Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What would (did) you do if your iPhone 11 Pro (Max) has the flickering issue?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

obargy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2016
🇨🇦
✅ Issue resolved in iOS 13.2

--------------------Original Post--------------------

Hi guys, I upgraded to iOS 13.1 this Tuesday on my pro max. It recently occurs to me that, when I use the Photos app (either scrolling through photos or watching a specific photo), I will get some kinds of pixel flickering between different screen brightness levels before it settles down for a specific one. I didn't notice it before in iOS 13.0

For example, take a HDR photo. If I show it in Photos app and take my pro max close to a lamp so that it try to boost up the screen brightness, it might start to flicker near like 70% to 80% brightness levels, then stabilize after reaching a higher level.

I think this problem might be related to the option of "View Full HDR" in Photos app (option in Settings). As Apple advertised, the pro max's screen could reach 1200 nits max brightness when viewing HDR medias. And for now it seems that the transition between brightness levels is not smooth enough so that it looks like a hardware issue. When I opt out the "View Full HDR", no issue occurs.

Somebody else has also mentioned this in another thread:

Just want to know if you guys are experiencing the same problem. Hope it's not a hardware failure.

To reproduce the flickering, it's necessary to have several elements:
  1. In Photos app viewing HDR content or watching HDR videos in other apps
  2. True Tone and Night Shift turned on
  3. View Full HDR in Settings/Photos turned on
  4. Screen brightness is over half
  5. Ambient light changing and the iPhone itself trying to boost the screen luminosity (to maximum)
Most people use their iPhone in a relatively low light at night, that's why it's hard to notice/reproduce.

For the point 5, try walking from a dark room to a light one, or just move your iPhone from dark area to a lit desk lamp.

------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Reactions: rgyiv

Macmelman

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2017
Hi guys, I upgraded to iOS 13.1 this Tuesday on my pro max. It recently occurs to me that, when I use the Photos app (either scrolling through photos or watching a specific photo), I will get some kinds of pixel flickering between different screen brightness levels before it settles down for a specific one. I didn't notice it before in iOS 13.0

For example, take a picture with HDR here (down below). If I show it in Photos app and take my pro max close to a lamp so that it try to boost up the screen brightness, it might start to flicker near like 70% to 80% brightness levels, then stabilize after reaching a higher level.

I think this problem might be related to the option of "View Full HDR" in Photos app (option in Settings). As Apple advertised, the pro max's screen could reach 1200 nits max brightness when viewing HDR medias. And for now it seems that the transition between brightness levels is not smooth enough so that it looks like a hardware issue. When I opt out the "View Full HDR", no issue occurs.

Somebody else has also mentioned this in another thread:

Just want to know if you guys are experiencing the same problem. Hope it's not a hardware failure.

View attachment 864086

If that was a general problem, we would know already. I would go to an Apple store right away if I had that issue.

lsatterfield

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2014
My 11 Pro flickers in Photos app when swapping between photos when I have TrueTone on. When it’s off, it doesn’t flicker. When it’s on, it flickers like a wind blown candle and then settles down.

obargy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2016
🇨🇦
My 11 Pro flickers in Photos app when swapping between photos when I have TrueTone on. When it’s off, it doesn’t flicker. When it’s on, it flickers like a wind blown candle and then settles down.

Do you think it’s a hardware issue or just software?
Another pro max with this issue:

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
I had it happen initially, but either an update (13.1) or me downloading the original photos instead of using the previews from iCloud fixed it.

• Wow
Reactions: obargy

obargy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2016
🇨🇦
Contacted an Apple Supervisor and restored the device via iTunes, the flicker issue turns out better now. (No more crazy flickering but still some perceivable luminosity change)

Still have to keep a close eye on this issue in the return window. :confused:

Grumpylicous

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2019
I just noticed this issue. I have 13.1.1 I’m not sure if it did it before this update. It happens in photos app the worst. I turned truetone night mode off and it still does the flickering but a little less than it did with those on.
Anyone heard of any fix for this?

M33-1

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
I had a ton of flickering on 13.1 in the photos app. I now have 13.1.1 and it is gone. I’ll keep an eye out for it to return.

Grumpylicous

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2019
Contacted an Apple Supervisor and restored the device via iTunes, the flicker issue turns out better now. (No more crazy flickering but still some perceivable luminosity change)

Still have to keep a close eye on this issue in the return window. :confused:
Yeah I just talked to Apple support and was told to restore to factory, test it then if it doesn't flicker, restore again with backup. I am believing its a true tone/13.1.1 issue so Im not sure what all this restoring will help it

obargy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2016
🇨🇦
Maybe we just need to wait for the next software update :( A temporary fix would be turning off the “View Full HDR” Option in Settings>Photos

Reactions: waquzy

Jseaber22

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2019
Same issue happening to me after 13.1 update flickers rapidly in brightness when coming from photos app rough transition. Perfect before update, also 13.1.1 didn’t fix it either. iPhone 11 pro max.

Steveyliu

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2019
My pro max is also having this problem. I just got new replacement. And it does the same things. However, my girlfriend’s pro max doesn’t have this issue. Her phone is running iOS 13.0. I am not sure if this is a hardware problem or software.

Steveyliu

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2019
My pro max is also having this problem. I just got new replacement. And it does the same things. However, my girlfriend’s pro max doesn’t have this issue. Her phone is running iOS 13.0. I am not sure if this is a hardware problem or software.
Just updated to 13.1.2 still have the problem.

Steveyliu

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2019
Seems like a software issue since your gf's one is ok at 13.0

I'm surprised by Apple's update quickness but they still haven't solved our problem :rolleyes:

Did you try the replaced one with 13.0?
No I didn’t try it with 13.0. Since I use iCloud backup to restore it requires to update. However I noticed there is a difference between mine and my girlfriend’s screen. My screen is brighter than hers with same settings.

• Wow

Steveyliu

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2019
Seems like a software issue since your gf's one is ok at 13.0

I'm surprised by Apple's update quickness but they still haven't solved our problem :rolleyes:

Did you try the replaced one with 13.0?
My girlfriend just updated her Pro max to iOS 13.1.2. No flickering.

Last edited:
  • Wow

masciam

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
I updated to 13.1.2 and the flickering is very noticeable when using the photos app at full brightness and also when watching HDR content. When I lower the brightness I can't notice it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.