Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Asiatic Black Hebrew

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2022
...and it was the best decision I've ever made. I had been wanting to downsize from the Pro Max for awhile now, mainly due to the phone just feeling like a brick in my pocket & being virtually impossible for one handed use. I had also realized that the pro features (bigger battery, 120hz screen, camera) were no longer really important to me & didn't seem worth the unwieldy size trade-off. I think my use has changed over the past year or so. I realized that I've started to value portability & ease of use, over many of the fancier features.

I was originally planning on just waiting & picking up the regular 15 Pro. However, once I started doing research on the Mini, I thought it sounded like a perfect fit. It's odd because I had never even considered the phone before last week. I always just wrote it off due to it's size, not realizing that it's the phones greatest strength. Even with the trade-offs of the phone being 60hz (which is negligible after a day or two) & a smaller battery, I haven't had any regrets so far. This phone is simply a joy to use & I honestly don't ever see myself getting another Pro Max phone. And call me crazy, but I actually prefer the 13 notch over the Dynamic Island, just personal preference I guess. It's also nice having a physical SIM again. I'm not a fan of ESIM at all.

I write this because I see a lot of people complaining about the size & weight of the Pros. You guys should seriously consider checking out the Mini if you haven't. You may be surprised to find that some of the Pro features aren't really as necessary as you might think. The rumor is that Apple will pull the 13 Mini from the shelves after the 15 releases, so time may be limited. I will now be swapping between the Mini & my Galaxy Fold 5, when I need a big screen. I truly feel as I have the best of both worlds now.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Mini’s greatest weakness is its battery, IMO. I am also making more errors while speed-typing on its small keyboard. My 12 mini will be turning 3 years this December (with its original battery) and it does need regular top-ups, even though I am not a heavy user. My ideal next iPhone would be something 5.8” based, but since Apple have seemingly gave up on that, I might as well get a regular 15, as I do not feel that switching from 12 mini to 13 mini will be worth it. Dynamic Island, USB-C, more precise GPS tracking, Satellite SOS, all powered by an A16 chip, sound like good enough improvements.

Asiatic Black Hebrew

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2022
Mini’s greatest weakness is its battery, IMO. I am also making more errors while speed-typing on its small keyboard. My 12 mini will be turning 3 years this December (with its original battery) and it does need regular top-ups, even though I am not a heavy user. My ideal next iPhone would be something 5.8” based, but since Apple have seemingly gave up on that, I might as well get a regular 15, as I do not feel that switching from 12 mini to 13 mini will be worth it. Dynamic Island, USB-C, more precise GPS tracking, Satellite SOS, all powered by an A16 chip, sound like good enough improvements.
I've never used the 12, but the battery on the 13 seems like enough to get me through a day so far. Obviously, it's a new phone, so we'll see how that holds up over time. No complaints so far though. However, I regularly top my phones up while driving throughout the day anyway, so I should be fine there. I also exclusively use Swipe for texting, so I have had absolutely no problems so far. If anything, my texting speed has actually improved since getting the Mini, due to being able to comfortably use it one-handed. Again, this is all dependent on specific use cases.

In your case, the 15 would probably be a great choice, since you desire a larger screen. For me, coming from the Pro Max screen, I was in the exact opposite situation. Luckily, there is no bad iPhone. So I'm sure you will be satisfied no matter which model you choose to go with.

Carlsberg69

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2023
Always interesting to hear about big switches like this, congrats to you for finding a better phone for your changed user case! I’ve done the opposite change, went from 12/13 mini, to 13 and now 14PM over a course of 3 years, because my user case gradually changed. I became more and more a heavy user, primarily demanding more screen and battery! The mini didn’t meet up with my demands, especially when travelling and on the go, even if I loved it to bits due to its size and lightness! 5 months with the 14PM and still love it for how it delivers on my needs, and the size haven’t bothered my so much to be honest. I would love to go back to a smaller phone when my user case changes in the future, and I’m sad to see the mini go from the lineup… it’s brilliant in its own way. End of the day it’s about user cases and needs, just like you guys before me said so we’ll, and everyone would like a mini if it could do what the PM can, wouldn’t they? 😉

Last edited:

Asiatic Black Hebrew

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2022
Always interesting to hear about big switches like this, congrats to you for finding a better phone for your changed user case! I’ve done the opposite change, went from 12 mini, to 13 and now 14PM over a course of 3 years, because my user case gradually changed. I became more and more a heavy user, primarily demanding more screen and battery! The mini didn’t meet up with my demands, especially when travelling and on the go, even if I loved it to bits due to its size and lightness! 5 months with the 14PM and still love it for how it delivers on my needs, and the size haven’t bothered my so much to be honest. I would love to go back to a smaller phone when my user case changes in the future, and I’m sad to see the mini go from the lineup… it’s brilliant in its own way. End of the day it’s about user cases and needs, just like you guys before me said so we’ll, and everyone would like a mini if it could do what the PM can, wouldn’t they? 😉
I agree. Understanding your personal use case is paramount. I would never claim any iPhone model to be better than another in totality, because I understand everyone has different needs. The Pro Max is still an amazing device. I still have a 13 Pro Max at home as well, if I ever get that itch again in the future. But for now, the Mini is king.

Even though I'm getting on just fine with the regular version, if Apple ever decided to release a Pro version of the Mini, I would be the first person in line to pick that up. However, I doubt that will ever happen, sadly.

Carlsberg69

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2023
I agree. Understanding your personal use case is paramount. I would never claim any iPhone model to be better than another in totality, because I understand everyone has different needs. The Pro Max is still an amazing device. I still have a 13 Pro Max at home as well, if I ever get that itch again in the future. But for now, the Mini is king.

Even though I'm getting on just fine with the regular version, if Apple ever decided to release a Pro version of the Mini, I would be the first person in line to pick that up. However, I doubt that will ever happen, sadly.
Exactly this, the key is to match the two! Oh a mini pro, I would stand there too first in line!! 😀

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
I went to a 13 mini after having a 13 Pro for about seven months. I was iffy on the weight and size of the Pro at first and only felt worse about it as time went on, but the return window was long over. I sold the Pro, lost a few hundred dollars on it, but it was worth it.

If Apple doesn't release another phone this size, I can see myself getting a couple of battery replacements for my 13 mini and keeping it for as long as the software supports it.

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts
I sold my 14 Pro, then got a 13 mini but settled on a rare to find brand new 11 Pro. Perfect in hand feel, nice size and not actually missing anything so far from the newer devices.
I use my phones without cases most of the time and the 11 Pro was the most comfortable by far. The 12 and up models are beautiful to look at, not so much to hold with the sharp edges.

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
I did it from a 13 max to a 12 mini, was a good choice financially as the mini was dead cheap and got good money for my 13 max, then a too good to knock back 14 pro came my way so have been using it for 6 months.
I don't buy on release at full price anymore, too many bargains to be had if you wait 3-6 months.

Reactions: klasma and arkitect

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
...and it was the best decision I've ever made. I had been wanting to downsize from the Pro Max for awhile now, mainly due to the phone just feeling like a brick in my pocket & being virtually impossible for one handed use. I had also realized that the pro features (bigger battery, 120hz screen, camera) were no longer really important to me & didn't seem worth the unwieldy size trade-off. I think my use has changed over the past year or so. I realized that I've started to value portability & ease of use, over many of the fancier features.

I was originally planning on just waiting & picking up the regular 15 Pro. However, once I started doing research on the Mini, I thought it sounded like a perfect fit. It's odd because I had never even considered the phone before last week. I always just wrote it off due to it's size, not realizing that it's the phones greatest strength. Even with the trade-offs of the phone being 60hz (which is negligible after a day or two) & a smaller battery, I haven't had any regrets so far. This phone is simply a joy to use & I honestly don't ever see myself getting another Pro Max phone. And call me crazy, but I actually prefer the 13 notch over the Dynamic Island, just personal preference I guess. It's also nice having a physical SIM again. I'm not a fan of ESIM at all.

I write this because I see a lot of people complaining about the size & weight of the Pros. You guys should seriously consider checking out the Mini if you haven't. You may be surprised to find that some of the Pro features aren't really as necessary as you might think. The rumor is that Apple will pull the 13 Mini from the shelves after the 15 releases, so time may be limited. I will now be swapping between the Mini & my Galaxy Fold 5, when I need a big screen. I truly feel as I have the best of both worlds now.
It all depends on one's use case and preferences. Nothing is perfect.

wingennis

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2016
Northern Arizona
I started with a 13 mini, upgraded to 14 Pro Max for the battery, tried to manage the weight and size while missing my mini every day for the better part of a year and gave up. Went back to 13 mini. Love it. Trade-offs are acceptable for me. I have a battery pack for emergencies now so I feel a little better about the battery life.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Recently went from 14 Pro Max to an 11 (not pro model) and I’m quite content. Trade in credit seems to still be coming in, and my bill is $40 lower from my previous bills since upgrading.

Would like to try the mini, but I’m afraid it might be too small for me. These older phones feel like they may be relevant for a while yet

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I started with a 13 mini, upgraded to 14 Pro Max for the battery, tried to manage the weight and size while missing my mini every day for the better part of a year and gave up. Went back to 13 mini. Love it. Trade-offs are acceptable for me. I have a battery pack for emergencies now so I feel a little better about the battery life.

I am just curious why jump between two opposite extremes - a mini and a Pro Max? Obviously the contrast between the two (size and weight) will be huge. If mini’s small battery was your main concern, why not try a regular 13-14-15?

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Reactions: tunastink

oink_oink

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2022
Smart move--one I'm contemplating myself! I was just marveling at how svelte and sleek my old XS Max is compared to my current14 Pro Max, with its ugly camera bump.

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
I am just curious why jump between two opposite extremes - a mini and a Pro Max? Obviously the contrast between the two (size and weight) will be huge. If mini’s small battery was your main concern, why not try a regular 13-14-15?
I bought a regular 13 in June last year, but thought it was too big (came from an SE 1st gen) and bought a 13 mini instead. Even this is a little too big. Don't know what to do the day the mini is obsolete.

aParkerMusic

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2021
I've never used the 12, but the battery on the 13 seems like enough to get me through a day so far. Obviously, it's a new phone, so we'll see how that holds up over time. No complaints so far though. However, I regularly top my phones up while driving throughout the day anyway, so I should be fine there. I also exclusively use Swipe for texting, so I have had absolutely no problems so far. If anything, my texting speed has actually improved since getting the Mini, due to being able to comfortably use it one-handed. Again, this is all dependent on specific use cases.

In your case, the 15 would probably be a great choice, since you desire a larger screen. For me, coming from the Pro Max screen, I was in the exact opposite situation. Luckily, there is no bad iPhone. So I'm sure you will be satisfied no matter which model you choose to go with.
My 12 mini had noticeably worse battery life than my 13 mini (current phone). So, the previous poster‘s experience sounds 12 Mini related specifically. Of course, battery life will be shorter with a smaller phone because of a smaller battery, but there was something about the 12 mini that really made it stink.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.