Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mosser

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2012
Work gives me cashback and matched lowest price I could find

So the difference would be 200 usd tbh but that's 1 usd per MHz

Last edited:

cn1dlm

Canceled
Oct 17, 2013
I am in the same boat - the ram is the same on mine but should I make the 1 hour trip for a 200mhz increase in processor speed.

Like I said already, 200MHz really isn't that much of a difference. If thats the only change compare to the machine you bought recently, I wouldn't bother making the trip to return it. However, if the RAM has been increased for the model you bought, then it might be worth considering a exchange if you are within Apple's 14 day return policy.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
Erm. No. It's Intel refreshing the CPU range.

Your point being what. The only offering Apple is able to make is a minor upgrade by one of their component manufacturers.

If that's all it takes to whet your appetite then your more easily pleased as a consumer than I. For most people a minor speed bump will make almost zero impact on their computing needs.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Your point being what. The only offering Apple is able to make is a minor upgrade by one of their component manufacturers.

Broadwell got delayed. Deal with it. In the meantime Apple have installed the best Intel have to offer, and decreased some prices.

You'd rather they'd left the range alone so you could rant about no updates, Broadwell being delayed and higher prices?

goldenboy48

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2014

If that's all it takes to whet your appetite then your more easily pleased as a consumer than I. For most people a minor speed bump will make almost zero impact on their computing needs.

Personally I'm very happy with the update. Before this update, I felt that the base model with only 4 gb was very behind on its time when most $700-800 laptops out there came with 8 gb ram. It's a good upgrade.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Broadwell got delayed. Deal with it. In the meantime Apple have installed the best Intel have to offer, and decreased some prices.

You'd rather they'd left the range alone so you could rant about no updates, Broadwell being delayed and higher prices?

I'm guessing they want the 850m instead of the 750m.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.

Absolutely not - I'm more than happy with my mid-2011 iMac. It's yet to break sweat and will stay current for many more years to come.

I'm probably not the type of consumer Apple likes i.e. I can think for myself and don't get swept along by all the hype Apple loves so much.

It's one of the reasons they have become so successful. Just look at the queues when there's a product launch. They are masters at the product psychology and the younger you are the easier you fall for it.

Don't get me wrong, I think Apple make a good product but I'm way past the age where my head get's turned by the latest bit of tech.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Absolutely not - I'm more than happy with my mid-2011 iMac. It's yet to break sweat and will stay current for many more years to come.

I'm probably not the type of consumer Apple likes i.e. I can think for myself and don't get swept along by all the hype Apple loves so much.

It's one of the reasons they have become so successful. Just look at the queues when there's a product launch. They are masters at the product psychology and the younger you are the easier you fall for it.

Don't get me wrong, I think Apple make a good product but I'm way past the age where my head get's turned by the latest bit of tech.

Me either. I was perfectly happy with my 2011 MBP. Shame the GPU was made out of chocolate!

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Me either. I was perfectly happy with my 2011 MBP. Shame the GPU was made out of chocolate!

Indeed. Mine has melted down twice. Now I'm about 3 months out of Apple care, and thinking it will give up the ghost again before next year's supposed broadwell redesign, and I'll end up buying a new machine 15 days before they release the new ones.

So I very well may give in and get a loaded 15" now. Will take some getting used to the smaller display, though...

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
Fortunately I have no need for a mobile solution - other than my iPad that is. This makes having a static Mac i.e. my iMac in combination with the iPad the perfect solution for me.

ds2000

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2012
I bought my new 15" mbp on Tuesday morning in the Las Vegas store.... wonder if I lucked out, don't really care too much if I didn't :)

Fean0r

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2014

So, you're anyway not in the market for a replacement laptop but you're unhappy about this minor update? What a strange attitude to have.

I agree with your general philosophy - I don't understand why people always need the latest tech. Hardware is so far ahead of what most software needs these days that it's just unnecessary, and I think a lot of the time people buy a new laptop when all they needed to do was wipe the HDD and reinstall the OS of the old one (I understand that this can speed up even Mac OS, but maybe I'm wrong).

For this update, though, it's not as if Apple have made a big thing out of it. It's only been mentioned in the geek press. If you looked at their website you'd only tell it's just been updated if you knew what you're looking at.

I'm quite happy it's at least received some sort of update, considering nothing much else is available from the hardware vendors at the moment. I've been looking at replacing my creaking Core2 Duo PC that I built in 2006 for a while now, but finances got in the way and then we were nearing the time when Apple were expected to refresh their Macbooks. At least now I know I'm safe to buy either the late 2013 model a bit cheaper, or the slightly faster 2014 model, without fearing that they'll release a major upgrade six weeks later. That's not because I want the latest for the sake of having the latest, but because I want my hard earned cash to get me something that has as much life in it as possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.