Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Asiatic Black Hebrew

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2022
Just my two cents, but if you upgraded from a S7 to the Ultra for the sole reason of a bigger screen, you made the wrong purchase. As pointed above, it has been known since day one that the screen was only marginally bigger compared to the S7/S8.
This pretty much sums it up. Just like with the iPhone 14, seems like lots of folks are returning their items over things that have been public knowledge since the announcement.

ridgerock

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2022
I've never owned an Apple Watch so I don't have a sense of how much of a practical difference the increase in pixels between the Series 8 396 x 484 and the Ultra's 410 x 502. Most of the comments on this thread so far seem to be based on specs, rather than using the watch. I realize it is a small difference when you look at the math (3% more pixels by my calculations) but that could result in a worthwhile difference when it comes to daily use (plus the 2000 nits really matters, or it does with my iPhone 14 Pro Max). I have a small tremor so larger tap targets are always welcome, though I don't know if the extra pixels will result in larger ones.

Reactions: Johnly

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
Mine is going back to the Apple store on Monday as the speaker isn't working properly and is almost inaudible, even the siren wouldn’t wake a baby in the same room, very disappointing. Not thrilled on speaking to Apple that they wanted me to send it back for repair. I refused this as it isn’t fit for purpose so I’ve got an 80 mile round trip on Monday to hopefully get it exchanged. If they don’t have a replacement I will request a refund. When you‘re paying a premium price it’s reasonable to expect a premium service too.
I’m assuming, since you were in contact with Apple, that you have installed the 9.0.1 update to WatchOS that the MR article said deals with a speaker issue? I haven’t even tried a call on mine, but will do so now that I see your post. Hope yours gets resolved with no more hassle.

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
Nope. Definitely a keeper. The brilliance of the screen is its shape. I can swipe SO much easier than on my S6. Most of the time I try to swipe away notifications, it will actually open it up. But with the Ultra, super easy and super smooth. Plus, the overall size is perfect for me. I have a 200mm wrist, so it looks properly sized, while the 44 S6 looked small.

Last edited:

leebroath

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
Nope. Definitely a keeper. The brilliance of the screen is its shape. I can swipe SO much easier than on my S6. Most of the time I try to swipe away notifications, it will actually open it up. But with the Ultra, super easy and super smooth. Plus, the overall size is perfect for me. I have a 200mm wrist, so it looks properly sized, with the 44 S6 looked small.
What size if strap version did you buy? :)

Colinpp

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2022
I’m assuming, since you were in contact with Apple, that you have installed the 9.0.1 update to WatchOS that the MR article said deals with a speaker issue? I haven’t even tried a call on mine, but will do so now that I see your post. Hope yours gets resolved with no more hassle.
Yes updated straight after pairing. The speaker is supposed to be 40% louder than previous models but mine is about 80% quieter. impossible to take a call indoors, let alone out in the open world with background noise.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I just picked it up yesterday at the apple store. I'm going to give it 13 days and on Day 14, I will decide whether or not i'll keep it. I still have my SBTi AW 7 45 mm.

Reactions: jz0309

mikezmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2014
NH
0C3BBDB7-3FA8-4301-968E-E7BD9502B737.jpeg
I LOVE mine! The display is so bright and Amazing especially outside! The flat screen is also better !
I got mine yesterday. I set it up, did normal work day activity and then slept with it on. Today I did a 7 mile hike, mowed the lawn and I’m finally going to charge it for the 1st time ever! I started at 64% and ended at 16%

This watch is great!!

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
Everyone complaining about screen size should just buy an iphone 13 mini and duct tape it to their wrist.

For Wtf you need a bigger screen size on a watch than this?

I get this is the internet, and the point of being anonymous on the internet for lots of people is to flex your anger at others, but holy cats. Someone got a product, someone used the product, someone decided the product wasn't for them. Cool. Maybe that applies to you, maybe it doesn't. Maybe someone who was on the fence about screen size might read this and think, "ok, that's what I thought from the specs, good to know people are noticing this in real life. I better go see one in person before I spend $800" or the opposite, "ok, that's good. My Series 7's screen was just about perfect for me, good to know the Ultra doesn't go too crazy."

Not everything needs to be about preferences being "wrong." There are specs, and there are personal anecdotes, reactions, and preferences. Sometimes the latter is as helpful, if not more so, than a list of numbers.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I went from the S7 to the ultra and I have absolutely no regrets. Brighter screen, better battery life, better microphone and better speakers and not as dressy as the previous generation of watches. I can’t wait to go diving and surfing with it.
Next year I’m hoping they’ll bring out in different colours and reduce the bezels for an even bigger screen

b17

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2022
I get this is the internet, and the point of being anonymous on the internet for lots of people is to flex your anger at others, but holy cats. Someone got a product, someone used the product, someone decided the product wasn't for them. Cool. Maybe that applies to you, maybe it doesn't. Maybe someone who was on the fence about screen size might read this and think, "ok, that's what I thought from the specs, good to know people are noticing this in real life. I better go see one in person before I spend $800" or the opposite, "ok, that's good. My Series 7's screen was just about perfect for me, good to know the Ultra doesn't go too crazy."

Not everything needs to be about preferences being "wrong."
Complaining about screen size on six different topics is not asking questions, it started to be annoying.

Dguitarnut

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
St Petersburg Fl.
It’s a 100% keeper for me. Actually I like that it’s not that much larger screen than S8 as it’s not as chunky and heavy as my Rolex Seadweller and Panerai submersible 47mm…..which have become closet queens since my first series 6 apple. It has its own place when at the beach, boating etc as my S7 Titanium will own the more dressier occasions.

Toratek

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Mine is going back to the Apple store on Monday as the speaker isn't working properly and is almost inaudible, even the siren wouldn’t wake a baby in the same room, very disappointing. Not thrilled on speaking to Apple that they wanted me to send it back for repair. I refused this as it isn’t fit for purpose so I’ve got an 80 mile round trip on Monday to hopefully get it exchanged. If they don’t have a replacement I will request a refund. When you‘re paying a premium price it’s reasonable to expect a premium service too.

Did you get the watch wet? I have found that the water ejection doesn’t clear enough water to prevent muting the speakers. Blow it out or let it dry and check again- might save you an unnecessary trip.

• Haha
Reactions: gotong
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.