Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What would (did) you do if your iPhone 11 Pro (Max) has the flickering issue?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fitgirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2013
Hello! Thanks for this post, I just created a new thread today with a similar problem, but more aimed at a dramatic real-time color/contrast shift while looking at pictures in the Photos app.

Here's my thread - https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...t-problems-in-a-camera-roll-pictures.2207792/

When I turn off the View Full HDR the pictures look just just fine. I have an iOS 13.2 now (in Beta) and it's still dramatically changing the pictures in the photo app. You can also see how the phone adjusts brightness at the same time it is happening. I hope they fix this soon in the next final updates!
Where do you turn off view fill HDR?
[automerge]1573525957[/automerge]

Fady Ibrahim

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2020
✅ Issue resolved in iOS 13.2

--------------------Original Post--------------------

Hi guys, I upgraded to iOS 13.1 this Tuesday on my pro max. It recently occurs to me that, when I use the Photos app (either scrolling through photos or watching a specific photo), I will get some kinds of pixel flickering between different screen brightness levels before it settles down for a specific one. I didn't notice it before in iOS 13.0

For example, take a HDR photo. If I show it in Photos app and take my pro max close to a lamp so that it try to boost up the screen brightness, it might start to flicker near like 70% to 80% brightness levels, then stabilize after reaching a higher level.

I think this problem might be related to the option of "View Full HDR" in Photos app (option in Settings). As Apple advertised, the pro max's screen could reach 1200 nits max brightness when viewing HDR medias. And for now it seems that the transition between brightness levels is not smooth enough so that it looks like a hardware issue. When I opt out the "View Full HDR", no issue occurs.

Somebody else has also mentioned this in another thread:

Just want to know if you guys are experiencing the same problem. Hope it's not a hardware failure.

To reproduce the flickering, it's necessary to have several elements:
  1. In Photos app viewing HDR content or watching HDR videos in other apps
  2. True Tone and Night Shift turned on
  3. View Full HDR in Settings/Photos turned on
  4. Screen brightness is over half
  5. Ambient light changing and the iPhone itself trying to boost the screen luminosity (to maximum)
Most people use their iPhone in a relatively low light at night, that's why it's hard to notice/reproduce.

For the point 5, try walking from a dark room to a light one, or just move your iPhone from dark area to a lit desk lamp.

------------------------------------------------
Hello man .. i have this issue on my 11 pro running ios 13.3 the current version .. and I reset the phone for resetting vactory and nothing changed .. and i call apple support they checked my phone hardware and everything is fine ... I don’t know this is a software issue or there’s a issue in the screen??!!

Fady Ibrahim

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2020
Contacted an Apple Supervisor and restored the device via iTunes, the flicker issue turns out better now. (No more crazy flickering but still some perceivable luminosity change)

Still have to keep a close eye on this issue in the return window. :confused:
What about this issue now man ??
[automerge]1578415416[/automerge]
Yeah I just talked to Apple support and was told to restore to factory, test it then if it doesn't flicker, restore again with backup. I am believing its a true tone/13.1.1 issue so Im not sure what all this restoring will help it
Does the restore with backup is useful??

obargy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2016
🇨🇦
Hello man .. i have this issue on my 11 pro running ios 13.3 the current version .. and I reset the phone for resetting vactory and nothing changed .. and i call apple support they checked my phone hardware and everything is fine ... I don’t know this is a software issue or there’s a issue in the screen??!!

Hey! It seems that the issue has been resolved from previous iOS updates (newer than iOS 13.2)。

I would suggest you to make a Genius Bar appointment to see what it's going on with your device. If it's still possible, just return it and get a new one.

Fady Ibrahim

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2020
Hey! It seems that the issue has been resolved from previous iOS updates (newer than iOS 13.2)。

I would suggest you to make a Genius Bar appointment to see what it's going on with your device. If it's still possible, just return it and get a new one.
Today I restore a phone via iTunes and still flickering and like you mentioned when I turned off view full HDR the flicker is gone .. Do You think this is a screen issue? Or wait another iOS update?? Thank you for reply

Last edited:

obargy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2016
🇨🇦
Today I restore a phone via iTunes and still flickering and like you mentioned when I turned off view full HDR the flicker is gone .. Do You think this is a screen issue? Or wait another iOS update?? Thank you for reply

At this point I think it's a hardware issue, if your firmware version is later than iOS 13.2.

Fady Ibrahim

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2020
At this point I think it's a hardware issue, if your firmware version is later than iOS 13.2.
Today I gone to my apple reseller provider and cheked th display units from 11 pro and found the photos flickering just like my phone and all this units running iOS 13.3 !!!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.