Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Thank you.

People on this forum forget they're probably not the norm. My dad gets 2 days from his 5c - he's very light user, but I imagine there are more him then there are of 'us' on this forum. I get about 12 hours from my 5s. But I have an office job and I have a dock on my desk.

If battery was a real issue I'd get a battery pack case or one of them portable batteries. And I'd even look at other handsets.

Apple has offered 1 new phone a year. This is their trade-off. If it doesn't fit anyone's use case they need to look reduce the issue or take their business elsewhere.

Your estimates are on the next iPhone are interesting.

Anandtech shows the 'tiny' battery in the 5s competes quite well against the 3000 mAh Android flagships.

More details here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7903/samsung-galaxy-s-5-review/5

I think a bump from the current 1,560 mAh to 1,810 mAh would put he iPhone close to par with those flagships and 2,100 mAh would exceed them.

I guess we'll know for sure when the thing is released.
We will see how it goes having to power a much bigger screen. In all of the tests and graphs you show......the iphone has the smallest screen of those tested. We will see if a larger screen with a larger battery will still remain current or is it supposed to be better somehow? All things being equal......larger screen larger battery.........battery performance would seem to remain the same.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
If you charge a larger battery for the same 30 minutes that you charge a smaller battery, you will get the same amount of battery life into that battery.

Actually, you would get a teeny weeny bit more juice into the larger battery, since the smaller battery will charge slower the fuller it gets.

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
This is just plain nonsense. Any iPhone could have been the thickness of a credit card if Apple had wanted it to be. Thickness is just another feature/design aspect along with everything else, and like so many other aspects on a phone, it depends on a myriad of things.
Keep dreaming. I'm glad you're a brilliant engineer, and can make things thinner with your mind. Oh wait.

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
Now that's wasting money but your the type of person these Companies love! I like to see my bank accounts and investments grow! Now that's exciting!:cool:

Some of us have disposable income. I watch my accounts and my gadgets grow.

----------

Isn't it a bit silly to expect that, when the phone in question does not have a user replaceable battery?

Just because the battery isn't convenient to get to doesn't mean it is not replaceable. Doesn't take very long to swap the battery out or cost much to have someone do it. It's basic maintenance if you're going to keep a phone for that long you can expect to replace a part that is designed to wear out.

anomie

Suspended
Jun 29, 2010
technology evolves should everything stay the same thickness? they will continue to get smaller thats just what happens.

Does it really evolve when the battery life stays the same all the time?
It got even worse from ip 4 to 5.
Aping the past two years it was more the design that evolved.

anomie

Suspended
Jun 29, 2010
Seems like Apple is willing to do design over battery.

But still, I won't bother. The 5s already lasts my full day and with a little bigger battery it will be even better for me, personally.

Ok now we know you never do any sports or at least you never track your activities.
Apple better come up with a nice battery case at least.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Just because the battery isn't convenient to get to doesn't mean it is not replaceable. Doesn't take very long to swap the battery out or cost much to have someone do it. It's basic maintenance if you're going to keep a phone for that long you can expect to replace a part that is designed to wear out.

Does that not void the warranty? Doing it yourself, I mean?

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
Not much brilliance needed. Just drop the camera and battery and you're done.
Oh dear.

----------

I haven't read every comment in here, but I know every battery thread has a couple people literally saying something like 'why keep making it thinner?!? everyone just uses a thick clunky huge case anyway!! Har har har' hmm, well with any basic math skills I think one could come to the conclusion that if you add the thickness of the phone with the thickness of the case, you get a total thickness of their combined thicknesses! I know it's a tough concept to understand, but it just so happens if a phone were a mm thinner, then what you'd be holding in your hand with a case on it would also be that same mm thinner. So no, using a case doesn't change physics and reality.

mobutt

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
If it doesn't compare that's one thing I'll definitely miss from my OnePlus One. It easily gets me a day and a half with heavy usage.

ed1990

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2014
My i5 battery lasts me almost all day. My two best friends have androids. all I'm going to say is my phone is almost exactly 2 years old and I've seen my best friends/roommates have to carry droid chargers with them for the last 6 months if not longer. my battery doesn't last as long as it used too but android batteries die faster and that's a fact. not just drain faster but the don't hold a full charge for very long either.

I have no problem with this increase in the i6. I work at a desk for about 4 of the 9 hours in a day so I use a computer. on a Friday night by 2 AM I'm down to 20%. and I text all day, email and FB. so if you guys are mad because you play games and watch Netflix on yor phone for 10-15 hours a day you need a hobby or a better job.
That's because the screen on the iPhone is tiny not pushing tons of pixels. So of course it lasts. Lol

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010

"Oh dear" what? Well, you could keep the camera and make it stick out like on the iPod Touch, only more.

Like I said, none of the iPhones (or any phones, for that matter) have been "as thin as they could possibly be", since making a thinner version of them would indeed be trivial. Thickness, just as anything else, is a design consideration and always a trade-off for something else.

----------

I haven't read every comment in here, but I know every battery thread has a couple people literally saying something like 'why keep making it thinner?!? everyone just uses a thick clunky huge case anyway!! Har har har' hmm, well with any basic math skills I think one could come to the conclusion that if you add the thickness of the phone with the thickness of the case, you get a total thickness of their combined thicknesses! I know it's a tough concept to understand, but it just so happens if a phone were a mm thinner, then what you'd be holding in your hand with a case on it would also be that same mm thinner. So no, using a case doesn't change physics and reality.

And what benefit do you get from having the phone one mm thinner? What will that allow you to do that can't be done with a one mm thicker phone? I still haven't seen anyone answer this?

jasonbogen

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2006
so what is the point of diminishing returns? Do you see value in a paper thin phone? If so, where do you go from there? Seriously...I am normally on the pro Apple side of things, but this is one fixation they have that I just don't get.

So then why not just engineer it with a 2800 mAh battery and blow away the competition on a key feature? Amazingly, the one area where they could derive a measurable value, shrinking the unused bezel area, they still have a ton of white space in.

If you continue to shave off thickness, you go past the point of diminishing returns to where the phone actually isn't comfortable in your hand. I would imagine that point will be reached for some people with this model. I have never heard anyone complain that an iPhone is too thick. Even with the 4s my wife, kids and I have. I do however constantly hear complaints about battery life. I think it is an engineering pride thing with them more than any practical reason for making it thinner in lieu of blowing out the competition on battery life.

Maybe not paper thin. Poster board thin, perhaps, and rollable, so you could put it in your pocket.

And where to go from there? Wearable? A phone in your ring with a holographic display? Implantable? Interfaced directly to your brain? Often when you go as far as you can go with a particular form factor, a new form starts to emerge.

Someday soon we'll look around at the crazy, wacky, groovy, hep cat kids with their "phones" that we can't even see, and shake our heads the way our grandparents shook their head at us with our newfangled, totally unnecessary flip phones (because we were ushering in the end of the world as they knew it).

Ha ha...by "where do you go from there" I meant thickness from paper thin. I'm not saying they won't or couldn't come up with new form factors for a phone. I am talking about the thickness of this type of phone. To me a phone the thickness of cardboard would be horribly non-erogonomic and I think non-ergonomic starts well before you get that thin. I really question the value. Other than being able to roll up a phone into something easier to store which we are certainly nowhere near yet in the current thickness I just don't understand the value to the user. Certainly the value of a longer lasting battery is obvious. Particularly when they have improved the app development and quality and size of the screen so that people spend so much more time doing power intensive tasks on them.

Again, the point is you reach a point of diminishing returns on thinness where it just doesn't provide value to the user and even cross the threshold where making it less ergonomic actually causes a negative impact. All the engineering they have done to allow for thin light phones now allows them the space to include a battery that, along with the efficiency of the iOS ecosystem, would blow away the competition in a feature area that is one of the most important to users.

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
"Oh dear" what? Well, you could keep the camera and make it stick out like on the iPod Touch, only more.

Like I said, none of the iPhones (or any phones, for that matter) have been "as thin as they could possibly be", since making a thinner version of them would indeed be trivial. Thickness, just as anything else, is a design consideration and always a trade-off for something else.

----------

And what benefit do you get from having the phone one mm thinner? What will that allow you to do that can't be done with a one mm thicker phone? I still haven't seen anyone answer this?
If you think they can make it as thin as they want, you have problems.

What's the benefit of making it thinner? Well it's lighter for one thing, which is always beneficial, but it is also much easier to hold and use with one hand. I'll give you an exaggerated but easy to understand example: if you have an inch thick iPhone 6 and an iPhone 6 at it's 6-7mm thickness, which would be easier to hold and use, specifically with one hand? In holding a thicker device, you have less reach. Aside from all that it just looks a million times better.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
If you think they can make it as thin as they want, you have problems.

I don't "think". I know. For a fact. Having done that stuff myself for the best part of this millenium. You'll just have to compromise on other functionality. Like a battery and a camera.

What's the benefit of making it thinner? Well it's lighter for one thing, which is always beneficial, but it is also much easier to hold and use with one hand. I'll give you an exaggerated but easy to understand example: if you have an inch thick iPhone 6 and an iPhone 6 at it's 6-7mm thickness, which would be easier to hold and use, specifically with one hand? In holding a thicker device, you have less reach. Aside from all that it just looks a million times better.

How about a better example, a real world example: You have a 7 mm thick iPhone (the current one) vs. a 6 mm thick iPhone. What is the benefit of that, and what exactly can not be done with the current 7 mm thick phone that could be done with a new 6 mm thick one? Why is the current iPhone too thick, and if it is, why did you buy one to begin with since there are thinner phones out there?

jsnuff1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
NY
Let's see.. iPhone 5S. 1136 x 640 = 727,040. Galaxy S5-1920 x 1080 = 2,073,600. That's about 3 times the pixels.

Yea screen size dosent really determine the amount of power needed to run these smartphones.

The pixels on the screens actually use nearly zero power, so more pixels does not linearly translate to more power, the most power hungry screen component on the screen are the LED Backlights.

The reason android phones need 3k mA batters are because of the power hungry un-optimized quad core over clocked CPUs that are no where as efficient in running the android OS as A class processors are for iOS.

If this report is true and assuming the A8 is built using a smaller fab process any increase in power from the larger iPhone 6 screen while be more than negated by the lower power consumption of the A8 compared to the A7. So if the battery is really 2100mA (which is 26% larger than iPhone 5S) than we could easily see a 30% increase in battery life.

So 7-8 hours typical usage on 5S could translate to 9-10 hours on the 6 and we might finally see true all day battery life on the iPhone finally!

MyDataMyProbs

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2014
I don;t know how old you are, or what your memories are of mobile phones.

But I would not in a million years call a phone that needs to be realistically charged up every single day as having GREAT battery performance.

A week would be Superb.
A month Amazing
A year Stunning

A day is not Great, sorry.

well, seeing as you cant build a battery to last for than 5 minutes. i think you should not talk down to the design team of anyone else. I think the iPhone is an amazing product from the extremely thin screen all the way to the super fast-acting lightening cable. I think these things because i myself would never be able to make them.

Next time you think an amazing battery used heavily daily should last a month, take apart your phone and make it..

----------

Huh? I don't even remember Apple talking about battery life at the 5S event. :confused:

Yeah I'm sure the 6S or whatever it's called will have improved battery life over the 6. It's called progress, not artificially limiting a product so you can make the next generation look better.

i want to believe this..

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
I don't "think". I know. For a fact. Having done that stuff myself for the best part of this millenium. You'll just have to compromise on other functionality. Like a battery and a camera.

How about a better example, a real world example: You have a 7 mm thick iPhone (the current one) vs. a 6 mm thick iPhone. What is the benefit of that, and what exactly can not be done with the current 7 mm thick phone that could be done with a new 6 mm thick one? Why is the current iPhone too thick, and if it is, why did you buy one to begin with since there are thinner phones out there?

I don't know what you mean in your first statement, but you're delusional since it isn't possible. Anyway, the iPhone 5S is 7.6mm and thinner = easier to hold and use with one hand, not sure how else to tell you, you aren't getting it. Along with weight etc I already mentioned.

tuna9720

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008
battery life tops my priority list (besides the tech improvements of course). I'm just thinking if my iPhone 5's battery was still good, I wouldn't rush to buy iPhone 6.

According to my theory, Apple and the other companies know that, and they are not willing to give us a huge improvement on battery.. Otherwise I don't think a company can not find a solution to the short battery life. They can invest billions of dollars in a blink of an eye an I'm sure they can multiply today's batteries' lives by using a never used never heard technology.. Same thing for the laptops. My apple notebook does not get old but my battery does..

They like us the buy the new ones every 1 or 2 years (especially for the phones).. That's an untold and unspoken strategy I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.