Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Again, again and again: If the 2020 M1 Air also had one SSD, there would be no argument. But that isn't the case with the M2 - it's a, by Apple, NOT mentioned regression and a (outside the US significantly!) higher price.
Again again and again Apple never disclosed the SSD speeds. The same way I only get 5GB/ s on my Mac studio and not 7 since I don’t have the 8 TB model.

I really want to understand this massive outrage like your entire business will shut down due to this. Is the base model for Pete’s sake. You won’t be doing 8k video editing on it.

Reactions: Tagbert

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Again again and again Apple never disclosed the SSD speeds. The same way I only get 5GB/ s on my Mac studio and not 7 since I don’t have the 8 TB model.

I really want to understand this massive outrage like your entire business will shut down due to this. Is the base model for Pete’s sake. You won’t be doing 8k video editing on it.

you dont have to be doing 8k video editing to notice a difference it seems. thats a disingenuous take imo.

the argument isnt the same either, its 2020 256gb vs 2022 256gb same product line and its successor. when else has that been done?

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
you dont have to be doing 8k video editing to notice a difference it seems. thats a disingenuous take imo.

the argument isnt the same either, its 2020 256gb vs 2022 256gb same product line and its successor. when else has that been done?
I’m sitting here with a system with SATA SSDs and I do just fine with 500MB/s speeds with heavy video editing. But I also don’t cheap out with 8GB of RAM and rely on swap performance.

It’s not like every single workflow was impossible before NVME SSDs.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I’m sitting here with a system with SATA SSDs and I do just fine with 500MB/s speeds with heavy video editing. But I also don’t cheap out with 8GB of RAM and rely on swap performance.

That's fine, what does your SATA SSD have to do with the situation?

Because your machine from 10 years ago that you paid for 10 years ago runs the same applications as today we can throw everything else out the window in this discussion?

• Love
Reactions: Menneisyys2

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
That's fine, what does your SATA SSD have to do with the situation?

Because your machine from 10 years ago that you paid for 10 years ago runs the same applications as today we can throw everything else out the window in this discussion?
Because the entire argument is now this SSD is “slow” yet it’s still three times faster than SATA SSDs.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Because the entire argument is now this SSD is “slow” yet it’s still three times faster than SATA SSDs.

And SATA SSD's are slow by modern standards. 2022 is slow by 2020 standards.

I would not pay for a SATA SSD laptop in 2022. If I already had one, it wouldn't spontaneously burst because its SATA - if that's what you're saying, sure.

• Love

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
And SATA SSD's are slow by modern standards. 2022 is slow by 2020 standards.

I would not pay for a SATA SSD laptop in 2022. If I already had one, it wouldn't spontaneously burst because its SATA - if that's what you're saying, sure.
And that is the issue. Sata SSDs are not slow. General use it provides no less performance over my 5GB/s drive in the Mac studio. Most people here are spec chasers and to Rene’s point, want to have benchmark graphs better than before. Yet the intended audience of this BASE System are web browsers and office. That’s all. My parents don’t care. My parents are fine with SATA SSDs. One of their systems still uses sata drives. We are not the intended audience of this product. I would never buy the base air due to this.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
And that is the issue. Most people here are spec chasers and to Rene’s point, want to have benchmark graphs better than before. Yet the intended audience of this BASE System are web browsers and office. That’s all. My parents don’t care. My parents are fine with SATA SSDs. One of their systems still uses sata drives. We are not the intended audience of this product. I would never buy the base air due to this.
'Your parents' are part of the audience but not the whole audience.

Just like your use case is one perspective but not the only perspective.

Because SATA works for you, means every single person on the market for a laptop should just totally disregard SSD speeds especially when a cheaper and faster model is on the market at the same time

Why's that hard to grasp?

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
'Your parents' are part of the audience but not the whole audience.

Just like your use case is one perspective but not the only perspective.

Because SATA works for you, means every single person on the market for a laptop should just totally disregard SSD speeds especially when a cheaper and faster model is on the market at the same time

Why's that hard to grasp?
It’s fine being frustrated. But creating 18 videos on this OMG SLOW SSD? Creating several threads on this site about it? Why the MASSIVE OUTRAGE?

This is the base model. You should expect world records with it. The fact that even my $7,000 Mac Studio can’t get 7GB/s should be more frustrating news.

• Angry

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
It’s fine being frustrated. But creating 18 videos on this OMG SLOW SSD? Creating several threads on this site about it? Why the MASSIVE OUTRAGE?

This is the base model. You should expect world records with it. The fact that even my $6,000 Mac Studio can’t get 7GB/s should be more frustrating news.

I expect it to perform at least as well as a base M1 Air that costs less and is also sold along side that. yes.

Call me crazy!

Everything youre saying I didnt argue. you're arguing with yourself over things you think I've said that I haven't.

'you expect a Mac studio'
'I expect an m1 air equivalent'
'you expect to surpass my $6k machine'
'No, a $999 machine (and less with discounts at retailers since been out for a while)'

Done.

m1maverick

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2020
And that is the issue. Sata SSDs are not slow. General use it provides no less performance over my 5GB/s drive in the Mac studio. Most people here are spec chasers and to Rene’s point, want to have benchmark graphs better than before. Yet the intended audience of this BASE System are web browsers and office. That’s all. My parents don’t care. My parents are fine with SATA SSDs. One of their systems still uses sata drives. We are not the intended audience of this product. I would never buy the base air due to this.
Then perhaps the base model M2 shouldn't even exist. For these people the less expensive M1 model would do everything they need.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I expect it to perform at least as well as a base M1 Air that costs less and is also sold along side that. yes.

Call me crazy!

Everything youre saying I didnt argue. you're arguing with yourself over things you think I've said that I haven't.

'you expect a Mac studio'
'I expect an m1 air equivalent'
'you expect to surpass my $6k machine'
'No, a $999 machine (and less with discounts at retailers since been out for a while)'

Done.
It does! SSDs are t the only thing in a computer. I used one. It does feel more snappy even with the “horribly slow SSD” due to the faster cores and other improvements.

What specific workflow is KILLING YOUR PERFORMANCE? Swap? You need more RAM and stop relying on swap.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Then perhaps the base model M2 shouldn't even exist. For these people the less expensive M1 model would do everything they need.
M2 needs to exist to keep the architecture going. We don’t want 3 or 4 years between processors. M1 is going on two years old coming up. It’s time for a refresh. It is more snappy with the cores changes.

m1maverick

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2020
It does! SSDs are t the only thing in a computer. I used one. It does feel more snappy even with the “horribly slow SSD” due to the faster cores and other improvements.

What specific workflow is KILLING YOUR PERFORMANCE? Swap? You need more RAM and stop relying on swap.
So one can noticed a perceived "snappyness" based on a CPU with cores which are 10% faster but not for an SSD which is 50% slower?

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
So one can noticed a perceived "snappyness" based on a CPU with cores which are 10% faster but not for an SSD which is 50% slower?
I’m really trying to understand HOW it’s this impactful for all these YouTube and threads. As someone that has an old i7 (making it an older motherboard so SATA is all I can do), 32GB RAM and a 2080 Super that does heavy video and photoshop work gets by with 500MB/s speeds but people with 8GB of RAM can’t work with 1.5GB/s. What is the workflow? I tried I can’t even run my workflow in my M1 Mac mini with 16GB of RAM due to red memory pressure.

madebybela

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2020
Montebello, CA
I looked at Rene's twitter awhile back and all he seems concerned with is gaming the YouTube algorithm and other "Creator Economy" bullsh*t. So I dont expect anything genuine out of him ever.

m1maverick

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2020
I’m really trying to understand HOW it’s this impactful for all these YouTube and threads. As someone that has an old i7 (making it an older motherboard so SATA is all I can do), 32GB RAM and a 2080 Super that does heavy video and photoshop work gets by with 500MB/s speeds but people with 8GB of RAM can’t work with 1.5GB/s. What is the workflow? I tried I can’t even run my workflow in my M1 Mac mini with 16GB of RAM due to red memory pressure.
You didn't answer my question.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
You didn't answer my question.
How is that a valid question? I don’t think just launching Safari will benefit going from 1.5GB/s to 3…. Safari is not that big. BUT the faster clocks DO make launching safari faster compared to even my M1 Ultra.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
100% agree. And his are hardly the worst. To me those hysterical thumbnails with three scary typefaces and flames/explosions/skulls-and-crossbones, etc. are just a sign that the channel is probably not serious, and I can safely move along without even watching.
I could be wrong, but I feel like once you start generating serious ad revenue for YouTube with millions of views and hundreds of thousands of subscribers you have a more direct line of communication with them (like a YouTube contact) and they suggest these eye-catching but obnoxious looking thumbnails. 80-90% of them all look this way.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

m1maverick

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2020
How is that a valid question? I don’t think just launching Safari will benefit going from 1.5GB/s to 3…. Safari is not that big. BUT the faster clocks DO make launching safari faster compared to even my M1 Ultra.
Nor will launching Safari benefit from a processor that has cores that are 10% faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.