Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Text in safari is very slightly smaller on my Mini 6 than my 12 Pro Max, and not quite as easy on my eyes. But the 12PM display is OLED. I can increase the text size in Safari by touching the AA button at the far left of the URL window.

(if you already knew these things, sorry, I did not mean to condescend, some people don’t )

yes that's the work around, but does not work well with some websites.

Lilydgg

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
Text in safari is very slightly smaller on my Mini 6 than my 12 Pro Max, and not quite as easy on my eyes. But the 12PM display is OLED. I can increase the text size in Safari by touching the AA button at the far left of the URL window.

(if you already knew these things, sorry, I did not mean to condescend, some people don’t )
I just find it funny and annoying having text show up smaller on a larger display. I still can’t put my finger on what is “off” with the display, it’s definitely not this “jelly” problem since I’m not scrolling. It just feels harder on the eyes. The widgets are smaller than on my 13 pro. Messages has an awful UI in portrait on here to begin with, but yet again text is still smaller. Ive tried increasing the %, and it works on some sites like Mac rumors but on others it just increases the webpage size and makes it worse to navigate. None of this sizing makes sense. Never had a problem with my mini 2 before and I feel like I’m looking at too many work arounds to make this mini work so it’s likely going back

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
I just find it funny and annoying having text show up smaller on a larger display. I still can’t put my finger on what is “off” with the display, it’s definitely not this “jelly” problem since I’m not scrolling. It just feels harder on the eyes. The widgets are smaller than on my 13 pro. Messages has an awful UI in portrait on here to begin with, but yet again text is still smaller. Ive tried increasing the %, and it works on some sites like Mac rumors but on others it just increases the webpage size and makes it worse to navigate. None of this sizing makes sense. Never had a problem with my mini 2 before and I feel like I’m looking at too many work arounds to make this mini work so it’s likely going back

exactly, increase the % sites like Amazon and it will look like garbage.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I can’t wait for the day when I don’t need multiple devices. It bothers me that I’ve got a MBP, iPad Pro, and an iPhone. The cost is astronomical to keep these up to date every few years. But I can’t comfortably read on my iPhone for long periods of time. My MBP has reflectivity issues and is too hot to use on my lap (intel MBP). My iPad has superior reading abilities but no internet, isn’t easy to take places, and requires an external mouse/keyboard to be taken with me whenever I go somewhere with it.

I would like just one device - but I realize that this probably won’t happen anytime soon.

My idea of a perfect device = an iPhone like device that can be docked and used on a 4K monitor all the while having cellular and an ability to capture written word with an Apple Pencil like device. - Hey I can dream.

Interesting to see the comments about the mini 6 text being too small. This was my biggest problem with the mini 5 - if one was just going to spend $, a few hundred more gets me text that is far more pleasant to digest visually (iPad Pro 11).

Reactions: leperry

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I can’t wait for the day when I don’t need multiple devices. It bothers me that I’ve got a MBP, iPad Pro, and an iPhone. The cost is astronomical to keep these up to date every few years. But I can’t comfortably read on my iPhone for long periods of time. My MBP has reflectivity issues and is too hot to use on my lap (intel MBP). My iPad has superior reading abilities but no internet, isn’t easy to take places, and requires an external mouse/keyboard to be taken with me whenever I go somewhere with it.

I would like just one device - but I realize that this probably won’t happen anytime soon.

My idea of a perfect device = an iPhone like device that can be docked and used on a 4K monitor all the while having cellular and an ability to capture written word with an Apple Pencil like device. - Hey I can dream.

Interesting to see the comments about the mini 6 text being too small. This was my biggest problem with the mini 5 - if one was just going to spend $, a few hundred more gets me text that is far more pleasant to digest visually (iPad Pro 11).

Until we start getting devices implanted in our brains, I expect I’ll still need multiple devices for the various screen sizes.

Mind, I kept my laptop and desktop for 7+ years. The iPhone, I keep until battery goes bad. It’s just the iPads that get upgraded frequently (albeit likely less so now with the 2021 iPP being so OP).

eyePhone.jpeg

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

I actually like small text. I set the text on my kindle to the smallest setting. I think it has something to do with my eyesight. I have one long sighted eye and short sighted eye. My vision in my short sighted eye isn’t great and most of the work is done by the long sighted eye. So I think that’s why I find small text more comfortable.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
How exactly are you expecting this to be fixed? This, being a phenomenon that every 60hz LCD panel experiences?
So sick of reading comments like this. Under laboratory conditions this ‘jelly scroll’ phenomenon can be noticed on other devices by equipment scanning for it so yeah it technically happens but in all my years of buying tech I have never seen it with my own eyes on any device be that in portrait or landscape orientation.

Apple came out with a statement saying that all 60hz LCD panels exhibit this behaviour and everyone accepted it as Gospel. This is the company that told us we were holding the iPhone 4 incorrectly when the signal dropped due to bad design.

I don’t ever recall this issue of ‘jelly scroll’ being discussed before the iPad Mini 6 was released. Now everyone thinks that only 120 hz display panels don’t suffer from it which of course is nonsense. I’ve been using 60hz panels for years with no bother and have never heard anyone else complain about them either.

This problem is due to Apple sourcing a low quality display panel for the Mini 6 and nothing more. We don’t need ProMotion to cure it, or Apple shifting the problem over to landscape orientation instead - we just need Apple to spend a few more cents next time they contact their suppliers for a display panel.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Yeah, I have an 8" Galaxy Tab S2 and my new Mini 6 absolutely blows it away. It has the nice AMOLED display but the performance is wretched.
Galaxy Tab S2 release date - 2015
iPad Mini 6 release date - 2021

So a fair comparison of your tech gear…

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
So sick of reading comments like this. Under laboratory conditions this ‘jelly scroll’ phenomenon can be noticed on other devices by equipment scanning for it so yeah it technically happens but in all my years of buying tech I have never seen it with my own eyes on any device be that in portrait or landscape orientation.

Apple came out with a statement saying that all 60hz LCD panels exhibit this behaviour and everyone accepted it as Gospel. This is the company that told us we were holding the iPhone 4 incorrectly when the signal dropped due to bad design.

I don’t ever recall this issue of ‘jelly scroll’ being discussed before the iPad Mini 6 was released. Now everyone thinks that only 120 hz display panels don’t suffer from it which of course is nonsense. I’ve been using 60hz panels for years with no bother and have never heard anyone else complain about them either.

This problem is due to Apple sourcing a low quality display panel for the Mini 6 and nothing more. We don’t need ProMotion to cure it, or Apple shifting the problem over to landscape orientation instead - we just need Apple to spend a few more cents next time they contact their suppliers for a display panel.
fwiw, I've seen jelly scrolling on many panels...

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK

The issue is that Apple have used a panel that makes this more noticable when the device is used in portrait, which is how it is used most often. My mini 4 exhibits jelly scroll in landscape, as does my ipad pro 12.9. The difference is that, in landscape, the width of the display makes it less noticable.

Reactions: klasma

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
The issue is that Apple have used a panel that makes this more noticable when the device is used in portrait, which is how it is used most often. My mini 4 exhibits jelly scroll in landscape, as does my ipad pro 12.9. The difference is that, in landscape, the width of the display makes it less noticable.
I disagree. It’s just a bad panel and shifting the issue over to landscape mode would be every bit as noticeable (although better for me as I rarely use my tablet in landscape unless watching a video).

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

Glad I'm in the minority and almost never use my Mini 6 in portrait.

Reactions: mizzourah

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I disagree. It’s just a bad panel and shifting the issue over to landscape mode would be every bit as noticeable (although better for me as I rarely use my tablet in landscape unless watching a video).
“Bad panel” doesn’t explain anything. What exactly is bad about it that causes the effect? Until someone provides a technical explanation that can be verified, “bad panel” is just a vague conjecture.

I totally agree that the jelly effect is much more pronounced on the mini 6 than on other devices, but at least part of that is down to its aspect ratio and the screen refresh orientation.

Last edited:

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
But it's not every bit as noticable, as I explained. Shifting it from landscape to portrait made it noticable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.