Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenroberts83

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
I'm guessing this isn't really considered a "big" update?

The next "big" update will be Broadwell processors, which will be a very big update indeed. You'll likely see either increased battery life or decreased weight (due to smaller battery), since the power consumption is so much better. You'll also get much better integrated graphics. Expect that in early 2015. That's a long while to wait though.

Vanilla Face

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2013
Aren't these changes usually reflected on Apple.com at 12:00am EST on Tuesdays? I guess it isn't happening this week.

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
Don't fall for the system, you don't need to upgrade every 2 years. My 2009 iMac still works wonderful, and I'll make my 2012 macbook pro last another 3 years at least. Recently popped a ssd in her and it saved our relationship.
I hear ya, my 2008 is still going strong w/ a new battery & replaced fans. It could use a bigger HD is about all. Look after these machines & they will last. I can still mix a full album in Logic on it. There's no need to have the latest specs to keep up w/ the Joneses. If the tool works for you then avoid the money trap. I'm going to consider an upgrade soon because I'm closing in on 6yrs w/ this baby & donate it to my sister but I could easily squeeze another year out of it myself.

KettyKrueger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2007
UK
Minor updates tend to happen early morning ( west coast) which is normally about lunchtime here in the UK. Don't think it's a midnight thing.

phusebox

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2014
Store is back to its normal state now but perhaps what I witnessed were preparations. Fingers crossed, almost bought one yesterday.

Rbk23

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2014
WOO!!

So I have the base 15" set to arrive via UPS. What is the best course of action for returning it in favour of one of the refreshes? Just refuse the delivery and order the new one as soon as it's available? or go through apple and get the return labels and initiate an exchange?

cn1dlm

Canceled
Oct 17, 2013
All Online Apple Stores worldwide are down as of 1:00am Pacific Time with it's usual message "We'll be back. We are busy updating the Apple Store for you and will be back soon."

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2.png
    Screen Shot 2.png
    161.8 KB · Views: 79

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Wonder if its just going to be the Macbook Pro update, might be wishful thinking to want anything else :)

cn1dlm

Canceled
Oct 17, 2013
Wonder if its just going to be the Macbook Pro update, might be wishful thinking to want anything else :)

Most likely, but previous rumors have also pointed to that the Non-Retina MacBook Pro will be discontinued in the second half of 2014 so that's also a possibility.

A price drop would be great as well, but I personally don't see this happening.

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
I really hope that they add in an Nvidia GTX 880M, a 4K display, pre-release Broadwell i7 processors, a new type of hyper-density battery that has 10x the battery life, and slash the cost by $1000. I also fully expect a unicorn to be included, or at least as a configuration option.

eklof

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
Any rumours about another graphics in the new mbpr? I want to run dual 4K diaplays at 60Hz, anyone know it that might even be possible on todays version?

cn1dlm

Canceled
Oct 17, 2013
I really hope that they add in an Nvidia GTX 880M, a 4K display, pre-release Broadwell i7 processors, a new type of hyper-density battery that has 10x the battery life, and slash the cost by $1000. I also fully expect a unicorn to be included, or at least as a configuration option.

That would be a nice surprise, but I wouldn't hold your breath on Broadwell for two reasons:

1. Intel has delayed Broadwell until 2015.

2. Since Broadwell processors would be a major update, I wouldn't count on a release without a Media Event Keynote.

cn1dlm

Canceled
Oct 17, 2013
Any rumours about another graphics in the new mbpr? I want to run dual 4K diaplays at 60Hz, anyone know it that might even be possible on todays version?

Graphics are likely to remain the same until Broadwell processors are released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.