Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What would (did) you do if your iPhone 11 Pro (Max) has the flickering issue?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

brianmoon

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2019
I started noticing this today (iOS 13.1.2). Having read this thread, I’m more confident that this is a software issue rather than a hardware one which puts me at ease.

Nevermind.... I just saw the post above. (Patiently waits for an Apple recall)
[automerge]1570128423[/automerge]

Mine does it and my Serial starts with G6TZ

mine is F2LZ

Kirayaa

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2019
Hello all,

I bought it 2 days ago, iphone 11 pro and i have the screen flickering too.

software update waiting, lcd flickering problem?

MatoviyBob

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2019
I have an iPhone 11 Pro (not max) and I also have this problem, I noticed it after updating to iOS 13.1
(F17Z...)

brianmoon

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2019
apple just got back to me after elevating this issue to level 2 tech support. they asked me to try turning off auto-brightness (settings > accessibility > display and text size > auto-brightness) and see if this fixes the problem. i will try and let them know...

can you guys please try as well?

they seem to think it’s a software issue.

Voodoofreak

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2012
I’ve noticed similar symptoms in messages app (when sending / receiving messages). Was bugged out at first but am now going to check to see if the settings listed in this thread cause it.

obargy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2016
🇨🇦
apple just got back to me after elevating this issue to level 2 tech support. they asked me to try turning off auto-brightness (settings > accessibility > display and text size > auto-brightness) and see if this fixes the problem. i will try and let them know...

I just tried this and it seems could temporarily solve the issue. But the down side is to lose the functionality of auto brightness adjustment :(

Mystyleandmore

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2019
NY
wow even XR

Are yours also 11 Pro Max?
Yes it’s a 11 Pro Max:(
[automerge]1570162623[/automerge]

I never use auto brightness so mine is never on and I’ve been having this issue since I got the phone. As long as true tone is on it will flicker

DaFatha777

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2018
I’ve noticed the flickering too. Watching Netflix in Dolby Vision causes my iPhone 11 Pro Max to flicker. The brightness changes. Really quickly in certain scenes. It has to do with the HDR content playing on it. Has anyone else noticed this on video???

Mystyleandmore

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2019
NY
I’ve noticed the flickering too. Watching Netflix in Dolby Vision causes my iPhone 11 Pro Max to flicker. The brightness changes. Really quickly in certain scenes. It has to do with the HDR content playing on it. Has anyone else noticed this on video???
Yes 100% man. It happens all the time when I’m watching Netflix. it basically happens when your screen is all the way up to the brightest level and true tone is on and you go between a light and dark room you’ll see it flickering within a couple of seconds. It also happens while scrolling through your pictures, and the top, and bottom part of your screen is white, with the photo on the screen as well, and you’ll see the white part of the screen flicker to adjust the ambient light. F sucks lol:(

Reactions: MatoviyBob

DaFatha777

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2018
Yes 100% man. It happens all the time when I’m watching Netflix. it basically happens when your screen is all the way up to the brightest level and true tone is on and you go between a light and dark room you’ll see it flickering within a couple of seconds. It also happens while scrolling through your pictures, and the top, and bottom part of your screen is white, with the photo on the screen as well, and you’ll see the white part of the screen flicker to adjust the ambient light. F sucks lol:(
It totally sucks. What you just said is exactly what happens. Here’s another thing I noticed. The angle in which you hold the iPhone. If I place it against something, let’s say something cold. It goes crazy. Lean it against something metallic, same thing. It’s the craziest thing. Maybe I’m putting too much into it, but it’s becoming ridiculous. An update is necessary.

overklocked

Suspended
Oct 4, 2019
Signed up here just to reply to this. I have an iPhone 11 pro, contacted Apple, they said to bring it in to get it replaced. I have my doubts that'll fix anything though considering a few people here have already done so with no difference.

Eric.388

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2019
I found something : TrueTone on + NightShift on + Screen recording = no flickering (it helped me)

Just try this and let me know if it persists.
I hope it is SW bug.?

obargy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2016
🇨🇦
I found something : TrueTone on + NightShift on + Screen recording = no flickering (it helped me)

Just try this and let me know if it persists.
I hope it is SW bug.?

I'm not sure how to interpret this result :oops: maybe when screen recording is enabled, iPhone's screen brightness range is more limited or something similar?

obargy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2016
🇨🇦
So it looks like the Xs had a similar issue when it came out: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8552190?page=1

Thanks for bringing this on, it's very helpful.

But it seems that Apple only resolved the similar issue of iPhone XS on early December 2018... which is after 3 months' of initial launch. We might have to be prepared for this.

I found out that "Reduce White Point" under Settings/Accessibility/Display & Text Size might temporarily solve the flickering issue. Anybody wants to give a try? Although reducing the white point by 25% nearly means that it "disabled" the View Full HDR anyway... But this might help while awaiting for updates from Apple. And this could also help to make the PMW less visible.

As I browse through those threads talking about PWM, I think this flickering issue might be related to that. According to NBC, iPhone 11 Pro has a typical PWM frequency of 290.7 Hz and Pro Max's is 245.1 Hz. Does it mean that 11 Pro is less visible of subtle intensity change than Pro Max, so less affected by the flickering issue?

Last edited:

BeachDad

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2019
I’m having the same issue on my 11 Pro. Exchanged launch unit and my replacement device is doing same thing

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
Did anyone confirm any difference if the flickering is the same when in dark mode or light mode?

Wonder if dark mode is what’s buggy?

obargy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2016
🇨🇦
Did anyone confirm any difference if the flickering is the same when in dark mode or light mode?

Wonder if dark mode is what’s buggy?

From what I tried, the flickering is very similar in both modes. However when you view a photo without upper and lower menu bars in dark mode, the flickering is less visible.

Reactions: m0sher

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
From what I tried, the flickering is very similar in both modes. However when you view a photo without upper and lower menu bars in dark mode, the flickering is less visible.

Thank you for trying , it hadn’t been brought up.

Incoming 11 Pro Max here. Can’t test this yet.

overklocked

Suspended
Oct 4, 2019
How many of you have a full screen protector on? Have you tried it without the screen protector? I’m going to the Apple store today. Gonna try this on their display units.

Mystyleandmore

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2019
NY
How many of you have a full screen protector on? Have you tried it without the screen protector? I’m going to the Apple store today. Gonna try this on their display units.
I’m pretty sure it happened before I got the screen protector. I realize the flickering going through my photos the day I got it and then the next day I ended up going out and going to the Apple Store and getting a screen protector. But at that point I didn’t realize it was a real issue, I thought it was just my TV flashing reflection off my screen lol. But then as the days went by I realized it was a big issue And it was happening when I had my true tone setting toggled on. At first I thought I had to change the light sources in the area to see it happening but then I got to the point where I was just sitting down on my couch and I’ll turn on true tone and it will start flickering rt away and then I’ll turn it off and It will stop. So:((

Reactions: obargy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.