Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
Yep, I have not even opened my band, I just used my bands from my AW6.
Albeit, I might look into an original leather band. Never tried one of those...
Same. I’m sure we’re not alone and I’m thinking that having only one case version was Apple’s missed opportunity to sell the case and bands totally separately instead of pretending that their audience for this watch is truly limited to users who need the specialized bands in order to benefit from the watch.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I think the ultra is a great product but the bands are garbage. So glad it works with the older bands. I think they wanted to make it stand out from the previous watches but the bags are terrible imho.

Toratek

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Actually the bands are fine for their intended purposes. For everyday use I am glad previous bands work well, but the specific task bands are good for their intended purpose. The Alpine is great under my motorcycle leathers, while most other bands pinch a bit.

Band reverse compatibility is one of the most important things Apple has done with this product line.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Keeping here. My favorite Apple Watch upgrade since the S4 (I've owned every generation since S0.) Titanium is awesome, love the new design with the crown guard and bezel chamfer, action button for precision start is great, flat screen makes it so much easier to use the keyboard, battery life is incredible so far. Basically the first time for me that the Apple Watch has felt "new" since S0.

Also given the Ultra bands are $99...it is essentially the same price as a steel S8 45mm (Which comes with a $50 sport band or equivalent.) Of course the ultra bands are artificially price inflated by Apple, but still if you want an ultra band and a regular band, they are essentially the same price ($699 + $100 vs $749 + $49)

Only thing I want from Apple now in terms of Apple Watch is a new titanium link band that matches the finish of the Ultra.

tim1000

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
I went from the S7 to the ultra and I have absolutely no regrets. Brighter screen, better battery life, better microphone and better speakers and not as dressy as the previous generation of watches. I can’t wait to go diving and surfing with it.
Next year I’m hoping they’ll bring out in different colours and reduce the bezels for an even bigger screen
Will you wear ultra daily even when dressy?

Reactions: dms_91

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I’m torn because I like the Ultra (and bored of the 4-8 design), but don’t love it.

It could have been so much more - truly more durable, bigger screen, better band selection, and much better battery life (36 compared to 18 sounds big, but in reality its 1 day versus 1.5 days. For me it’s easier to just charge every night anyway - I run a lot (not marathons though) so nothing that the standard Apple Watch can’t handle especially with fast charging. I feel like V2 will be where it really shines.

I’ve bought every single Apple Watch (Ceramic or Hermes versions), but this is a strange year for me. Nothing is overly appealing and saving $800 for the first time sounds like a good deal. I expect big things from the S9 and Ultra 2 next year.

varun14

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2010
I plan to return it ONLY if within the 2 week return period, they release the Trail Loop version in store. I hate the Apple bands on the Ultra apart from the look of the trail loop. So essentially, I will return it but for an exchange.

Mansu944

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
I think it’s a great watch, and I love the action button and the titanium body. However I was disappointed that the screen size seems to be only slightly (and I’m talking less than a mm) larger than my series 7. Hoping next year they’ll actually make the screen larger. At least it saved me $800
Did anybody look at anything? Why do so many people think it’s a bigger screen??

swamyg1

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2007
It's an amazing watch and I love the way it looks. I was nervous it would be too big but after receiving it I just love it.

Reactions: dms_91

Colinpp

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2022
Did you get the watch wet? I have found that the water ejection doesn’t clear enough water to prevent muting the speakers. Blow it out or let it dry and check again- might save you an unnecessary trip.
Thanks. You were spot on. I went swimming this morning at 8.00am. It’s taken about 16 hours for the speaker to dry out and work properly. As I swim every day I guess I better get used to it.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
No chance. It crushes every other Apple watch by a mile. It's not even close. The only reason I'd say keep the Series 7 or go with a Series 8 is if you have a tiny wrist and can't wear the Ultra. Outside of that, its the best watch Apple has ever made by a landslide.

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2014
I was hoping they’d allow us to use the extra real estate on the screen but things are… slightly bigger? I love complications and would love a watch face with more than 8 complications
get a fenix 7x you can have 10-12 on a face and it'll look good.

I only LIKE the ultra. I am a garmin person and not having good access to recovery stats keeps me on the fence.

akidokraja

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2013
Will you wear ultra daily even when
Absolutely. I do not wear dresses anymore after I turned 5. But seriously I would not even take it off ever if I didn’t have to charge it. Apple please unlimited power we need.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Did anybody look at anything? Why do so many people think it’s a bigger screen??
Maybe because Apple says it is? Quote: "The biggest and brightest Apple Watch display."
Which it is technically the biggest, but insignificantly so (~3%).
Brightest, yes absolutely, it has twice the max brightness in nits

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
Thanks. You were spot on. I went swimming this morning at 8.00am. It’s taken about 16 hours for the speaker to dry out and work properly. As I swim every day I guess I better get used to it.
Awesome, that’s good news. If they opened a service ticket let them know the resolution for their database since they should’ve asked about that in my opinion.

Reactions: decypher44
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.