Well, there's only one problem... you'd need the original files that it replaces.

My last ever PPC project release will be the original Tiger files along with a document saying where to put them. Replace the updated files with the originals and it will be uninstalled.

kge420

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2008
I know the solution to your problem....Download pixadex put icons inside of it and then drag the icons from pixadex to candybar. It should work!

https://pixadex.en.softonic.com/mac
Tried 2 download sites for Pixadex. The one you provided and Cnet. Magellan would have trouble navigating either one. I'll put this on the back burner. Thanks to all for their interest/help.

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
The issue with the spotlight icon was that the "Normal" (non-clicked) Blue theme icon file has an extension of ".tif" instead of ".tiff" and the images for the Graphite theme were actually the original blue files.

I've re-rendered the icon (and corner rounded-edge) to look a bit more consistent with LeopardRebirth (which uses PDF instead of the TIFF format for this icon).

Download the attached TigerSierra-SpotlightFix.zip file, which contains four .tiff files, copy them into /System/Library/CoreServices/Search.bundle/Contents/Resources/ replacing the existing. I found that Finder didn't allow this copy even after authenticating, so you may need to use "sudo cp" in Terminal.app to put them into place.

Screen grabs of the spotlight fix attached in both Blue and Graphite colour themes:

Screen Shot 2017-07-09 at 4.34.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-09 at 4.35.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-09 at 4.36.59 PM.png

Attachments

• TigerSierra-SpotlightFix.zip
    12.7 KB · Views: 502

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
The issue with the spotlight icon was that the "Normal" (non-clicked) Blue theme icon file has an extension of ".tif" instead of ".tiff" and the images for the Graphite theme were actually the original blue files.

I've re-rendered the icon (and corner rounded-edge) to look a bit more consistent with LeopardRebirth (which uses PDF instead of the TIFF format for this icon).

Download the attached TigerSierra-SpotlightFix.zip file, which contains four .tiff files, copy them into /System/Library/CoreServices/Search.bundle/Contents/Resources/ replacing the existing. I found that Finder didn't allow this copy even after authenticating, so you may need to use "sudo cp" in Terminal.app to put them into place.

Screen grabs of the spotlight fix attached in both Blue and Graphite colour themes:

View attachment 707788

View attachment 707789

View attachment 707790
Great, thanks for fixing this! I'll edit my original post saying to use this file.

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Great, thanks for fixing this! I'll edit my original post saying to use this file.

No problem. Thank you for putting together the theme. As others have reported, I've also have had issues with the supplied version of Candybar displaying generic ICNS icons for everything I drop into the image wells.

Pixadex downloads appear to be all dead-ends. It's as if the app vaporized into the ether... I'll keep playing around with Candybar 2 and see if I can't figure out what the weirdness is all about.

zappaesque

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2017
No problem. Thank you for putting together the theme. As others have reported, I've also have had issues with the supplied version of Candybar displaying generic ICNS icons for everything I drop into the image wells.

Pixadex downloads appear to be all dead-ends. It's as if the app vaporized into the ether... I'll keep playing around with Candybar 2 and see if I can't figure out what the weirdness is all about.

Try img2icns ver 0.5.1 to convert your icons. Drop your icns files into it and it "downgrades" the icns to usable icons. Failing that, you can always use the same program to convert your icns to folders, and those work with Candybar 2 as well.

Reactions: AmazingHenry

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan

Pixadex is on the PPCAppStore.

Thanks for all your work on fixing the bugs in this project. Any fixes you release, I'll edit in to Post #1.

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Try img2icns ver 0.5.1 to convert your icons. Drop your icns files into it and it "downgrades" the icns to usable icons. Failing that, you can always use the same program to convert your icns to folders, and those work with Candybar 2 as well.

Thanks. img2icns worked well. To save anyone else the trouble, I've packaged the icons into iContainer format to load into Candybar with just a click (Instead of having to drag all the icon files across manually).

TigerSierraSystemIcons.zip
TigerSierraAppleAppIcons.zip

They are not totally comprehensive, but should cover most of the default icons and basic Apple apps.

Picture 1.jpg

Attachments

• TigerSierraSystemIcons.zip
    347.3 KB · Views: 603
  • TigerSierraAppleAppIcons.zip
    626 KB · Views: 549

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Thanks. img2icns worked well. To save anyone else the trouble, I've packaged the icons into iContainer format to load into Candybar with just a click (Instead of having to drag all the icon files across manually).

TigerSierraSystemIcons.zip
TigerSierraAppleAppIcons.zip

They are not totally comprehensive, but should cover most of the default icons and basic Apple apps.

View attachment 707950
Thanks! :) Post #1 editied.

Once you're all done with your fixes/mods, we should package them into one download that could be alongside the theme in the PPCAppStore!

Reactions: AphoticD

zappaesque

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2017
A couple of apps can be installed to approximate Quicklook and Launchpad in Tiger. MacGizmo is similar to Quicklook. Once installed, you assign a key combo to trigger the window. RapidoStart is a reasonable facsimile of Launchpad, although you have to add your own apps to it. Again, you can assign a hotkey to trigger it or use the orb that it places next to your dock (left or right side; your choice).

I picked up a cheap iBook G4 1.33 and have been playing around with Tiger and this theme, and thought I'd mention these two personal discoveries.

zappaesque

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2017
Another neat tweak I found is an app called Imagine Boot X 2, which allows you to change your boot screen to whatever you want. You can change the Apple logo in the center to something different and change the background color. For instance, I changed mine to a black boot screen with a white apple in the center (although I can't see the spinner. Oh well). This only works under Tiger.

One more tweak, to get rid of the fake loading panel that appears before the login panel (or the desktop, if you automatically log in), is to delete /usr/exec/WaitingForLoginWindow. The panel disappears and doesn't negatively affect anything. This particular panel was once an actual functioning part of the boot up in OS X, but they faked it in Tiger.

More info: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20050614201205203

antmarobel

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2009
Brasília
Ok guys!! Hold on a second! I bought this gorgeous white iMac 5.1 last week just to run mac OS X Tiger (which I love) just for fun. Now I understand that there is an active "PPCAppStore"??? I mean...are all those applications fully working??...Adium working properly?? What?? Can someone enlight me here, please?? Is there, by any chance, a "IntelAppStore"...Anyone???:eek:

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Ok guys!! Hold on a second! I bought this gorgeous white iMac 5.1 last week just to run mac OS X Tiger (which I love) just for fun. Now I understand that there is an active "PPCAppStore"??? I mean...are all those applications fully working??...Adium working properly?? What?? Can someone enlight me here, please?? Is there, by any chance, a "IntelAppStore"...Anyone???:eek:

Most of those applications should run fine on Intel, especially when Rosetta is present.

Go ahead and get the PPCAppStore and try what you think you're going to like. It should go just dandy as long as you're running Snow Leopard and below.

Personally, I have a few favorites there myself.

(Someone made a thread here in the PowerPC forum a little while ago about early Intel Macs and how they possess the same spiritual likeness as the late PowerPC Macs. Honestly, I don't think they're wrong. Of course, Rosetta maybe helps a little in that regard.)

amagichnich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
I run 10.6 also on another mac and except for some apps all run fine on Intel too! (CorePlayer...)

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Yes, it's dead now. Unless someone with the necessary skills takes it over.

Although I lurk around about once a month here nowadays, I'm still doing work on this theme, mainly because I hate leaving things unfinished . My rants about insecure lads needing to be "first" from late last year aside, I've shared my recent updates with AmazingHenry (which constitute a nearly completed theme), and hopefully he will issue an update soon. I've corrected a lot of the resource color issues from the original theme, and changed a whole slew of other resources I left out of the original theme. Thanks to AphoticD for catching and fixing my Spotlight theming glitch and his icon packs, and thanks to Zappaesque for mentioning MacGizmo, RapidOStart, Imagine Boot X, and his WaitingForWindowServer tweak. Cool stuff, mates. Here are some recent screenshots from my 667 Mhz TiBook VGA (including AphoticD's fix):

picture1.png

picture2.png

picture3.png

picture4.png

I have a few things left to do, like fix inactive window resources, slim down the progress bars (thanks to SST and his modified Extras.rsrc for the clues. I'll use my own assets with proper masks and transparency, thank you, so no need for you to worry), text box shaping, and other very minor things, and this thing will be done as best as it can be.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.