Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
iPad Air has it too in a few spots, but only when rotating the keyboard, opening Spotlight, etc. Kind of disappointing, you'd think the A7 could handle simple things like that.

gno

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
South Africa
So dissapointing that Apple did not fix the stutter / lag issues with 8.1 release yesterday. One can only wonder why? And if it will be resolved?

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
I had stuttering on 8.0.2, but so far so good on 8.1! No lag or stuttering so far. Even the 5Ghz slowness is gone for me.

gno

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
South Africa
I had stuttering on 8.0.2, but so far so good on 8.1! No lag or stuttering so far. Even the 5Ghz slowness is gone for me.

Is that on retina mini?

Stutter most prominent when using chrome, also on the notification centre drop down with widgets enabled when scrolling.

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009

Is that on retina mini?

Stutter most prominent when using chrome, also on the notification centre drop down with widgets enabled when scrolling.

Ha! Yes, a retina Mini......that's what this thread is about, right?? :D

But I don't use Chrome, and I guess I don't scroll with the Notification Center dropped down with widgets enabled.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
So dissapointing that Apple did not fix the stutter / lag issues with 8.1 release yesterday. One can only wonder why? And if it will be resolved?

being that the soon to be released ipad mini 3 has same guts as the mini retina, one would think ios 8.1 would run perfect on the mini retina

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
They'll have slowed it down on older hardware to push the A8. All well and good, except they couldn't be bothered to deliver the A8 on the Mini, presumably so they can try and upsell us to the full size iPad. Nice of them eh.

gno

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
South Africa
They'll have slowed it down on older hardware to push the A8. All well and good, except they couldn't be bothered to deliver the A8 on the Mini, presumably so they can try and upsell us to the full size iPad. Nice of them eh.

Agreed!

If only one could go back to 7.1.2.....

In any case, hopefully some future update rectifies all..... :rolleyes:

lewy

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2010
How does this situation look on iPad mini 3? It's the same, or everyting runs smoothly on the newer device?

I find my iPad mini 2 so laggy and slow. I'm gonna sell it.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
How does this situation look on iPad mini 3? It's the same, or everyting runs smoothly on the newer device?

Look at the hardware specs. Other than TouchID, they're identical, and so is performance. By the way, my Mini 2 didn't get any slower going to 8.1 than it was on 7.1.2.

lewy

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2010
You can see the same thing with iPad Air and mini 3.
It's just sad and pathetic. Hope to see an improvement in iOS 8.1.1 (for sure...).

My iPad lags even while opening/closing Safari/FB etc.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I upgraded last week to 8.1 from 7.1.1 on my new iPad mini (2). It works fine as far as i can see.

I don't use the Facebook app on my iPad because it always has been lousy on my iPhone throughout the years and OS releases and i don't think this is Apple's fault.

I did read a lot of lag issues regarding iOS8.1 on older devices such as iPad mini (1) and iPhone 4S but i don't have that with my iPad mini 2.
I haven't and won't upgrade my iPhone 4S. That runs still 7.1.2 very smoothly.

gno

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
South Africa

Thinking the same.... With no sign of 8.1.1 or some kind of fix am tempted to just sell mine.....

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
I turned off that option in accessibility for motion. The animations were choppy. They have to do this intentionally.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Thinking the same.... With no sign of 8.1.1 or some kind of fix am tempted to just sell mine.....

Sell it and get an Air 2. Everything is buttery smooth the way iOS 8 is supposed to be. I think a lot of it has to do with all the new internal code. Quick reply, etc is eating up resources. Even music stuttered sometimes on my Air 1. Definitely a case of lack of RAM. on the Air 2 theres plenty to spare.

BigBear14

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014
Pull down spotlight and then rotate the screen...

Haha the screen rotates to landscape yet the keyboard stays in portrait...ridiculous. My iPad mini retina is also buggy as hell...Safari is choppy, hand gestures are terribly choppy and any of fluidity is lost. It's ironic how iOS has all of a sudden become the example of bugs, lagging and overall poor system optimisation that Android was known for.

Apple need to get a hold of this, i just don't understand how a company so large have fans using the excuse 'doing too much at once' as well, this literally is unacceptable when everyone is paying a premium for their products.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Haha the screen rotates to landscape yet the keyboard stays in portrait...ridiculous. My iPad mini retina is also buggy as hell...Safari is choppy, hand gestures are terribly choppy and any of fluidity is lost. It's ironic how iOS has all of a sudden become the example of bugs, lagging and overall poor system optimisation that Android was known for.

Apple need to get a hold of this, i just don't understand how a company so large have fans using the excuse 'doing too much at once' as well, this literally is unacceptable when everyone is paying a premium for their products.

Unlucky, works perfectly smoothe on my mini retina. Gestures to swipe between apps, back to home screen all smooth. Opened 40 odd apps and swiped back and forth no problem. Safari smooth as silk too, I don't use chrome or have it installed. ipad mini retina 32gb 4G model. Had been upgraded to iOS 8.1 then a backup restored from an iPad 4th gen retina 4G model. About 6GB free space left on it.
Maybe you should try a full restore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.