Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Apps not optimized for the new mini 6 screen resolution are downscaled by ~3 % to fit the narrower width (reduced by 48 pixels compared to the previous models), which may explain that it appears less sharp.
Yes, this may be an app issue, not a hardware issue. Especially if you find only certain apps currently have this problem. Eventually may be resolved once apps are updated:

In any case, the Mini 6 display is 3% narrower in portrait so a page's text will be 3% smaller in portrait. Just the way it is. But it gains 10% in landscape. So pick your preference. I wish the portrait width had stayed the same, and only the landscape increased, which would have been a win-win

Reactions: klasma and profets

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Somewhat off topic, but was checking storage on my mini to see if I really need to stick with 256GB, or maybe drop to 64GB and save a few hundred dollars.

How is it possible this is still an issue in iOS? This was a clean install on this iPad not even 2 weeks ago:

s.png

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Here is
Somewhat off topic, but was checking storage on my mini to see if I really need to stick with 256GB, or maybe drop to 64GB and save a few hundred dollars.

How is it possible this is still an issue in iOS? This was a clean install on this iPad not even 2 weeks ago:

View attachment 1859349
System data is almost all caching, ignore it. It will probably drop to a few GB in a few days

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Here is a close-up comparison of text using iBooks on the Mini 6 vs on an 11" iPad Pro, both in portrait. The text is (obviously) larger on the iPad Pro, but the ppi is correspondingly less, so the number of pixels per text letter is about the same.
I am not seeing a sharpness issue on the Mini 6:
11" iPad Pro:
IMG_0780.jpeg

Mini 6:
IMG_0783.jpeg

Ignore the moire, as that is an interference artifact in the photos (not on the screens)
This is a photo of a 2" by 1" area of the screen on the iPad Mini (and a 2.5" by 1.25" area on the iPad Pro)

I have taken several successive photos of both screens, with slight variations mainly due to how well I focused or how steady I held the camera (iPhone), but the above is fairly representative. I could set up a DSLR on a tripod with a macro lens to get a more accurate comparison, but essentially the sharpness is just the same, as far as I can tell. The text is just smaller on the Mini, obviously.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
Here is a close-up comparison of text using iBooks on the Mini 6 vs on an 11" iPad Pro, both in portrait. The text is (obviously) larger on the iPad Pro, but the ppi is correspondingly less, so the number of pixels per text letter is about the same.
I am not seeing a sharpness issue on the Mini 6:
iPad Pro:
View attachment 1859375

Mini 6:
View attachment 1859374

Ignore the moire, as that is an interference artifact in the photo (not on the screens)

Seems like it was a one device problem then, I will go check out some in store display units to see. Might be able to make it work then.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Seems like it was a one device problem then, I will go check out some in store display units to see. Might be able to make it work then.
What matters to you is how you perceive it and whether it is comfortable for you, regardless of the reason.

I just got interested and took some photos to see for myself if there is a sharpness and text rendering issue on the Mini 6 that needs to be investigated further. For example, some screens/software use terrible dithering algorithms and ruin the text to make it look "smooth," but I don't see that happening here.

i would have also taken some similar photos of my old Mini 2 to compare, but unfortunately I already traded it in

Reactions: turbineseaplane

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Yeah I had to return the Mini 6 now, was getting used to the jelly scrolling but somehow I got eye fatigue by reading books on it. Called the wife over to compare it to the Mini 5 and we both saw that text was clearly less sharp on the Mini 6 compared to the Mini 5. It was almost like a monitor not running on a perfect multiple of it’s native resolution, it was very close but not quite. Don’t know if it was just a specific problem with my unit or not but since reading was the main use of it I had to return it.

So now my options are keeping the Mini 5 or switching both that and my 12 Pro Max for a Galaxy Fold 3…
That is strange. The pixels per inch (PPI) 0n the mini screen is 326 while the PPI on both the 11" and 12.9" iPad Pros screen are 264. One would think the mini should look sharper at the same distance.

Reactions: 3Rock and profets

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
That is strange. The pixels per inch (PPI) 0n the mini screen is 326 while the PPI on both the 11" and 12.9" iPad Pros screen are 264. One would think the mini should look sharper at the same distance.

Agreed, it is also the same PPI as my Mini 5 but it wasn’t as sharp. The top part of the display made a soft clicking noise when pressing lightly though so I guess it is very possible that the unit was defective.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

jimkingwood

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
I sold mine. I prefer the mini 6. I do a lot of fingerprint activity and use the device landscape, it’s just SO much more convenient to use my left thumb than twist the device and pull my right thumb back to touch the sensor.

I know I’m nearly alone in this but I think the sensor/home button being taken off the front sucks majorly. I mean it’s a show stopper for me.

Reactions: StoneJack

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I sold mine. I prefer the mini 6. I do a lot of fingerprint activity and use the device landscape, it’s just SO much more convenient to use my left thumb than twist the device and pull my right thumb back to touch the sensor.

I know I’m nearly alone in this but I think the sensor/home button being taken off the front sucks majorly. I mean it’s a show stopper for me.

I think you meant "5" in your first sentence :)

Personally, I don't mind it at the top. Smaller device, bigger screen. I'm good with that.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

I agree. I find TouchID+Home button easier than TouchID+Sleep button. Seems to fail less often, too, thanks to the bigger area for scanning.

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011
The mini 5 is still a great device, I'm glad it's still available for people who prefer it.

I agree it's nice being able to see where the fingerprint sensor on the mini 5 is. I traded my mini 5 for a mini 6, and half the time with the mini 6 I have to hunt around the ends to find the fingerprint sensor (yes, I know there's an on-screen indicator, but it still takes me a second or two.)

That said, there are enough things I like about the mini 6 to make it a worthwhile upgrade for me.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I freaking love my iPad mini 6. It’s like a mini iPad Pro.
I was away on a business trip for a week and the mini 6 is all I took with me aside from my phone. Did everything I needed.

Put 2TB inside, and we are good to go :)

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I returned mine a few days ago. Such a shame because the size is just perfect for carrying it around. Text was too small with all the tweaks I tried. Sam Kohl made a great video that just echoed my thoughts. The option for a display zoom would have made a world of difference and I probably would have kept it if such a thing existed.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I returned mine a few days ago. Such a shame because the size is just perfect for carrying it around. Text was too small with all the tweaks I tried. Sam Kohl made a great video that just echoed my thoughts. The option for a display zoom would have made a world of difference and I probably would have kept it if such a thing existed.
This is the biggest reason why I haven’t picked one up yet. When I had a mini 5, the text was just too small to be comfortable. For me - the iPP 11’s screen is perfect - I can read on that all day and it feels great. Phone? a few hours before it starts feeling uncomfortable. Mini? Similar to phone.

Reactions: profets and blairh

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
This is the biggest reason why I haven’t picked one up yet. When I had a mini 5, the text was just too small to be comfortable. For me - the iPP 11’s screen is perfect - I can read on that all day and it feels great. Phone? a few hours before it starts feeling uncomfortable. Mini? Similar to phone.
Funny you should say that. I actually purchased a refurbished 11" iPP after returning the Mini. It was only $110 more.

yellowbunny

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Picked up a mini 6 yesterday and love it. No more laptop going to work, will plug the iPad into a monitor and use mouse and keyboard. USB C is just an amazing upgrade. Was going to skip because of screen issue but only use in landscape so a problem for me really (but still poor).

Reactions: roncron

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
I love the size and portability but SOMETHING about this display just isn’t right. I mainly use in landscape and the text strains my eyes and almost looks fuzzy even though it’s not. Comparing to my 13pro, it looks like the text is even smaller on my iPad too

Exactly! I’m on the same boat. This form factor is amazing but the screen is killing me. I’m not seeing any jelly scrolling but something is really off with the text especially when switching back and forth between an iPhone 13 Pro and iPad Pro M1.

It also feels laggy too but that could be because I’m way to spoiled with working on higher refresh rate screens on my desktop, MacBook Pro M1 and the newer idevices.

On the fence of returning the mini, as I’m putting too much effort to try to live and like it with its quirks.

Last edited:

RoadWarrior56

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2014
Exactly! I’m on the same boat. This form factor is amazing but the screen is killing me. I’m not seeing any jelly scrolling but something is really off with the text especially when switching back and forth between an iPhone 13 Pro and iPad Pro M1.

It also feels laggy too but that could be because I’m way to spoiled with working on higher refresh rate screens on my desktop, MacBook Pro M1 and the newer idevices.

On the fence of returning the mini, as I’m putting too much effort to try to live and like it with its quirks.
As somebody who returned their Mini 6 back in Sept after only 3 days, it was the screen that got me too. It wasn’t jelly scrolling, but just something about the display that was a bit “off” for my eyes. It was often an instant headache for me. And I still have that issue when I look at store units. The Mini 5 is just easier on my eyes.

Reactions: soulreaver99

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Well I'm returning the 11" iPP that came today. No split keyboard. No floating keyboard. Unlocking in landscape is a nightmare because your left thumb is naturally going to cover the camera if holding it with two hands. And swiping up from the home bar is super awkward in landscape.

Gonna give the new Mini one last shot.

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011
I love the size and portability but SOMETHING about this display just isn’t right. I mainly use in landscape and the text strains my eyes and almost looks fuzzy even though it’s not. Comparing to my 13pro, it looks like the text is even smaller on my iPad too

Text in safari is very slightly smaller on my Mini 6 than my 12 Pro Max, and not quite as easy on my eyes. But the 12PM display is OLED. I can increase the text size in Safari by touching the AA button at the far left of the URL window.

(if you already knew these things, sorry, I did not mean to condescend, some people don’t )

Reactions: soulreaver99
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.