Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
Sell it and get an Air 2. Everything is buttery smooth the way iOS 8 is supposed to be. I think a lot of it has to do with all the new internal code. Quick reply, etc is eating up resources. Even music stuttered sometimes on my Air 1. Definitely a case of lack of RAM. on the Air 2 theres plenty to spare.

Nothing to do with RAM, just terrible coding. A lack of RAM would be visible when different apps shut down cause the app you're using is eating up the RAM. Stuttering, lag, frames dropping etc has nothing to do with RAM.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Nothing to do with RAM, just terrible coding. A lack of RAM would be visible when different apps shut down cause the app you're using is eating up the RAM. Stuttering, lag, frames dropping etc has nothing to do with RAM.

I'd say it's both. Apple backed itself into a corner using 1gb of RAM on a 64bit device pushing as many pixels as an iPad. There's a lot of under the hood stuff going on in iOS 8. You can only optimize up to a point. On an air 2 everything feels the way it was intended to run aside from some very random little bugs.

But I'll agree. Apple has gotten a little lazy lately with all these buggy releases.

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
I'd say it's both. Apple backed itself into a corner using 1gb of RAM on a 64bit device pushing as many pixels as an iPad. There's a lot of under the hood stuff going on in iOS 8. You can only optimize up to a point. On an air 2 everything feels the way it was intended to run aside from some very random little bugs.

But I'll agree. Apple has gotten a little lazy lately with all these buggy releases.

You have a point to an extent, the problem is though that iOS 8 is a buggy mess. It drops frames in places it shouldn't with these state of the art devices (in terms of hardware, aside from RAM).

This whole notion that iOS is a 60 fps smooth experience is gone and it is just as bad/good or equal grounds (technically bad) as Android (pure Android). To actually have to wait for a release that should work as intended is unacceptable and they have only themselves to blame for a game where they stare so blindly on profits that the development has taken a hit.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
You have a point to an extent, the problem is though that iOS 8 is a buggy mess. It drops frames in places it shouldn't with these state of the art devices (in terms of hardware, aside from RAM).

This whole notion that iOS is a 60 fps smooth experience is gone and it is just as bad/good or equal grounds (technically bad) as Android (pure Android). To actually have to wait for a release that should work as intended is unacceptable and they have only themselves to blame for a game where they stare so blindly on profits that the development has taken a hit.

I see your point. But on an Air 2 most places are 60fps or damn near close. Thats the scheme hah

sw6lee

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2013
Ios 8.1.1 beta fixes stutters like animation for closing home to go to springboard. I have it on my ipad mini 2. Much smoother in most part. Still very sometimes, slight delay occurs when closing safari, but mostly its much smoother in that aspect than 8.1. However all the stutters relating to when keyboard is popped up arent fixed. Maybe apple is never going to fix it..??

gno

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
South Africa
iOS 8.1.1 out and....... Still no change....... So dissapointing......

Numerous forums have this issue noted yet no fix and bearing in mind that this issue is widespread amongst Apple devices.

I keep going back to thequestion, ios 7.1.2 worked perfectly so what has changed so drastically with iOS 8.x.x?

How can a company that is worth more than Russia's stock market not rectify a common software problem? (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-11-14/apple-could-swallow-whole-russian-stock-market.html)

I guess all we can do is grin and bear it for now and hope for a future fix.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.