Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flowstates

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2023
I truly envy everyone that is happy with a mini. And I honestly mean it. I use my phone a lot so even a Pro would never last me a full day, which is pretty annoying. So it’s basically only the battery why I choose a big phone. Otherwise I would love to have a cute little mini!

That's the crux of the matter I feel, I truly loathe "thumb computing", therefore the phone is only used for 2FA, calls, payment and the odd text.

Therefore the size of the device being minimal is truly appreciated and the drawbacks are none since my main device is another.

But I do believe that we exist as a minority and a minimally revenue generating minority that is ... most important in the apple's eyes.

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
That's the crux of the matter I feel, I truly loathe "thumb computing", therefore the phone is only used for 2FA, calls, payment and the odd text.

Therefore the size of the device being minimal is truly appreciated and the drawbacks are none since my main device is another.

But I do believe that we exist as a minority and a minimally revenue generating minority that is ... most important in the apple's eyes.
I also loathe "thumb computing" and always feel like I can type faster on a real keyboard over glass, no matter whatever crutches, like QuickPath, that they make available.

That being said, I also suspect the real problem is the inflated prices of smartphones. A lot of people are choosing large, unwieldy Pro Max phones because of the high price of these electronics nowadays. They can afford to get one "jack of all trades, master of none" phablet, especially with carriers throwing $800+ promotions around, but can't justify or afford to have a laptop or tablet for other computing tasks. Thus, Apple and the carriers continue perpetuating this money-printing machine, pumping out new devices with ever-increasing MSRP prices, and carriers continue extending promotions so that in order to receive the total promotion you are bound to keep paying said carrier for one of their expensive premium plans for 24 30 36 months.

Those of us who compute the "old fashioned" way, with a laptop for typing, word processing, and longer form tasks; then only use a smartphone for quick, on-the-go tasks are likely a minority nowadays. Personally, I don't understand the value in a 6.7" screen versus a 6.1" or 5.4" on a phone. They're all small screens for extended use. To me, the value in the smartphone is its portable size and comfortable weight. I check notifications, tap out a message, or take a call; then put it away. If I'm watching a TV show or movie, I'm doing that with a TV (or a tablet if I'm traveling). If I'm paying bills, I'm doing that on a laptop.

newb-sasquatch

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Alabama
Great thread so far everyone. I am actually contemplating going back to the phablet world from the 12 mini. Prior to the 12 mini I had a XS Max and before that the now infamous 6plus. I like the 12 mini's form factor when I'm not using the phone. It's small size makes it easy to slip into a pocket and doesn't feel bulky when walking around with. My frustrations with it though are typing messages on it and consuming media on the smaller screen once I get to where I am going. The typing issue is actually what bothers me the most. I constantly have typos in emails and texts due to the smaller keyboard. Like others have mentioned, the battery life has started to become an issue now two being a three year old phone. I am now considering either going to the 15PM or 15+. Like someone mentioned earlier, my use case has changed over the past 3-4 years. I would rather deal with the uncomfortable size transporting a larger phone in order to have a larger screen to type and consume media. The Mini is still a great phone with a form factor that feels amazing in your hand. Hopefully Apple brings it back in some way down the road.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
I love my 13 mini, also sold my 13PM for it.

Only downside was Asphalt 9 killed the battery way to fast. I ended up selling it for an iPad 6 mini LTE. Used my Xiaomi 12t amd Samsung S23.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.