Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

durangojim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2013
I think it’s a great watch, and I love the action button and the titanium body. However I was disappointed that the screen size seems to be only slightly (and I’m talking less than a mm) larger than my series 7. Hoping next year they’ll actually make the screen larger. At least it saved me $800

Fozziebear71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
That’s the main reason I didn’t upgrade from my SS Series 7, 45mm. Once I realized the screen was essentially the same size and saw the bezel and how large it is on the Ultra I decided to wait. You just know they are going to make the screen larger in a version or two. If I was on anything earlier than my Series 7 I probably would have upgraded.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I’m not sure yet about the Ultra. I’m going to give it a few more days.

Positives:
Action button
Brightness
Battery life
Price compared to my Hermes SS Series 7

Negatives:
Ultra specific bands look and feel cheap
Lack of optimized text for screen size - everything just seems slightly bigger
Durability questions - reports of GPS/Cellular band scratching and also titanium body scratches with minimal usage

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2003
Screen doesn't seem noticeably bigger than the 45mm series 7.

The fairly large bezels unfortunately make some of the Watch faces look worse than on the S7/S8 (i.e. Metropolitan). I’m still not sure whether I’m going to keep it or not.

Reactions: xDKP

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
In defense of the bezels, I think they are necessary to make side swiping a little easier. That’s because the raised lip around the screen can get in the way if you start too far over. With the extra glass around the screen, your finger has a little more runway to do a swipe.

My biggest disappointment is the crown. I hate the guard on either side which gets in the way of turning the crown. This, more than anything, has me thinking I might return the watch.

Fozziebear71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Not trying to bash at all, but from the numerous articles and specs it should’ve be known that there wasn’t a screen size difference.
You would think but I tried to inform people of that on another thread earlier in the week and I had several people attack and insult me for stating the fact. I was just trying to make sure that people understood there was essentially no difference in size. I suspect they had preordered and just didn’t want to hear it. I wasn’t insulting the watch, just pointing it out.

Rorosbutt

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2013
I was hoping they’d allow us to use the extra real estate on the screen but things are… slightly bigger? I love complications and would love a watch face with more than 8 complications

Reactions: ashton18

cannono

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2014
I love it, but everyone has different priorities. I was looking for a fresh design for the Apple Watch, which has kept its rounded pebble look since launch in 2015.

I think it’s gorgeous and I think the flat screen effectively gives more perceivable space since it isn’t surrounded with reflective curves over the edges.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
The fairly large bezels unfortunately make some of the Watch faces look worse than on the S7/S8 (i.e. Metropolitan). I’m still not sure whether I’m going to keep it or not.
yes, the bezels are larger, but, once we get teardown imo that is due to the fact that AWU is 100m water resistant.

I reserved judgment when I ordered as I have a Ti S7, but I'm gonna keep it, love the design, functionality but to each their own

Reactions: mgscheue and Johnly

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
Funny, I was worried that upgrading to the Ultra from my perfectly good SS Series 4 was sort of wasteful and unnecessary and that I would regret it, but there’s no way I’m going back to the S4 after using the Ultra for a day.

If I had upgraded to a Series 7 for the extra screen size, I’d have gotten stainless (as I always did) and this year I’d be looking for reasons why the Ultra is not for me.

Johnly

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2022
I think there was an article written here that broke down the spec’s between the s8 and the ultra, and while the screen on the ultra has only 23 more square mm of real estate and some more pixels, it’s not that much larger than the s8, but noticeable side by side. I think people assumed it would have a much larger display based on case size, but with a rugged watch it would be a contraindication. It’s just refreshing to have the glass tucked in like a normal watch. It always bugged me a little that the edges of the Apple Watch were glass, and the base models didn’t have a hard sapphire screen. There is a huge difference in screen quality outdoors, my wife was surprised how bright it got in the sun next to her watch. In all honesty, it is exactly what I thought it would be and I friggen love this watch. Don’t think I could go back at this point. I understand it’s not for everyone.

Colinpp

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2022
Mine is going back to the Apple store on Monday as the speaker isn't working properly and is almost inaudible, even the siren wouldn’t wake a baby in the same room, very disappointing. Not thrilled on speaking to Apple that they wanted me to send it back for repair. I refused this as it isn’t fit for purpose so I’ve got an 80 mile round trip on Monday to hopefully get it exchanged. If they don’t have a replacement I will request a refund. When you‘re paying a premium price it’s reasonable to expect a premium service too.

oMc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2010
Finland & France
Funny, I was worried that upgrading to the Ultra from my perfectly good SS Series 4 was sort of wasteful and unnecessary and that I would regret it, but there’s no way I’m going back to the S4 after using the Ultra for a day.

If I had upgraded to a Series 7 for the extra screen size, I’d have gotten stainless (as I always did) and this year I’d be looking for reasons why the Ultra is not for me.

Same here, coming from a S4 the screen of the Ultra is quite an improvement. On top of everything else (design, battery life, etc). Still keeping the S4 if I need to dress fancy for an occasion, I don’t think the Ultra can be used for that (although I haven’t obviously tried yet).

Just my two cents, but if you upgraded from a S7 to the Ultra for the sole reason of a bigger screen, you made the wrong purchase. As pointed above, it has been known since day one that the screen was only marginally bigger compared to the S7/S8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.