Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gno

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
South Africa
Greetings all!

Please could someone explain the lag / choppiness on the retina ipad ios 8.0 + 8.0.2 + and now 8.1 when using chrome / facebook / safari / etc?

My retina mini had no issues on ios 7.1.2.

Do you believe this issue will be rectified going forward?

Most annoying since 7.1.2 rollback not possible!

Many thanks!

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
We can only hope that Apple will realize that iOS is getting the trademark Lag of Android.

I am not too sure that 8.1 will address that, making our iDevices smoother but hopefully 8.2 will address the lag problems.

From what I read on this forum, even new iPhone 6 and 6 pluses lag at certain places in iOS8.

I stayed back on 7.1.2 as downgrade window was open. So we just need to wait and watch,

alezano

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2014
Italy
Lag scrolling in Safari drives me crazy. Not the experience I expect from my iPad Air with iOS 8.0.2. I hoped iOS 8.1 would fix this but it doesnt seem so. I cant believe it.

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
8.0.x has some lag on my mini as well, i'd imagine 8.1 will have a lot of it sorted when released. Only so much you can test in lab and with beta testers, release to public gives you lots of reporting metrics.

gno

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
South Africa
Same here. Running a 2 year old iPhone 5 too... hmm. I wonder if its a very low percentage of beta testers, trolls or i'm just very lucky.

Open Facebook news feed and scroll up and down and you will find the screen "stutters" for lack of a better word. Same with chrome / safari when scrolling. I do hope this is resolved with forthcoming updates. As mentioned no such issues with 7.1.2

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
As everyone can see, some have this issue and some don't. So, what's different?

Well, when someone does a clean restore, the only data that comes with them is their iCloud account data, because they sign into the account during setup. What iCloud data is associated with Safari? Reading list items, bookmarks, and autofill data.

Try deleting all reading list items. These slow safari issues may be easily resolvable.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
Same here. Running a 2 year old iPhone 5 too... hmm. I wonder if its a very low percentage of beta testers, trolls or i'm just very lucky.

Either you are not sensitive to lag or you don't understand the meaning of lag.

I am sure that if we show you a game running at 60fps and same game running at 30 fps, you wouldn't be able to spot the difference.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2012
Greetings all!

Please could someone explain the lag / choppiness on the retina ipad ios 8.0 + 8.0.2 + and now 8.1 when using chrome / facebook / safari / etc?

My retina mini had no issues on ios 7.1.2.

Do you believe this issue will be rectified going forward?

Most annoying since 7.1.2 rollback not possible!

Many thanks!

You had one week to downgrade back. With ios 7, ipads are a tad laggy because they lack optimization and ios 8 made it worse. You can't do anything, just wait and hope for apple to bring speed performances in ios 8.x updates.

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013
No issues for me.

Of course not :rolleyes:

The rotating animation is buttery smooth at 60 fps? :rolleyes:

The rotating animation in spotlight is stuttery on every iPad Air and retina mini. It's a fact. It is very noticeable, so I don't understand how some people claim that the animation is perfectly smooth :confused:

PS

Reduce transparency must be turned OFF.

gno

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
South Africa
As everyone can see, some have this issue and some don't. So, what's different?

Well, when someone does a clean restore, the only data that comes with them is their iCloud account data, because they sign into the account during setup. What iCloud data is associated with Safari? Reading list items, bookmarks, and autofill data.

Try deleting all reading list items. These slow safari issues may be easily resolvable.

Thanks for this.

I do not have iCloud account or any iCloud data.

Will attempt a second clean install of 8.1

----------

You had one week to downgrade back. With ios 7, ipads are a tad laggy because they lack optimization and ios 8 made it worse. You can't do anything, just wait and hope for apple to bring speed performances in ios 8.x updates.

Thank you... Why do Apple stop signing previous release?

----------

Of course not :rolleyes:

The rotating animation is buttery smooth at 60 fps? :rolleyes:

The rotating animation in spotlight is stuttery on every iPad Air and retina mini. It's a fact. It is very noticeable, so I don't understand how some people claim that the animation is perfectly smooth :confused:

PS

Reduce transparency must be turned OFF.

Thanks. Have mostly everything turned off. Maybe should leave the mini itself turned off :rolleyes:

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
Thank you... Why do Apple stop signing previous release?

1. Force everyone to upgrade and bring them on same iOS level and increase app compatibility as they introduce new APIs in newer versions.

2. Planned obsolescence. The user experience is adjusted in such a way to make older devices appear slower and slower over time. That way, people are forced to buy Apple's latest shiny iDevice. It's immoral but almost every company does this to stay in business.

3. Fix few critical bugs in newer versions and hence they don't allow people to go back to previous iOS versions and remain buggy.

richardbb85

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2009
i love how we have to turn off features just to have the device run the way it's supposed to be, n what amazed me is that people r okay with that

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Either you are not sensitive to lag or you don't understand the meaning of lag.

I am sure that if we show you a game running at 60fps and same game running at 30 fps, you wouldn't be able to spot the difference.

Oh yes I would. I do know lag, I do see slight lag every now and then when the keyboard is up, lock screen NC and CC plus a few places here and there but nothing that I constantly see and ruins my work flow...

I do not see it on my friends iPhone 5s either. Thats why it makes it hard for me to believe that theres some crazy lag.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
Oh yes I would. I do know lag, I do see slight lag every now and then when the keyboard is up, lock screen NC and CC plus a few places here and there but nothing that I constantly see and ruins my work flow...

I do not see it on my friends iPhone 5s either. Thats why it makes it hard for me to believe that theres some crazy lag.

Thanks for accepting there is lag. No one is saying its crazy lag. But it's noticeable enough for most people to feel their device has gotten slow. The lag does show it's ugly face at random places, especially in the new Safari.

By the way, I downgraded my iPad Air Wifi to 7.1.2 because iOS 8 caused kernel panics and gave me BSODs after 20-30 mins of heavy use. There is a big thread here on Apple support site. The issue primarily affects Indian, Canadian and a few UK iPad Air Wifi. I purchased Air for $ 800 few months ago and it instantly became non usable by a software update is such a shame for Apple. But my neighbour wasn't so lucky. He is still on iOS 8.0.2 and he is done with Apple. The reboots, Safari lag and tabs reloading was so unbearable for him that his iPad is now on eBay.

Previously I did all I could to defend Apple and their products. But not any more. Suddenly the rumoured google Nexus 9 looks more tasty than the upcoming bug riddled iPad Air 2.

gno

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
South Africa
1. Force everyone to upgrade and bring them on same iOS level and increase app compatibility as they introduce new APIs in newer versions.

2. Planned obsolescence. The user experience is adjusted in such a way to make older devices appear slower and slower over time. That way, people are forced to buy Apple's latest shiny iDevice. It's immoral but almost every company does this to stay in business.

3. Fix few critical bugs in newer versions and hence they don't allow people to go back to previous iOS versions and remain buggy.

Thank you. Make sense. Just frustrating coming from 7.1.2 where all worked okay and now having to "accept" a software version that needs to be ironed out with future updates

----------

i love how we have to turn off features just to have the device run the way it's supposed to be, n what amazed me is that people r okay with that

I agree 100%! Not much sense in it!

----------

Thanks for accepting there is lag. No one is saying its crazy lag. But it's noticeable enough for most people to feel their device has gotten slow. The lag does show it's ugly face at random places, especially in the new Safari.

By the way, I downgraded my iPad Air Wifi to 7.1.2 because iOS 8 caused kernel panics and gave me BSODs after 20-30 mins of heavy use. There is a big thread here on Apple support site. The issue primarily affects Indian, Canadian and a few UK iPad Air Wifi. I purchased Air for $ 800 few months ago and it instantly became non usable by a software update is such a shame for Apple. But my neighbour wasn't so lucky. He is still on iOS 8.0.2 and he is done with Apple. The reboots, Safari lag and tabs reloading was so unbearable for him that his iPad is now on eBay.

Previously I did all I could to defend Apple and their products. But not any more. Suddenly the rumoured google Nexus 9 looks more tasty than the upcoming bug riddled iPad Air 2.

Apple products and it's refinement have always kept it ahead of the market. However attention to detail seems to be missing recently....

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
The simple fact is that some people are not as sensitive to lag or slowdown. I remember sitting with a work colleague using iOS 7 on their 4s and they couldn't see the difference, running side by side, with my 5s. They couldn't see the 5s having smoother UI animations and faster loading times. They looked at me and said, "There's no difference".

So yes there are people who notice lag and slowdown on iOS more than others, and if you notice it then its unfortunate. Personally I notice the slightest dip in smoothness on iOS devices, I can tell immediately when a new build isn't as smooth and where compared to the previous one.

One example on iOS 8.0 and 8.0.2 is the weather app. Add a new city to the list and then condense the view to show all cities. Tap one to expand it to full screen view and watch it stutter ... not present on iOS 7 and while 8.1 does make it slightly smoother it doesn't return the animation to iOS 7 levels of smoothness.

Just because you can't see the lag or stuttering doesn't mean it's our problem with our hardware, our configuration or even in our minds.

It's there, you're just fortunate enough to not be able to see it.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
Pretty much every iOS 8 device lags except for the 5S and 6. Even the 6+ lags. :mad:

gno

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
South Africa
The simple fact is that some people are not as sensitive to lag or slowdown. I remember sitting with a work colleague using iOS 7 on their 4s and they couldn't see the difference, running side by side, with my 5s. They couldn't see the 5s having smoother UI animations and faster loading times. They looked at me and said, "There's no difference".

So yes there are people who notice lag and slowdown on iOS more than others, and if you notice it then its unfortunate. Personally I notice the slightest dip in smoothness on iOS devices, I can tell immediately when a new build isn't as smooth and where compared to the previous one.

One example on iOS 8.0 and 8.0.2 is the weather app. Add a new city to the list and then condense the view to show all cities. Tap one to expand it to full screen view and watch it stutter ... not present on iOS 7 and while 8.1 does make it slightly smoother it doesn't return the animation to iOS 7 levels of smoothness.

Just because you can't see the lag or stuttering doesn't mean it's our problem with our hardware, our configuration or even in our minds.

It's there, you're just fortunate enough to not be able to see it.

Agreed!!

----------

Pretty much every iOS 8 device lags except for the 5S and 6. Even the 6+ lags. :mad:

I am too nervous to update my 5s.... sticking to 7.1.2 for now....

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014

Thats the thing though. I don't get lag in Safari (besides the wifi crapping out at my university). Could you record a video or something? The worst I get is the video not loading, but I think thats wifi problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.