Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sean+mac

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Advertised prices in the US don't include tax.
It works the same in Canada. Sales tax is added as an additional charge on receipt when paying – not shown in the advertised price in an or or on the shelf.

I was in the Apple Store today in B.C. and the sales tax was 12%. In my home province (Alberta, next province over) it is only 5% as we only pay the Federal sales tax (GST.) Same listed price in both provinces. I’ll wait until I’m back or have it shipped – not worth the extra 7% premium to get it a week earlier.

It is a price gouge because the bigger regular iPad is cheaper.
The mini has always been priced at premium over the entry level mini since the original was launched.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
No…the distance from the screen matters…

It’s one of the reasons many don’t find any need for 4K TVs until they get to be a certain size in conjunction with how far away the viewing is done
I'm getting my mini 6 tomorrow in the mail, but my mini 2's screen is fantastic in terms of resolution and detail. I can't imagine it being worse than an 8 year old product. (Same PPI)

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
So, i purchased a 256Gb Space Grey Wifi iPad Mini 6, well the device is beautiful, form factor/size is perfect, im just completely underwhelmed for paying pretty much $1000CAD for this thing.. Screen is "ok"... cameras are "ok" , Battery life is "ok"..

Honestly if this thing costed $450-$550CAD as is id of probably of been happy with my purchase, but in no way is this thing worth $1000 to me.. I will just wait till a better version comes out or buy one used in a few months when people sell them for a good price.

i really really really wanted to like it and convince myself to keep it but i cant justify the price for the final product received.

No offense, but you knew what it was beforehand, the specs were advertised, including how much it cost.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Specs on paper for a screen and real world performance are completely different.. just because two screens have the same resolution and hz doesn’t meant they perform the same..

I had a Mini 5, so I guess I knew what to expect. The other advancements, processor, USB-C, bigger screen and smaller bezels, Pencil 2 support, were worth it for me.

Qu1ckset

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2013
Toronto, Canada
I had a Mini 5, so I guess I knew what to expect. The other advancements, processor, USB-C, bigger screen and smaller bezels, Pencil 2 support, were worth it for me.
USB-C but stuck with USB2 speeds , again another downfall of looking good on paper lol

Its a cool device , love the design , just not there yet for me , I’m glad you and many others love your iPad Mini 6!

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
From my first-hand experience with my 256GB Mini 5, USB speeds do indeed matter when I want to load up that 256GB with music, movies, magazines, and comics.

I pretty much just do this over wifi. iTunes File Sharing kinda sucks.

Besides, for DRM content I can't exactly use USB to download from Comixology, Movies Anywhere, etc.

Videos on the NAS are all full quality 4K UHD and 1080p Blu-ray rips (25-60GB each) and would fill up the iPad quick.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I pretty much just do this over wifi. iTunes File Sharing kinda sucks.

Besides, for DRM content I can't exactly use USB to download from Comixology, Movies Anywhere, etc.

Videos on the NAS are all full quality 4K UHD and 1080p Blu-ray rips (25-60GB each) and would fill up the iPad quick.
None of my media is DRM'ed so that isn't a problem. I've haven't tried WiFi transfer of files in a while so it might be time to stop being a caveman and try it again.

I have my Plex server set up to have different versions of a video based on target device. I find it wasteful to put full Blu-ray rips on a device with a 7.9" screen. Rips that are well-optimized for the Mini weigh in at a little under 1GB for an hour of video. (even that is overkill but I'm getting generous in my old age)

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
On the topic of returning the Mini 6, the more I'm hearing about the little deficiencies with it, the more I'm thinking that this was a troll move by Apple to appease those who were clamoring for an Air-like form-factor/design for the Mini. Even to the point of making the vertical (when in portrait mode) bezels LARGER.

That's probably not the case, but it sounds like there was quite a bit more than Apple could've done to make the Mini 6 more polished.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
It works the same in Canada. Sales tax is added as an additional charge on receipt when paying – not shown in the advertised price in an or or on the shelf.

I was in the Apple Store today in B.C. and the sales tax was 12%. In my home province (Alberta, next province over) it is only 5% as we only pay the Federal sales tax (GST.) Same listed price in both provinces. I’ll wait until I’m back or have it shipped – not worth the extra 7% premium to get it a week earlier.

The mini has always been priced at premium over the entry level mini since the original was launched.
The budget iPad didn’t exist when the original mini came out. It was the iPad 4th gen that was around in 2012 and it was more expensive than the mini. The first gen mini didn’t even have a Retina display but the iPad 4th gen did.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I'm getting my mini 6 tomorrow in the mail, but my mini 2's screen is fantastic in terms of resolution and detail. I can't imagine it being worse than an 8 year old product. (Same PPI)
It will definitely be better. It has a wider colour gamut and True Tone. To be fair I don’t find the screen on my mini 5 to be an issue. It’s fine.

Last edited:

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
No offense, but you knew what it was beforehand, the specs were advertised, including how much it cost.
I think the problem here is that there are many people that have been interested by the mini 6 (hype) who have never had a mini before or might have tried one years ago. The mini is a very niche product. It’s not for everyone. 8.3 inches sounds a lot but unless you have a specific use case for it when you actually get it you’ll find it’s small.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.