Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Hyundai's luxury brand Genesis has been gaining increasing attention over the course of its relatively short lifetime, and I recently had a chance to try out a 2023 Electrified GV70 SUV to see how the infotainment experience stacks up for an iPhone owner.

2023-gv70.jpg

My test vehicle was a high-end Prestige trim with a beautiful 14.5-inch widescreen center screen, complemented by a 12.3-inch all-digital driver display featuring autostereoscopic 3D technology, plus an additional head-up display for viewing key information without having to take your eyes off the road.

2023-gv70-sky.jpg
Infotainment display

The GV70's center display is mounted high on the dashboard and set back a decent amount, which puts it in a good spot for glancing at without having to look too far away from what's in front of you, but the positioning and widescreen dimensions make operating it via the touchscreen a bit of a reach. To address that, Genesis also includes a rotary controller and a number of buttons within easy reach of the driver on the center console.

2023-gv70-rotary-controller.jpg
Rotary controller located above a rotary shifter dial

The rotary controller includes a dial for navigating between user interface elements, and you can press the dial to register your selection, but the dial can also be rocked to move more quickly move between pages and sections in the system. The surface of the controller is also touch-sensitive, allowing you to draw out letters when trying to search for destinations or performing other tasks where text entry is needed. Voice commands are typically a much superior method for this, however.

In addition to the rotary controller, there are several buttons located directly above it on the console to quickly access specific functions in the infotainment system, including dedicated Home, Menu, and Back buttons. Scroll-style buttons also allow for easy volume and tuning adjustments.

2023-gv70-steering-wheel.jpg
Steering wheel controls

Steering wheel controls are another method for controlling some infotainment functions, and there's even another strip of buttons on the center stack below the climate controls with quick access to the map, navigation, radio, and media functions. This strip and the steering wheel each have a user-configurable "star" button that can be set to jump you straight into CarPlay.

And yes, climate controls have their own dedicated section separate from the main infotainment screen and they include a combination of physical and digital controls that works quite well. The driver and passenger each have a knob for adjusting the temperature for their respective sides of the cabin, and there additional commonly used controls to the outside of these dials.

2023-gv70-climate.jpg
Dedicated climate controls

These climate controls are not individual buttons, but the small panels they're on do move when pressed, providing some tactile feedback. Other settings like heated and cooled seats, heated steering wheel, and manual fan speed adjustments are made on a digital screen, so they're harder to manage by feel, although they do provide some haptic and audio feedback when pressed.

2023-gv70-menu.jpg
Menu screen for native infotainment

For the most part, the native infotainment system has a sleek, modern look, with high-resolution graphics and a logical layout of screens and panels that's easy to navigate using the rotary controller or by touch.

2023-gv70-nature-sounds.jpg
Nature sounds

A full array of functions are available, from SiriusXM to onboard navigation to EV data. There are even a variety of soothing nature sounds that can be piped throughout the cabin, and there's a weather app complete with a radar view.

2023-gv70-nav.jpeg
Built-in navigation

The onboard navigation is functional and helpful with both overview and next-turn views available simultaneously while a route is in progress, but the look could stand some modernization to better match the rest of the infotainment system.

In the driver's display, Genesis includes the neat Blind-Spot View Monitor system that Hyundai has offered for a number of years, which uses cameras on the side-view mirror to display a live video feed of your blind spot on a given side when you engage your turn signal. It's a handy feature that I wish was common in more brands.

2023-gv70-driver-display.jpg
Driver display with stereoscopic 3D view and Blind-Spot View Monitor

The other clever driver's display feature that comes as part of the Prestige package on the GV70 is the 3D aspect. It's something you really have to experience in person to fully grasp, but it takes advantage of parallax with offset images to turn gauges and other digital aspects of the instrument cluster into three-dimensional representations that give a sense of depth.

A camera pointed at the driver tracks their position and gaze, adjusting the 3D effect accordingly. The whole thing is a bit gimmicky, but it's kind of neat and stands out as something different to help set the high-end Genesis trims apart.

2023-gv70-charging.jpg
USB ports and wireless charging pad in center console

The GV70 includes a pair of USB-A ports (one for charge and data and one for charging only) in a small cubby on the center console that also includes a wireless Qi charger. As with many car chargers, it can be difficult to get a reliable wireless charging connection, likely due to the slab-style charger design and the iPhone's camera bump and case lip interfering with positioning on the charger... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: Review: 2023 Genesis Electrified GV70 Offers Lots of Tech, but You'll Need a Cable for CarPlay

• Haha
Reactions: prefuse07

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
USB A???

How long is this car going to take to charge? At least ill be able to use my mophie battery bank from 2016 as a backup in the trunk.

I guess its a positive that you dont have to roll the car over to charge it like Apples mice.

Being serious tho, USB C really should come as standard now. At least one of each port (A and C)

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
Personally, I prefer a corded connection for CarPlay. Apple still needs to do a lot more work on integration with the automakers, and limiting the connection to a physical wire has been better for me.
Yea, but you don't always want your phone charging. Sometimes I don't even take my phone out of my pocket, and would hate for that to get in the way of me using CarPlay.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
2023 Electrified GV70 SUV
I assume this is a hybrid? Edit: no, it's an EV. Confusing "Electrified" with what Toyota now calls their hybrids ...

Our 2022 Tucson PHEV has wireless CarPlay, so does my 2022 Bolt EUV. not sure I would use CarPlay on every drive if I had to plug my phone in ...

Last edited:

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
I assume this is a hybrid?
Our 2022 Tucson PHEV has wired CarPlay, so does my 2022 Bolt EUV. not sure I would use CarPlay on every drive if I had to plug my phone in ...
It’s not that big of a deal. I had to do this and it takes a second. Even on short trips I used it.

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
Oh my what is going on with the rear quarter of this vehicle. For the most part I like what Hyundai has done with the Genesis line until this design. And the rear quarter of the Ioniq 6 as well, a vehicle I was considering until I saw it in person.

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
This is the same in the higher end Hyundais which would be using the same guts in their infotainment system as these Genesis. Wired CarPlay.
weirdly, lower spec Hyundais do have wireless CarPlay.

Reactions: james2538

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
USB A???

How long is this car going to take to charge? At least ill be able to use my mophie battery bank from 2016 as a backup in the trunk.

I guess its a positive that you dont have to roll the car over to charge it like Apples mice.

Being serious tho, USB C really should come as standard now. At least one of each port (A and C)
Even my 2024 Mazda is all USB-C and wireless CarPlay (wired through C is you prefer). They’ve already moved on.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Hyundai owns Genesis but they also own Kia which makes my Telluride X-Pro. This thing reminds me a lot of my Telly, from fit and finish to the electronics. Wired CarPlay is annoying, I just bought a CarlinKit 3.0 which does a great job transmitting the CarPlay wirelessly. I also love the blindspot cameras in the dash that pop up—they are one of my favorite features on my Telly. I keep seeing reviewers saying they wish this feature would come to other car brands, but it may be patented? It's really slick.

I wish Hyundai would make a luxury brand for Kia, because the Telluride is basically in a different class compared to other Kias and it looks the part both inside and out. They could start a luxury brand with the Telluride as the base and move up market from there. The ride is so smooth and quiet on the road, and it has a lot of features (wired CarPlay being the only big feature knock I have against it). My only other complaint is they don't offer a hybrid version for better MPG and a little more pep. Acceleration isn't bad, at 293hp, but I'm thinking a hybrid in the 350hp range that gets 32-34MPG would be ideal. Mine is rated for 18/24 and the highway number seems accurate but in the city it's more like 16 most of the time, probably because I have the X-Pro which has off-road tires, though they have a fairly mild tread pattern and ride quietly.

sparkinstx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2017
Hyundai owns Genesis but they also own Kia which makes my Telluride X-Pro. This thing reminds me a lot of my Telly, from fit and finish to the electronics. Wired CarPlay is annoying, I just bought a CarlinKit 3.0 which does a great job transmitting the CarPlay wirelessly. I also love the blindspot cameras in the dash that pop up—they are one of my favorite features on my Telly. I keep seeing reviewers saying they wish this feature would come to other car brands, but it may be patented? It's really slick.

I wish Hyundai would make a luxury brand for Kia, because the Telluride is basically in a different class compared to other Kias and it looks the part both inside and out. They could start a luxury brand with the Telluride as the base and move up market from there. The ride is so smooth and quiet on the road, and it has a lot of features (wired CarPlay being the only big feature knock I have against it). My only other complaint is they don't offer a hybrid version for better MPG and a little more pep. Acceleration isn't bad, at 293hp, but I'm thinking a hybrid in the 350hp range that gets 32-34MPG would be ideal. Mine is rated for 18/24 and the highway number seems accurate but in the city it's more like 16 most of the time, probably because I have the X-Pro which has off-road tires, though they have a fairly mild tread pattern and ride quietly.
There was a plan for a luxury version of Kia at one time - the Kia Amati was supposed to be one of those cars.

Reactions: james2538
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.