Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Asiatic Black Hebrew

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2022
I think you have it upside down mate. It’s not like people scream for a larger display. But when they make the watch the same size as an iPad mini and still don’t make the display significantly larger, that might be bugging some people.
Oddly enough, seems the iPad mini would suit you better than this watch if screen size is that important. This watch isn't meant to be a media consumption device. The screen is perfectly fine.
That’s exactly it. You’re already wearing a big watch if you have the Ultra. Why wouldn’t you want the screen to be as big as it could be. It won‘t affect the size of the watch.
Asking for what essentially would be a bezel-less screen, on what is being marketed as a rugged style adventure watch, is a very interesting hill to stand on. I can think of quite a few reasons why they didn't go in that direction.

CodeSpyder

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Orlando, FL
That’s the main reason I didn’t upgrade from my SS Series 7, 45mm. Once I realized the screen was essentially the same size and saw the bezel and how large it is on the Ultra I decided to wait. You just know they are going to make the screen larger in a version or two. If I was on anything earlier than my Series 7 I probably would have upgraded.
I think the bezels are part of the design to increase the ruggedness.

G.McGilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
I'm usually so gung-ho about new Apple purchases but...

I could return it... Hmm... Basically I paid $1300 for a brighter screen and longer lasting battery version of my S5 (as that does everything I need).

I never for a second doubted my S5 Ceramic purchase... Honestly thinking of giving up my S5 Ceramic now gives me more anxiety than returning this.

But I like nice things. I'll give it another 10 days. Could always return it and purchase again if I feel I made the wrong decision.

Reactions: gotong and shr631

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I'm usually so gung-ho about new Apple purchases but...

I could return it... Hmm... Basically I paid $1300 for a brighter screen and longer lasting battery version of my S5 (as that does everything I need).

I never for a second doubted my S5 Ceramic purchase... Honestly thinking of giving up my S5 Ceramic now gives me more anxiety than returning this.

But I like nice things. I'll give it another 10 days. Could always return it and purchase again if I feel I made the wrong decision.
For me I was getting about 16 hours per day on my S7. (Approximately 22 hour if I extrapolate the remaining battery left based on %, but I do not wear it to sleep. When I go to sleep or shower I always pop it on the charger - safest place to leave it.

I think the biggest advantage is for those people who go off the grid for a weekend - that is never my use case though.

Jimbo Asprilla

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2009
I'm keeping mine, but I don't blame people for returning theirs at all, the screen seems no bigger than my series 7 44mm, and its totally impractical for fitness, too top heavy for strenuous exercise, however I love the design and I appreciate the battery life, thats enough for me to keep it.

Johnly

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2022
“Chuckles“ I am a bit surprised that the determining factor for happiness on the ULTRA for some is the bezel. bedezzled about that bezel. I am learning that is a “priority“ for some folks above other utilities. I hope apple caters to these folks next round lol. I was actually quite pleased that the screen size is larger (think 45mm vs 46mm) to be exact. A 2mm bezel and a 1mm wrapped in aero space grade titanium is to much for some folks. What I don’t get is how someone expects something more svelte but twice the durability. You are going to have to make a sacrifice one way or the other. A bezel will always accompany an outdoor watch. The glass isn’t going to protect itself lol. Stick with the mainstream design apple has if a bezel bothers you. I was quite happy they still increased the size of the screen on the ULTRA enough to feel a difference (especially with swiping) and I would beg to differ having gloves on whilst using the device would be advantageous to have a little forgiveness towards the edge. I could see apple loosing 1mm of the bezel next year maybe, but that is only 1mm less than what it is now, and if being bedezzled is a priority, you will always do better staying away from outdoorsy rugged products. maybe ten years from now our watches can be screens with only a layer of graphene for a bezel, but for now, you will have to make a sacrifice one way or the other depending on what’s more important to you 👍🍺

Gewurtz66

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2022
I returned my Ultra yesterday.

I get it that it has great durability for use in rough conditions, etc. I'll be the first to admit I'm no extreme athlete but I did want a bigger face for readability/usability and I really liked the idea of having a watch with GPS waypoints and a night mode because I like to go on astrophotography trips where seeking out dark skies means there is zero cellphone coverage.

But the screen is barely bigger than the 7 and the bezel shape seems to awkward cut off text.

I'll wait til next year (though I absolutely loved the green alpine band)

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Thinking of returning mine. I love the stainless steel aesthetic too much and have too many leather bands from Apple and Hermes and it just doesn’t hit the same aesthetic note. Battery is the main draw for me though it’s rare for my S7 to die. I do have an Hermes S8 45mm as well that I’ll inclined to keep.

DIMESLIME

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2022
After a ******** with Best Buy mine was suppose to be here on launch day, but they ****ed that up! Instead it didn't even get boxed and shipped out until Friday night. Making its way from state to state it landed in my state of Minnesota at 345 am on Sunday morning and has just sit there since and as I am typing this on my new M2 MacBook Air. Its only an hour away can't wait to put this **** behind me. No I won't be returning it, unless of course there is a defect or its damaged. I went through this last week anticipating to get it and had to wait an extra three days. I got a nice size wrist so this will be perfect for me. It's the Apple Watch I have been waiting for and I haven't been this excited for a Apple product since the first iPhone and the first Apple Watch

NotApplicable

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2019
After a ******** with Best Buy mine was suppose to be here on launch day, but they ****ed that up! Instead it didn't even get boxed and shipped out until Friday night. Making its way from state to state it landed in my state of Minnesota at 345 am on Sunday morning and has just sit there since and as I am typing this on my new M2 MacBook Air. It’s only an hour away can't wait to put this **** behind me. No I won't be returning it, unless of course there is a defect or it’s damaged. I went through this last week anticipating to get it and had to wait an extra three days. I got a nice size wrist so this will be perfect for me. It's the Apple Watch I have been waiting for and I haven't been this excited for a Apple product since the first iPhone and the first Apple Watch
Nice

sjobsian

Suspended
Sep 18, 2022
Did you return the Apple Watch Ultra? Please vote and leave some comments.

I just got mine 2 days ago and please note I also have a new 45 mm Apple Watch Series 8. Here are my initial impressions:

• It's ugly as all hell. It looks like an unfinished prototype. Between this and the Gordon Gecko iPhone 14 Pro Max, Apple is no longer a leader in design in my view.
  • The sharp edges of the watch face are terrible compared to the regular Apple Watch Series 8. It's obtuse and it affects the usability of the watch. The smoother and rounded edges of the regular Series 8 Watch are much better. Big step backward usability wise for me.
  • I swear the screen is less sharp than a regular Apple Watch Series 8. It looks a bit hazy and slightly pixelated. I believe this has just slightly more PPI than an AW 8 so I just don't get it but to my eye it looks like a worse screen than the 8 and certainly less bright. Is Apple up to some greasy tricks to try and get the battery life longer?
  • For what you get, the price is absurd. I mean, you don't even get a nice sleeve for the watch itself like you do with the Series 8: it's just cheap, disposable tissue paper.
  • The crown with the protruding side frame around it is annoying as hell. The crown is actually harder to hit because it's blended in with this new protruding nonsense on the side. Yes, I get why they did it: they say it will aid in usability with a glove and etc. when in rough environments but for everyday use I'm frustrated with a Crown that is harder to use.
  • The new action button is beyond a gimmick to me. Jesus, is this thing useless. Apple, you have two buttons already on this watch and you can't figure this out. To me it's totally redundant and unnecessary... why not program the crown button or other button to simply be an action button...
  • Watch is fairly comfortable on the wrist.
  • Overall, it's just an Apple Watch at the end of the day.
I am leaning toward the option of returning this and going with the Series 8. I do rough it and want a watch that can handle being in the bush and needing longer battery life, etc. I may opt for Garmin when roughing it and use the Series 8 daily.

xxBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2020
I really like it.

One day before the apple event there were 3d renderings and i was like wtf apple why. At the keynote I thought wtf apple why. I ordered immediately the S8 but got a got amazon warehouse deal for a S7 so I went with that. On Friday 23th I ordered one for pickup.
But I thought "yeah let's secure one but first I want to try on a display model and then i probably cancel the order bc it's too big for me". Pls be aware: i have an avarage wrist of 18 cm but I like my mechanical watches to be small like my Black Bay 58 in 39 mm and 11.9 mm thickness.

I put on the Display watch and immediately said to the Apple guy "please bring me my order I'll take it" haha. Yeah it's thick and big but it's a sport watch. I will not wear it for formal events. Just everyday for sport and work.

I love the look. I think it looks better in person. I love the battery. I go to the gym 5x per week (in the morning) and go running/biking after work and I had to charge my S6/S7 twice a day (S7 was nice with fast charging). Also I hike frequently in the bavarian alps and have often trips with over 7-8h of hiking (f. e. I went on germany's highest mountain in 8:30h and my S6 only survived that because I recharged it twice while I had a break). I went 48h from friday to sunday with over 5:30h of workout recorded.

And finally a new design. I switched from S6 to S7 because battery on S6 was bad and needed fast charging (i first wanted the S8 but got a good deal for the S7) and there is nothing new. They looked nearly the same like my S4 and i like the new design.

Overall I'm very happy with it but again I'm more active than the average buyer.

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
I am leaning toward the option of returning this and going with the Series 8. I do rough it and want a watch that can handle being in the bush and needing longer battery life, etc. I may opt for Garmin when roughing it and use the Series 8 daily.
For a longer battery why not do as I do…. I take a portable charger with me when out for a couple of days. Keeps both my iPhone & Watch fully charged.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
I won’t buy one because it will look comedic on my 160mm wrist (there are people here posting pictures ,who have small wrists and it looks absolutely ridiculous on them) but size aside as much as I am interested in it’s features,I’m really not sure about the design (even if I had giant wrists and could get away with it.
I agree with your criticism of its design.
It seems unfinished design wise.
Also I’m pretty sure they will make them in smaller size to next generation.[/S

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...sions-and-photos-thread.2361468/post-31579125

Last edited:

nosnhojm

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2011

I just got mine 2 days ago and please note I also have a new 45 mm Apple Watch Series 8. Here are my initial impressions:

• It's ugly as all hell. It looks like an unfinished prototype. Between this and the Gordon Gecko iPhone 14 Pro Max, Apple is no longer a leader in design in my view.
  • The sharp edges of the watch face are terrible compared to the regular Apple Watch Series 8. It's obtuse and it affects the usability of the watch. The smoother and rounded edges of the regular Series 8 Watch are much better. Big step backward usability wise for me.
  • I swear the screen is less sharp than a regular Apple Watch Series 8. It looks a bit hazy and slightly pixelated. I believe this has just slightly more PPI than an AW 8 so I just don't get it but to my eye it looks like a worse screen than the 8 and certainly less bright. Is Apple up to some greasy tricks to try and get the battery life longer?
  • For what you get, the price is absurd. I mean, you don't even get a nice sleeve for the watch itself like you do with the Series 8: it's just cheap, disposable tissue paper.
  • The crown with the protruding side frame around it is annoying as hell. The crown is actually harder to hit because it's blended in with this new protruding nonsense on the side. Yes, I get why they did it: they say it will aid in usability with a glove and etc. when in rough environments but for everyday use I'm frustrated with a Crown that is harder to use.
  • The new action button is beyond a gimmick to me. Jesus, is this thing useless. Apple, you have two buttons already on this watch and you can't figure this out. To me it's totally redundant and unnecessary... why not program the crown button or other button to simply be an action button...
I think you misunderstand this watch; most of your cons are related to form, not function. This watch is a highly functional watch (for its intended market) at the expense of form. The S8 still exists for a reason.

JackDavis

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2022

I think you completely missed the point. It's called a crown guard, the crown is supposed to be harder to hit.

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
I agree about the sharp edges. Went for a look at one in store and was really surprised how sharp they were, not just around the screen but also on the right "hump" surrounding the crown. I was expecting they'd be slightly rounded like the corners of an iPhone but no.

I can see these attracting dings over time.

Last edited:

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
I think you completely missed the point. It's called a crown guard, the crown is supposed to be harder to hit.
In all the years since the first Apple Watch came out not one have I ever damaged an Apple Watch or hit the crown your arm protects it, this Watch is plain ugly and not worth it went back to series 7 stainless steel and was like I just brought a new watch

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020

Completely agree after having it for 24 hours I started to actually hate it lol I couldn’t wait to leave work and go back to series 7

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.