Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
My roommate's 13 pro feels gargantuan now.
Reality is perception which is defined by what came before or after you did something. When I had an 11 Pro Max, my GF then iPhone 5 looked like a toy. Now that I have a 13mini 6+ inch phones look like iPad Minis to me.

Although I love the mini I am fortunate to own an iPad as well. If I couldn't afford a tablet, I would own a big phone like many other people.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
If you have a personnal space where you remain static for more than 45 minutes during the day, getting a magsafe puck there will eliminate the worry, it has become automatic to drop it on there and I do not have to be cognescent of this aspect.
Yeah, I am aware that I can recharge my phone. That also works with a normal cable and a decent charger. No need to blow $40 there.

Anyway, it's all good if you're sitting still for a while (as most days) but on a day when you're out and about a ton it's another thing to think about and a weak point on the Mini.

Flowstates

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2023
Reality is perception which is defined by what came before or after you did something. When I had an 11 Pro Max, my GF then iPhone 5 looked like a toy. Now that I have a 13mini 6+ inch phones look like iPad Minis to me.

Although I love the mini I am fortunate to own an iPad as well. If I couldn't afford a tablet, I would own a big phone like many other people.

Perception really is Reality =)

Switching to the mini had the really weird effect of making me access my other devices through the metric of Utility/Weight-Surface.

My iPads are currently for sale as I gave up on wrangling with the OS and my desktop setup has seen useage drop as the freedom afforded by fewer and smaller devices made me more mobile.

The switch really was liberating.

Flowstates

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2023
Yeah, I am aware that I can recharge my phone. That also works with a normal cable and a decent charger. No need to blow $40 there.

Anyway, it's all good if you're sitting still for a while (as most days) but on a day when you're out and about a ton it's another thing to think about and a weak point on the Mini.

I did not mean to be pedantic. But for someone with some attention issues, not having to be cognescent of the plugging in deleted a hurdle to accomplishing the task.

40$ is outreageous, you can find some off-brand replacements for cents on the dollar compared to apple's offering.

But yes, my powerbank starts to justify itself again after some pandemic idleness.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Mini’s greatest weakness is its battery, IMO. I am also making more errors while speed-typing on its small keyboard. My 12 mini will be turning 3 years this December (with its original battery) and it does need regular top-ups, even though I am not a heavy user. My ideal next iPhone would be something 5.8” based, but since Apple have seemingly gave up on that, I might as well get a regular 15, as I do not feel that switching from 12 mini to 13 mini will be worth it. Dynamic Island, USB-C, more precise GPS tracking, Satellite SOS, all powered by an A16 chip, sound like good enough improvements.
I did find going from the 12 to the 13 showed a lot of improvements to the battery, and speed of the device. The smaller notch wasn't a bad thing either. If they had a 15 Mini, I'd definitely be getting that this year. I may get the Pro but its so hard to part with the Mini.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I did not mean to be pedantic. But for someone with some attention issues, not having to be cognescent of the plugging in deleted a hurdle to accomplishing the task.
When I'm at work, I just lay my phone down on a plain old Qi charger I bought off Amazon for like $15. It's not very fast but it doesn't have to be since I'll be there for many hours. When I'm in a hurry, I have a little 30 watt Anker charger and lightning cable I carry around. The upside of the tiny battery in the Mini is that it also charges back up very very quickly.

To me, the MagSafe thing is actually a bit more work than the non-magnetic charger since it has to be pried off each time. At that point I'd just as soon use a cable, myself, or my basic wireless non-magnetic charger. The one big exception to this is in the car, where a magnetic connection lets the phone mount charge and hold the phone simultaneously. It's really a great solution for that use case.

Reactions: Flowstates

Flowstates

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2023
When I'm at work, I just lay my phone down on a plain old Qi charger I bought off Amazon for like $15. It's not very fast but it doesn't have to be since I'll be there for many hours. When I'm in a hurry, I have a little 30 watt Anker charger and lightning cable I carry around. The upside of the tiny battery in the Mini is that it also charges back up very very quickly.

To me, the MagSafe thing is actually a bit more work than the non-magnetic charger since it has to be pried off each time. At that point I'd just as soon use a cable, myself, or my basic wireless non-magnetic charger. The one big exception to this is in the car, where a magnetic connection lets the phone mount charge and hold the phone simultaneously. It's really a great solution for that use case.

I'm a philistine for using double sided-tape to fasten it to a fixed spot on the desk.

Very valid points you raised nontheless.

• Haha
Reactions: ignatius345

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I did find going from the 12 to the 13 showed a lot of improvements to the battery, and speed of the device. The smaller notch wasn't a bad thing either. If they had a 15 Mini, I'd definitely be getting that this year. I may get the Pro but its so hard to part with the Mini.

If Apple do upgrade mini, which is quite unlikely, I would consider getting it too. 👍

However, if I were going larger, I would not go for a Pro, which would be heavier than a regular 15, so also way heavier than mini.

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
Glad you found a phone that you really like! I went from a 13 Pro to a 14 Pro Max and I’m super glad I did. I’m out of my skinny jeans phase and into my big pocket phase so it fits fine in my pocket and I’ve learned to type one-handed when needed, though I prefer two hands when I can. The extra screen real estate has been excellent for me. I hope to keep this phone for years.

Asiatic Black Hebrew

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2022
I would ditch my 14 Pro for a Mini any day if it just had Pro Motion. I simply cannot go back to 60Hz so I’m “stuck” with my 14 Pro until now…
This was actually the one thing that I thought was going to bother me as well, but surprisingly I haven't really noticed it much. After a few short days, the screen just seems normal to me. I do understand that some are hypersensitive to it though. I think I would notice it way more on my Galaxy Fold than I do on the Mini. Overall, I think it's trade-off I can live with, although I definitely understand where you're coming from.

Welcome to the 13 Mini club. I recommend buying a power bank for use when you will be travelling or out of the home for 6-8 hours.

The battery does drain quickly with heavy usage. However, it's one of the reasons why the phone is great: You cannot be glued to its screen all day but need to put it down.

:D
Thanks. I'm definitely loving it so far. I don't require an exorbitant amount of screen on time each day, so I think I'll be fine there. I also have a MagSafe battery (if needed) & regularly charge my phone while driving, so battery life is not a big concern for me at all. The phone gets charged nightly as well.

There are so many convenient ways to quickly charge phones nowadays, I don't really understand why people feel like it's a chore to do it. People still talk about having to charge their phone as if it's manual labor. I used to regularly top up my Pro Max as well, even though it was never really necessary. I guess that's just the way I am.

HipHopAnonymous

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2023
I went a similar route and switched from an iPhone 8 Plus to an iPhone 12 mini. The novelty faded as quickly as its battery did. I then moved to the other end of the spectrum (again) and I currently use the iPhone 14 Pro Max, which I prefer over the mini.

I'm also quietly keeping an eye on new OnePlus developments.

powerbook911

macrumors 601
Mar 15, 2005
I have a mini I use in bed and sometimes traveling. I LOVE it.

However, my main daily phone is a Pro Max.

I want both, and I'm sad the mini is going away. I may pick up an extra 13 mini in case something ever happens to the one I have.

robo-robot

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2023
Had to chime in on this one. I always went with the Max model for years and finally got sick of carrying it. So I got the 13 mini and did enjoy it, but the battery wasn’t enough for my usage. So I picked up the 13 Pro on eBay and am really happy with the size. It’s big enough to be big but small enough to not be so unwieldy. Looking forward to the 15 Pro.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Wow that’s quite the extreme! 😜 I went from the 14PM to a 14 pro (killer Costco deal of $900 includes apples care for two years). And have had it for a month. Thought I would just go to the 15PM but honestly REALLY enjoying the smaller size. The max was just awkward IMO!

Sebalto

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2023
I never understood how Apple purposefully hamstrung the Mini and then acted surprised when the sales numbers were bad and tried to blame the screen size 🙄 Give us a 15 Pro Mini, Apple.
How was the mini "hamstrung"? It had the same specs as the 13 which sold very well. The majority of people want larger phones and the sales figures bore this out.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
How was the mini "hamstrung"? It had the same specs as the 13 which sold very well. The majority of people want larger phones and the sales figures bore this out.

Exactly, a larger battery and screen swayed most people towards 6.1” models. Nowadays, 6.1” screens have become a “new small”. 😉

Just one of the numerous articles to prove this trend:

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
LEt's all thank big Tim Cock for cancelling the mini, and instead giving us that piece of crap iphone 14 that even thieves don't want to steal.

In a world where phone market became extremely saturated, where profits and sell numbers are basically freefalling, Apple decided to cancel the only product that differentiated them from the competition. #BestCEO #4MoreYears4MoreYears

DougiePhresh

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
Wouldn't those upgrades cause it to consume more power, though? I'm not sure how the inside of the phone is laid out, but I also wonder if a 3-lens camera module would take up more space inside and make the Mini's battery even smaller.

I'm very happy with my 13 Mini with the exception of the battery life. There are mornings I'll use it for 45 minutes on my commute and find it's down to 85% battery when I get off the train. I've become a compulsive charger as a result, but if I tried to get through a whole day of medium use I suspect my battery would be toast by 6pm most of the time. Obviously this is all super variable depending on use, but it's always a concern for me.
I also am not entirely sure, so maybe the triple camera setup would take up more space, internally? Though, externally, it takes up the same real estate as the dual camera set up. Presumably … the ProMotion variable refresh rate screen would actually save power? I am not sure if an extra GPU core would have a martial impact on battery life?

DougiePhresh

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
Because they never released a Pro version. Do most people want larger phones? Or do most people want higher-spec phones? We don’t know, because Apple only gave the Mini the lower-tier specs

Sebalto

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2023
Because they never released a Pro version. Do most people want larger phones? Or do most people want higher-spec phones? We don’t know, because Apple only gave the Mini the lower-tier specs
We do know, simply by looking at the sales figures for the normal size phone. The mini was outsold by a factor of 12 meaning that the overwhelming majority of people were happy with the spec but wanted the larger device.

For the theory that people merely want higher spec phones to be true then the sales of the normal size unit would've been equally as low as the mini.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth

Apple actually performed a tech miracle putting everything from iPhone 12 and 13 (6.1”) into much smaller chassis (5.4”) at the expense of smaller battery and worse heat management as it was. Where would you put that third camera? Give people even smaller battery to complain about?

Kudos to Apple for what they managed to make and simply a pity that more people did not appreciate (buy) into it.

It is as simple as that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.